U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:20 PM

12,320 posts, read 15,244,934 times

Advertisements

When I get one I almost want to thank them for taking the time to tell me instead of the lazy way of not responding and expecting me to figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 04:52 PM

15,050 posts, read 21,810,854 times
There was a job I interviewed for and the recruiter told me I was one of the final candidates. He asked if I was 'sure' I wanted the job. I said yes!!! The next day I got an automated letter stating I was no longer being considered. The person they hired (internal) lasted 6 months. I got a call then and they asked if I would still be interested.

I ended up getting the job and understood why the other person only lasted 6 months. It was HORRIBLE working conditions. I started looking after six months and it took me awhile to find the right fit. I think if I had been hired the first time around I would have lasted. Unfortunately right after I was hired, two bosses quit and the entire department dynamics changed.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:58 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,808,377 times
Veuvegirl: Glad you got the job since it at least counts on the resume, even though it ended up being a mess... no wonder folks quite after around 6 months! Bummer...

I hate "trick questions" on interviews, too, such as "are you sure you want to work here."

One I ran into was, "which department do you want to work in?" Well, to be honest, they all related to my field, and as I told them, I'd gladly work in whichever department needed me - I'm not picky, I'm just looking for an appropriate job where I can use my skills. I get the impression that was the wrong answer, but the killer is that the interviewers never told me which department was hiring?! It was a vague situation where the company was "looking for people" in general, yet I was apparently supposed to guess correctly as to which department actually needed people?! Not that it really matters since in the end, they hired no one!

Old 07-01-2012, 05:08 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,518,886 times
Some people dwell on the past. Others move forward.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,098,055 times
$15 in gas? I drove 700 miles for my last interview and they didn't even bother notifying me of a rejection. You should at least be happy that you received a rejection letter instead of being dragged along, unaware of your status.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:09 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,098,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodycool View Post
The best is when you call back to get an update after interviewing and after calling back 1 time a week 3 times, you just stop calling and nobody ever gets back to you.
I've never understood this. They know when they want to hire someone. You think that bothering them with phone calls or emails is going to help your chances of getting the job?

Old 07-01-2012, 09:51 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,107,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
2) For the companies that post jobs for which I'm clearly qualified, interview me and act impressed, and then choose to hire nobody and leave the job up on their website forever.
I understand from your side why you dislike this, but often there is a compassionate and rational reason. Presently,we have a subsidiary with several open positions (several they interviewed folks for),but they are unsure how well they will do in their shortly to start new fiscal year. One bid will either result in their being able to afford backfilling the spots and hitting reasonable profit targets, or not being able to backfill and hit slightly lower targets. If they filled them now, but lost the bid, we'd require them to lay off equivalent personnel costs (pay and benes) to what these positions add. So that corp that does not fill the spots could well be in similar straights; avoiding certain layoffs caused by backfilling if business conditions do not allow for it.

How would YOU have felt had your ex employer added staff for open spots, than fired you to keep the decisions to hire cost neutral?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:04 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,450,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I never apply again at places that have rejected me once already any how. So that really doesnt matter.

Additionally, I wouldnt dream of reapplying for some place I have no respect for as a company.

Actually, I got a job making 15% more the next week somewhere else, and was offered yet another job a couple weeks after that for even more. So, obviously it was their problem, not my problem.

I guess though, in your world, where the employer is always right, the employee is always wrong by virtue of the lopsided employment agreement, we should all just continue to kiss the ass of a smug gatekeeper for the rest of our lives, just hoping and praying, that maybe we can be the person they want one day.
You complain about your job on a daily basis on this forum, and you burn a bridge with every employer who rejects you once?

Good luck with that champ. You are creating your career problems.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,808,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I understand from your side why you dislike this, but often there is a compassionate and rational reason. Presently,we have a subsidiary with several open positions (several they interviewed folks for),but they are unsure how well they will do in their shortly to start new fiscal year. One bid will either result in their being able to afford backfilling the spots and hitting reasonable profit targets, or not being able to backfill and hit slightly lower targets. If they filled them now, but lost the bid, we'd require them to lay off equivalent personnel costs (pay and benes) to what these positions add. So that corp that does not fill the spots could well be in similar straights; avoiding certain layoffs caused by backfilling if business conditions do not allow for it.

How would YOU have felt had your ex employer added staff for open spots, than fired you to keep the decisions to hire cost neutral?
If you are unsure about a job's long-term future or if it will even exist, you label it a "Blue Sky" position or clearly flag it as "pending contract win" - a few companies I've seen have the common sense and decency to do that.

There is NO good reason to post a job with the impression you're hiring and then: interview a candidate and have the whole team act impressed with him, clearly explain the work he'll be doing, give him a complete tour of the place, only to ignore him and all the other candidates while leaving the job up on your website for YEARS. Oh, and then most of these places ignore all future applications from any candidate that didn't get the job the first time even though the company WASN'T HIRING... yet they act like it is the fault of the unemployed! And this isn't me making assumptions - I've had companies flat out TELL me that the above insanity is how they regularly run their hiring operations!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:41 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,030,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You complain about your job on a daily basis on this forum, and you burn a bridge with every employer who rejects you once?

Good luck with that champ. You are creating your career problems.
No, I burn bridges with companies I have no respect for, which amounted to two in my life that I can remember. One was the company that decided to give me an oral accounting test with out warning and without consideration that accounting is not an "oral" subject, and the other was one that blatantly lied about the salary, came back with a figure about 20% lower than what was originally discussed, and expected me to still take the job. These are companies I wouldnt work for, for almost any reasonable pay amount.

For the most part, companies I get rejected from, I simply just dont apply for again. Those are very few, since Ive been offered about 90% of the jobs Ive ever interviewed for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search