U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,295,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
No, I burn bridges with companies I have no respect for, which amounted to two in my life that I can remember. One was the company that decided to give me an oral accounting test with out warning and without consideration that accounting is not an "oral" subject, and the other was one that blatantly lied about the salary, came back with a figure about 20% lower than what was originally discussed, and expected me to still take the job. These are companies I wouldnt work for, for almost any reasonable pay amount.

For the most part, companies I get rejected from, I simply just dont apply for again. Those are very few, since Ive been offered about 90% of the jobs Ive ever interviewed for.
I honestly like the way you think. I was in a similar situation with a company I interviewed with here in Manhattan. The lady threw out some math that she couldn't compute then responded with, "Well, You're the one in Finance, so what is the answer".

Really?

If I would have known any better (like yourself) I would excused myself and walked right on out. They didn't want to hire me anyway. I could tell how they rushed the entire interview because there was an important meeting they needed to attend. So why schedule the interview then? Sheer genious.

And when they asked me my greatest weakness..that should have been my first sign to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,425,436 times
Quote:
No, I burn bridges with companies I have no respect for, which amounted to two in my life that I can remember. One was the company that decided to give me an oral accounting test with out warning and without consideration that accounting is not an "oral" subject, and the other was one that blatantly lied about the salary, came back with a figure about 20% lower than what was originally discussed, and expected me to still take the job. These are companies I wouldnt work for, for almost any reasonable pay amount.

For the most part, companies I get rejected from, I simply just dont apply for again. Those are very few, since Ive been offered about 90% of the jobs Ive ever interviewed for.
So you didn't entertain any salary negotiations with the second one?

There is never a reason to send the kind of message that you claim you send on the first page of this thread. Your first post showcased an attitude that is the epitome of unprofessionalism and immaturity.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:06 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,015,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you didn't entertain any salary negotiations with the second one?
I "entertained salary negotiations" when we first arrived at the figure I THOUGHT I was going to get paid. I was then given a new figure after a couple days, that was 20% lower, and non negotiable.

I suppose the company figured I was desperate enough to take anything, and was blatantly trying to low ball me. I decided not to take the position, and they ended up hiring someone else far less qualified who would work for dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
There is never a reason to send the kind of message that you claim you send on the first page of this thread. Your first post showcased an attitude that is the epitome of unprofessionalism and immaturity.
Youve probably read enough posts of mine to realize that Im highly vindictive, and 100% buy into the eye for an eye doctrine. I could care less if someone like you, considers it "unprofessional" or "immature". I consider it revenge for doing me wrong. I have absolutely no problem sinking to the level of a person or entity that did me wrong, and at no point will I ever "take the high road".

I have a mental list of people right now Ive run across over my professional life, including the complete chain of command over me at my last job, that if I EVER get in a position to completely screw their lives up, I will not hesitate for a second, and they better pray I never get in a position to do so.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:19 AM

18,677 posts, read 17,067,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
If you are unsure about a job's long-term future or if it will even exist, you label it a "Blue Sky" position or clearly flag it as "pending contract win" - a few companies I've seen have the common sense and decency to do that.

There is NO good reason to post a job with the impression you're hiring and then: interview a candidate and have the whole team act impressed with him, clearly explain the work he'll be doing, give him a complete tour of the place, only to ignore him and all the other candidates while leaving the job up on your website for YEARS. Oh, and then most of these places ignore all future applications from any candidate that didn't get the job the first time even though the company WASN'T HIRING... yet they act like it is the fault of the unemployed! And this isn't me making assumptions - I've had companies flat out TELL me that the above insanity is how they regularly run their hiring operations!
In many cases it is not that clear cut. Bid in question is more than a 50/50, so probability is with backfilling.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 AM

rambler123, How would YOU have felt had your ex employer added staff for open spots, than fired you to keep the decisions to hire cost neutral?

Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,425,436 times
Quote:
I "entertained salary negotiations" when we first arrived at the figure I THOUGHT I was going to get paid. I was then given a new figure after a couple days, that was 20% lower, and non negotiable.

