U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:00 AM

152 posts, read 401,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post
I remember times when Very Big Corporation in Wall Street area banned employees from wearing suits altogether. But this is 2012.
This was just a month ago and it's with a fortune 500 company. I think clean cut, good-fit suit and knowing how to interview go a longer way then having an expensive suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 02:27 AM

190 posts, read 235,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhere View Post
This was just a month ago and it's with a fortune 500 company. I think clean cut, good-fit suit and knowing how to interview go a longer way then having an expensive suit.
No, It doesn't have to be expensive but the correct size, decent, clean and pressed.
Clean polished shoes will not hurt either.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:34 AM

152 posts, read 401,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post
No, It doesn't have to be expensive but the correct size, decent, clean and pressed.
Clean polished shoes will not hurt either.
I absolutely agree! At a company I worked for in the past, we were talking about interviewing styles and one co-worker said that if the candidate has scuffed shoes, there's no hope for him to move forward in the interview process.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:46 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,502,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhere View Post
I always say to mitigate risk. Get the best suit you can and add it to all those things you said. No harm if you really want the best shot at that job.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 AM

190 posts, read 235,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As a hiring manager I often find the applicants better dressed than me and any other interviewers, and it
does not impress us. A person in shirt and tie with dockers would still get the job over the one in a Brooks Bros or imported Italian suit if able to demonstrate that he's the best for the position.
That's the point: what if there were 3 candidates with similar experience and qualifications. You don't want to lose because of such a stupid detail as professional attire. I agree though: it doesn't have to be Armani.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:57 AM

457 posts, read 537,926 times
It does not have to be expensive but it does have to look good on you. I bought my suit at the Men's warehouse - 250 - Suit, 2 shirts, 2 ties.

I buy my shoes at macy's - Cole Haans with Nike Air Technology. It looks like an expensive shoe but feels like a sneaker. 90.00

Make sure that the suit fits you.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:17 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,302,973 times
I'm 5' 10" and tiny so every suit I try on fits me a little funny and I can't afford Italian made, BCBG type suits.

Honestly, I buy a suit that fits my shape well and has extra fabric in the too-short sleeves and pants, then I take them to the tailor, or have my grandmother take the extra fabric down for me.

I've gotten my ladies suits from Macy's.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,283,064 times
I guess if you're interviewing for some high roller position on Wall Street, then the price tag may matter. Otherwise, fit and cleanliness matter more, along with ensuring the color and style flatters you and makes you feel comfortable and confident. Also, which tie you choose matters...make sure it goes well with your suit and dress shirt while still being interview and company appropriate. Others here already covered shoes and shoe care. (Cole Haan, J&M, etc are good brands.) Finally, I'd be cautious about wearing a black suit. Most people probably won't care (I wouldn't), but some may be turned off by the "funeral" look. You want to look professional in a positive way.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:07 PM

6,804 posts, read 11,800,721 times
Maybe get something a little better than average.. but don't go overboard and blow too much money here. You don't want to give the impression that you are a wasteful spender or don't really need the money anyways. I agree with what the others said - get something comfortable that makes you feel confident.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,402,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
for basic suits with solid colors like black or grey, if they do not look worn, are clean and pressed and most importantly fit your body the right way then you are good. Just pay attention to the small details. like shining the shoes and keeping the nails neat and trim. Shining the shoes is an often missed point actually. Then go in with confidence and rock and roll! Navy blue or dark grey are best for interviews by the way.

When exactly does a interviewer see your shoes??? When you first meet it's a hand shake and smile and then you are instructed to have a seat. Then you interview and after that you said good bye with eye contact and then you leave. So when does the interviewer see your footwear?

Not like they are going to meet you and look down at your shoes-lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or