U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 PM
 
Location: NW San Antonio
2,953 posts, read 8,629,332 times
Reputation: 3211

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
There are tons of people who feel the need to call and ask...."did you receive my resume" which is probably why I;m receiving these pointless emails from employers.

Pointless emails to avoid them having to answer pointless phone calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Pointless emails to avoid them having to answer pointless phone calls.

Yup, LOL I was reading the email like..."HUH? I always knew my resume was being reviewed after I submitted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Out West
22,760 posts, read 16,841,238 times
Reputation: 26303
I have received a few of those over the past year and it's usually almost immediately after I submit an application...at least within a day or two. They've all been automated.

It is, to me, a way to let you know that they received it, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't mind it because at least I'm acknowledged, even if by an automaton...which is more than I can say for some humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I have received a few of those over the past year and it's usually almost immediately after I submit an application...at least within a day or two. They've all been automated.

It is, to me, a way to let you know that they received it, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't mind it because at least I'm acknowledged, even if by an automaton...which is more than I can say for some humans.

But the fact that these were PERSONAL emails is what made it bizarre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2012, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Out West
22,760 posts, read 16,841,238 times
Reputation: 26303
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
But the fact that these were PERSONAL emails is what made it bizarre
Well, it doesn't take them long to add in your name in the space...

"Dear (fill in the blank)

What seems like a personal letter, we are rejecting you, thanks for applying.

Sincerely,

Automaton"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2012, 11:19 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well, it doesn't take them long to add in your name in the space...

"Dear (fill in the blank)

What seems like a personal letter, we are rejecting you, thanks for applying.

Sincerely,

Automaton"


Well I will say I have never received a email like that from a company when it was a job I really wanted. So far it's only been from me applying to jobs I don't want which is fine by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2012, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,370 posts, read 24,120,799 times
Reputation: 8869
Quote:
"We have received your resume and if your skills and qualifications met the expectations of the position we will contact you for a personal interview."


Depending on the Company, I used to get postcards or letters in the mail telling me the same thing. I've even has some Companies send me a letter after the closing of the position thanking me for applying and that my resume/app would be held on file for six months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2012, 03:15 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Depending on the Company, I used to get postcards or letters in the mail telling me the same thing. I've even has some Companies send me a letter after the closing of the position thanking me for applying and that my resume/app would be held on file for six months.
Yeah I had a stupid post card arrive last week and was like...."WTF is this" LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top