U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 05:44 PM

15,036 posts, read 21,772,182 times

Advertisements

I just don't understand why companies bother with such long interviews when their mind is made up. Years ago I interviewed with a company and had to go through a day of work (without pay) AND took a day off of my job.

They called me and said I didn't get the job. I was furious, because they knew BEFORE they sent me out for the day of work. They said the reason they didn't hire me was the way I answered a question. I told them I didn't want to relocate immidiately....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 07:15 PM

1,804 posts, read 7,009,853 times
A day later I'm still steamed. By way of background, they said I was above the entry level positions they were hiring for, but they might have use for someone with my background. Here is my actual response (no I didn't send what I wanted to say):

Dear Interviewer 1 (VP) and Interviewer 2 (Company Co-Founder):

Thank you for taking the time to meet with me about your company and potential opportunities. I am impressed by your products and environment. During the interview, we discussed my drafting a plan to identify the value I could add to your company. However, I received notice that I am no longer a candidate at your company. If that letter pertains only to the original position, but there may be an opportunity in the future I would like to remain in contact.

Additionally, I am still willing to provide a summary of the financial and decision analytics I could provide Company X. I would also be willing to work part-time on ad hoc projects if you have some issues I could help solve, and so that you could better gauge the contributions I could make.

If you feel there simply is not a fit for me in your organization, I would appreciate your candid feedback.

Best regards,

Coolcats

A bit of fluff and BS in that letter, I know. But they didn't even have the courtesy of sending a 30 second reply saying that I didn't fit in their organization, so that I would know for certain. I have interviewed people before and if they sent a follow up, I respected that and always sent a response.

Maybe they were both out of the office today. I'm probably being hyper-sensitive, but it still ticks me off. I found a half dozen other jobs to apply for just now. Time to move on.

Last edited by coolcats; 06-29-2012 at 07:28 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 PM

22,783 posts, read 16,859,428 times
In response to your original posting, I would like to respond to one company in such a manner. This is not THE company I want so badly but it's my second choice. I have applied 7 times at this place and thus far I have been rejected 6 times. (I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I receive that canned rejection yet again.)

Dear Wonderful Company I Wanted To Work For:

I almost made it last year. I was so close. For whatever reason, (although we should both just stop the crap and reveal that we both know why), you chose the other candidate. But, you liked me. You REALLY liked me. I heard you talking to each other so I know it for a fact, not just some "feeling". You told me to keep trying. I knew you really liked me so I did.

Seven. Times.

Now? I don't even get an interview? Now I am demoted to canned automated responses that say the exact same thing each and every time? You keep telling me to keep trying and like a fool, I did.

So, as I said above, let's cut the crap. It's obvious you have no interest in hiring me. It's obvious you are never going to hire me. I have everything you want, you have met me, you liked me, and you almost did hire me out of God knows how many people applied.

I was second place.

Well guess what. You are also second place. You're not my top choice either but I still would have given you a chance and worked hard for you; would have been an exceptional employee for you. But I think it's time you stop sending me the same b.s. you keep sending me and just tell me, "Ok, look. Stop applying here because we are never going to hire you. We no longer like you for ___________ (fill in your reason). So just quit it."

I would also like to point out that I applied for the very same EXACT job that I almost had one year ago. Yes, the same one. You know, the one you chose another for? She left not even a year later.

I would have stayed. I'd still be working there. So maybe you aren't as wonderful as I thought you were.

Yes, I have reviewed your qualifications and while your skills are exemplary, I have decided to go after another job. Feel free to ask me again in the future. The answer is not, 'no', it's, "HELL no".

Have a great week.

Regards,

Three Wolves In Snow

(Of course I would never send this...I'm not an idiot.)

Old 06-30-2012, 11:08 AM

Nicely written. This is at least cathartic if not totally productive.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:20 AM

22,783 posts, read 16,859,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Nicely written. This is at least cathartic if not totally productive.
LOL! No, it's not productive but it sure feels good!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:53 PM

21,376 posts, read 24,142,259 times
Quote:
... how I would really like to respond
Send them a thank you card for taking the time to interview you.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:19 AM

2,683 posts, read 3,419,865 times
This whole thread reminds me of this:

Something Funny: The Riley Guide

Old 07-01-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
This whole thread reminds me of this:

Something Funny: The Riley Guide
That is awesome. Maybe sometime there will be a place where I won't mind burning a bridge and I'll use that technique -- just to keep them guessing.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:24 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,798,259 times
Here's a few I'd like to write:

1) For the company that called me about a job and then skipped out on 2 phone interviews before setting up an on-site that ended with a rejection letter mailed almost immediately?!

Dear Dimbulb Enterprises:

I greatly appreciate the opportunity to apply to your company, and I am glad that I was able to have an on-site interview after the two phone interviews were so poorly attended. Your company is clearly young and dynamic - why, I didn't see anyone in the place over 30! - and I am impressed with the hiring credentials you demand of your employees, such as a minimum bust size and maximum IQ for the HR reps.

I apologize for any concerns I may have expressed about the company's seeming inability to plan ahead and properly meet cost and schedule goals - I understand now that dealing with these daily concerns is part of the fun atmosphere you provide. Anyway, I am disappointed that I was not hired, especially since I was rejected even before receiving the job application that the HR rep promised to email me weeks before the on-site interview. I assume there's a good reason for all of this, though I have no idea what it is, and I wish you the best of luck in your future mistakes.

2) For the companies that post jobs for which I'm clearly qualified, interview me and act impressed, and then choose to hire nobody and leave the job up on their website forever.

Dear Windowshoppers Inc.

Thank you again for taking my time for an on-site interview with your corporation. I was particularly impressed with the match between my years of experience and the job requirements for the posted position, and I am glad that you and the entire engineering team agreed that I would be a good fit for the company and clearly felt I could do the job.

Of course, I also understand the need to maintain the illusion of growth in a dying economy, which I assume is why you chose to hire no one vs. someone like me who was perfectly capable of performing the needed tasks. I also appreciate you telling me in the interview how most of the posted jobs for which I had been applying for the past year were fake listings and that only now was the company actually intending to hire anyone. Your salesmanship was impressive, since I actually believed you and figured that acing an on-site interview would lead to my employment, or at least somebody's employment since you clearly said you were hiring. An excellent trick, and I commend you on your dishonesty! Best of luck in your future mistakes!

3) And for the local community college twits who didn't take my application for a lab tech position seriously, had 2 onsite interviews for it, and who favored nepotism vs. performance:

Dear Low-rent College

Thank you again for the fascinating interviews with your institution of higher learning. I was very impressed by the dynamic, on-the-fly nature of your lab support team; in fact, if I didn't know better, I would have assumed that they were completely unprepared for the interview and were making it up as they went! I never knew Windows Vista and Windows 7 were completely identical, nor did I know that the proper way to store a Windows 7 registration key was on a piece of scrap paper tossed on the floor. I was also particularly impressed with the distain I received from everyone involved in the process - it is nice to feel so welcome! I understand why I wasn't hired, especially after learning that the lab manager who ran the interviews is the son of the department manager who didn't take me seriously, and when I am able to prove a family connection to said manager, I'll reapply and hopefully be accepted.

What, me bitter?

Last edited by Rambler123; 07-01-2012 at 09:53 AM..

Old 07-01-2012, 11:12 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,924,598 times
Rambler, thanks for a good laugh! That was great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search