Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times

Advertisements

Got another rejection letter:

Dear Coolcats,

Thank you for interviewing for a position at Company X.

The panel enjoyed meeting you and getting to know a little more about you. While your qualifications and resume were very good, you have not been selected as a final candidate. Thank you for your interest in Company X. We wish you luck in your employment search. Thanks again for your time!

Sincerely,

-- A Form Letter

Here's how I'd love to respond:

Dear Company:

Thanks for calling me in for 3 interviews, and wasting 3 hours of my valuable time and $15 of gas. During the final interview, I could tell the interviewer made up his mind within 5 minutes that he wasn't going to hire me. We should have just quit the pretenses and cut if off right there.

I wasn't really that impressed by your ambiguous growth plans for the future. In addition I noticed several inefficiencies that need to be fixed immediately. I no doubt could have added focus and significant value. I realize I'm just one of dozens that you will interview. But it still sucks and is not good for the ego. Oh well, I'm sure I will find something better. My commute would have doubled anyway.

Sincerely,

Coolcats

I guess I better not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
It will just go in the trash. They don't care.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 PM

114 posts, read 244,858 times
I know that feeling man

Old 06-28-2012, 09:01 PM

40 posts, read 142,128 times
The best is when you call back to get an update after interviewing and after calling back 1 time a week 3 times, you just stop calling and nobody ever gets back to you.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:51 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
I must tell this story.

Many years ago, my wife applied for a position as a company nurse. They wanted someone to staff an infirmary and deal with minor injuries to workers and refer more seriously injured workers to the doctor. In extreme cases, she would have rendered emergency care until an ambulance arrived. The job would have involved a commute of over 25 miles each direction.

They interviewed her and waited ten days.

She was called back for a second interview which lasted about two hours.

About ten more days went by. They asked her to meet with the company physician at his office. This took another hour or more.

She heard nothing for about one more week. At this point in time, they told her they liked her application, but wanted her undergo a polygraph test, a medical examination and two more interviews.

My wife told them "no thanks"

The company representative acted frustrated and said "we want to hire you". My wife replied "great, I've decided if its this much trouble I don't want to work there."

My wife than went and got one of the many jobs available for nurses at that time and has remained there ever since.

The moral of the story is that even though a lot of people are looking for work, you can only push some people so far. The reason companies get away with such long interview processes is because they can in a bad job market.

Fortunately, I have always avoided all this BS because I work for myself. Not everyone can, but I really wish more people would give thought to doing so at an earlier age. It will greatly improve your whole outlook on life.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:04 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Ive written a few similiar ones. I especially went off on a company that brought me in and gave me an oral accounting test on the spot.

So what if they didnt bother reading it, made me feel better.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:37 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Ive written a few similiar ones. I especially went off on a company that brought me in and gave me an oral accounting test on the spot.

So what if they didnt bother reading it, made me feel better.
So you essentially burnt a bridge with the company you applied for, and made it so that you can never apply for another job they post? How is that remotely a smart thing to do?

I was rejected from the job I have now. I thanked the hiring manager for his time, and asked him what I could improve to be seen as more valuable. A year later another job opened up, I applied under the same guy and got the job. He respected the fact that I wanted to learn how I could improve and hired me largely because of that.

Or we could take your approach, act like we are 5 years old and shoot ourselves in the foot. What would really make you feel better in the end, sending your childish letter, or owning up to why you didn't get the job and getting a 15% bump in pay a year later once you prove you have improved yourself?

Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you essentially burnt a bridge with the company you applied for, and made it so that you can never apply for another job they post? How is that remotely a smart thing to do?
I never apply again at places that have rejected me once already any how. So that really doesnt matter.

Additionally, I wouldnt dream of reapplying for some place I have no respect for as a company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Or we could take your approach, act like we are 5 years old and shoot ourselves in the foot. What would really make you feel better in the end, sending your childish letter, or owning up to why you didn't get the job and getting a 15% bump in pay a year later once you prove you have improved yourself?
Actually, I got a job making 15% more the next week somewhere else, and was offered yet another job a couple weeks after that for even more. So, obviously it was their problem, not my problem.

I guess though, in your world, where the employer is always right, the employee is always wrong by virtue of the lopsided employment agreement, we should all just continue to kiss the ass of a smug gatekeeper for the rest of our lives, just hoping and praying, that maybe we can be the person they want one day.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:21 AM

6 posts, read 18,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Got another rejection letter:

Dear Coolcats,

Thank you for interviewing for a position at Company X.

The panel enjoyed meeting you and getting to know a little more about you. While your qualifications and resume were very good, you have not been selected as a final candidate. Thank you for your interest in Company X. We wish you luck in your employment search. Thanks again for your time!

Sincerely,

-- A Form Letter

Here's how I'd love to respond:

Dear Company:

Thanks for calling me in for 3 interviews, and wasting 3 hours of my valuable time and $15 of gas. During the final interview, I could tell the interviewer made up his mind within 5 minutes that he wasn't going to hire me. We should have just quit the pretenses and cut if off right there.

I wasn't really that impressed by your ambiguous growth plans for the future. In addition I noticed several inefficiencies that need to be fixed immediately. I no doubt could have added focus and significant value. I realize I'm just one of dozens that you will interview. But it still sucks and is not good for the ego. Oh well, I'm sure I will find something better. My commute would have doubled anyway.

Sincerely,

Coolcats

I guess I better not.
sooooo tempting. I know just how you feel. It is a frustrating nightmare. Good luck! You write well.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:25 PM

398 posts, read 698,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NosyMom View Post
sooooo tempting. I know just how you feel. It is a frustrating nightmare. Good luck! You write well.
Love it! I went through a first interview with a NYC investment bank - went fine, until I balked at the interviewer when she said it took her 5 interviews to get her current position! And I was interviewing for a job in her department, as well, but naturally for the lower-end of the spectrum. 5 interviews to become a secretary! Lucky for me, I got a job somewhere else - after one interview! I imagine it's the companies that think very highly of themselves (regardless of helping to cause a huge financial crisis) that require such a frustrating interview/screening process. Probably why I've stuck with non-profit all these years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search