I suppose the company figured I was desperate enough to take anything, and was blatantly trying to low ball me. I decided not to take the position, and they ended up hiring someone else far less qualified who would work for dirt.

Youve probably read enough posts of mine to realize that Im highly vindictive, and 100% buy into the eye for an eye doctrine. I could care less if someone like you, considers it "unprofessional" or "immature". I consider it revenge for doing me wrong. I have absolutely no problem sinking to the level of a person or entity that did me wrong, and at no point will I ever "take the high road".

I have a mental list of people right now Ive run across over my professional life, including the complete chain of command over me at my last job, that if I EVER get in a position to completely screw their lives up, I will not hesitate for a second, and they better pray I never get in a position to do so.
Dude...you might need professional help. This type of thinking is nor normal or healthy.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,789,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
rambler123, How would YOU have felt had your ex employer added staff for open spots, than fired you to keep the decisions to hire cost neutral?
You're not getting what I'm saying - if a job is short-term, you be up-front about it and clearly state this in the job description and to the candidate. The same applies for jobs that would only exist if a contract is won by the company. Don't deceive candidates with lies about how the company is currently hiring, how great the candidate is, and how soon they'll be "getting back to you." Just be honest - don't waste people's time with jobs that basically doesn't exist.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
You're not getting what I'm saying - if a job is short-term, you be up-front about it and clearly state this in the job description and to the candidate. The same applies for jobs that would only exist if a contract is won by the company. Don't deceive candidates with lies about how the company is currently hiring, how great the candidate is, and how soon they'll be "getting back to you." Just be honest - don't waste people's time with jobs that basically doesn't exist.
That I agree with. Now answer my question, were your corp to hire expecting to win a contract, it than loses it, and you, not the new hire, are laid off, how do you feel? Bear in mind, even when one thinks they will likely win a contract, like all humans, they can be wrong.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,789,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
That I agree with. Now answer my question, were your corp to hire expecting to win a contract, it than loses it, and you, not the new hire, are laid off, how do you feel? Bear in mind, even when one thinks they will likely win a contract, like all humans, they can be wrong.
Any corporation that hires a mountain of people whose continued employment depends solely upon the company later winning a major contract is mismanaged. If huge, dinosaur corporations like major defense contractors can have the common sense to ramp up hiring AFTER winning "the big contract," there is no excuse for other corporations to fail this basic common sense test. Even my former employer, which was one of the most mismanaged companies I've ever seen, usually had wit enough not to hire huge numbers of people before actually winning a contract.

As for laying off experienced people and hiring new people at the same time, I haven't seen that specifically. It would be stupid, of course, since the company would be gutting its own abilities by getting rid of experience, but if it is cheaper in the short term, it sounds like the type of dumb "cost-cutting" decisions modern companies would make.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:10 AM

2,342 posts, read 2,909,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Got another rejection letter:

Dear Coolcats,

Thank you for interviewing for a position at Company X.

The panel enjoyed meeting you and getting to know a little more about you. While your qualifications and resume were very good, you have not been selected as a final candidate. Thank you for your interest in Company X. We wish you luck in your employment search. Thanks again for your time!

Sincerely,

-- A Form Letter

Here's how I'd love to respond:

Dear Company:

Thanks for calling me in for 3 interviews, and wasting 3 hours of my valuable time and $15 of gas. During the final interview, I could tell the interviewer made up his mind within 5 minutes that he wasn't going to hire me. We should have just quit the pretenses and cut if off right there.

I wasn't really that impressed by your ambiguous growth plans for the future. In addition I noticed several inefficiencies that need to be fixed immediately. I no doubt could have added focus and significant value. I realize I'm just one of dozens that you will interview. But it still sucks and is not good for the ego. Oh well, I'm sure I will find something better. My commute would have doubled anyway.

Sincerely,

Coolcats

I guess I better not.
I don't know why a company wants to waste there time
sending a letter if they do not want you. I know I would not do it ! ! !

Also you should be thankful for a company that would waste time
and money letting you know by letter that they do not need you.

Most companies would just leave you hanging ! ! !

Hope you find what you are looking for ! ! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search