U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 11:22 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,877,543 times

Advertisements

without making it look like you have something to hide, therefore possibly eliminating yourself from the process?

Long story short( kinda short anyway), I'd like to apply for a job without my current employer knowing. Yes, I do have a reference from a co-worker, but in order to be seriously considered I believe I'd need a reference or two from my immediate supervisor and HR ( my reference is from someone in high standing in the company). Now, don't get me wrong, I have a good relationship with my supervisor and HR, and overall good standing with the company( as far as I know based on performance appraisals), but I've become dissatisfied overall with my employer( for reasons too numerous to go into here) and I feel I need a change of scenery. I can trust the co-worker who's already provided a reference as he's looking to move himself, but I don't otherwise want it out there that I'm looking.

So, how do I apply to this new job and 'politely' tell them that I'd rather they not contact my HR as I'm looking for a job anonymously? For obvious reasons, I'm concerned about the potential fallout if my employer finds out, and I'm unsuccessful in applying to the other company. But there's also the chance that the prospective employer could see this as me having something to hide, and discard my application.

What to do here, and how to go about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 11:31 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,874,897 times
Companies, as a rule, know that curently employed people are not wanting their employers to know they are job hunting. Never in my entire life have I thought anyone would call my current employer...

Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,267,992 times
I don't ee the issue just tell them. It's done all the time. I'd imagine that MOST people wouldn't want their current employers to know they're looking to leave.

Online apps have question: can we contact your current employer -- just say NO.
You have a co-worker reference.

IF at ANY TIME -- EVER -- this co-worker has edited, checked, approved your work, or assigned you any work. That person - although not your full-time manager -- technically in those duties has supervised your work.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Online apps have question: can we contact your current employer -- just say NO.
This isn't an online application. I guess I'm just a bit paranoid...

Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,742,240 times
This is the norm, not the exception. Pretty much no one wants their current job contacted when they are job searching.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:41 AM

156 posts, read 466,467 times
In the first sentence of your cover letter and any other correspondence, state "I am applying in confidence".

When you first speak to them, state that you are apply in confidence. If you state that when you first speak to them they will usually acknowledge it and let you know that they will keep your inquiry private (as they should anyway).

After you get that verbal acknowledgement, you probably can stop stating that every time.

Good Luck - that's really the best you can do. If its a small industry and the company you are applying to knows your current company - then proceed at your own risk.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:50 AM

Thanks so far for the comments- this is my second job since I finished college a decade ago, and there was a gap between the first and my current job where I did some traveling, so it's never been a concern of mine to worry about this kind of thing.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:28 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,962,550 times
As noted above, you tell them that you are applying in confidence and, unless you are a serious final contender, you do not want your current employer contacted. It shouldn't be a big deal--it certainly isn't for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or