U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:06 PM

1,804 posts, read 7,004,123 times

Advertisements

I always show up for job interviews in conservative business attire, unless specifically instructed not to. However my suits are 10-year-old JC Penny suits. The only time I really wear them are for interviews, so they are in good shape. I've had them tailored once through the years after I lost about 40 lbs.

I'm wondering if I should upgrade my suits and other attire? Basically how much do interviewers notice suit quality? I don't want to look like an out of place bumpkin by wearing cheap suits, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on expensive suits either.

Pretty much every place I apply has business casual or casual dress codes. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 07:20 PM

15,483 posts, read 7,504,260 times
You have them tailored to fit you, so you're probably okay. Good tailoring and fit mean a lot more than the price tag. i.e. An inexpensive suit that fits properly is better than a pricey one that doesn't.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:22 PM

10,613 posts, read 13,143,988 times
Default good thread!

for basic suits with solid colors like black or grey, if they do not look worn, are clean and pressed and most importantly fit your body the right way then you are good. Just pay attention to the small details. like shining the shoes and keeping the nails neat and trim. Shining the shoes is an often missed point actually. Then go in with confidence and rock and roll! Navy blue or dark grey are best for interviews by the way.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:32 PM

15,530 posts, read 13,524,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
for basic suits with solid colors like black or grey, if they do not look worn, are clean and pressed and most importantly fit your body the right way then you are good. Just pay attention to the small details. like shining the shoes and keeping the nails neat and trim. Shining the shoes is an often missed point actually. Then go in with confidence and rock and roll! Navy blue or dark grey are best for interviews by the way.
I agree with this.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 PM

14,061 posts, read 16,074,613 times
Hmm... well, JCP is really cheap now. Something from Jos Bank or even Men's Warehouse would be fine pretty much anywhere provided it fits. If you're interviewing for a workplace that doesn't require suits or doesn't have much client interaction (does anyplace without client interaction even wear suits anymore?) a polyester JCP suit would probably be fine. If you're interviewing for someplace with client interaction where suits are worn even sometimes (meetings, maybe), I'd go out and spend the money on a Jos Bank suit. Suits are something you can also get used on eBay. If your suits fit well, measure them and find something comparable and conservative and get it online then have it tailored. 'Course, I overdress when it comes to work and totally scrub out when not. Just not into khakis shorts, sandals, and a multi-colored polo shirt when it comes to work...

Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,776 posts, read 54,424,430 times
As long as you are neatly dresses and not in wrinkles or worn out clothes it doesn't matter. I suppose if applying for a job at a prestigious law firm there would be more scrutiny but experience and skills are far too important than how expensive an applicants suit is. As a hiring manager I often find the applicants better dressed than me and any other interviewers, and it
does not impress us. A person in shirt and tie with dockers would still get the job over the one in a Brooks Bros or imported Italian suit if able to demonstrate that he's the best for the position.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:59 PM

40 posts, read 128,917 times
I would get new suits every 3-5 years or so.

Suit styles change every 3-5 years and the younger crowd usually shows up in these new suits. You don't want to look like a dinosaur.

Slimmer fitting 2 button suits seem to be in style. You can also tell how old the suit is. No matter how much a suit costs, you can usually tell how many cleans or wears its been through.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,203,760 times
I get by in my $100 K&G tailored men's suit that I bought in 2008. The only time I wear this is at interviews. Mens suit hardly change in styles or looks. I think men's suit style's haven't changed much since the 80's. But women's suits change style a lot and there's incredible variety in them! I love them so much!

But I wish I could just interview in any of my beautiful skirt suits! Went to a Job Fair in a skirt suit and it was a blast. But they all thought I was "gay."

Old 06-30-2012, 11:54 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
I agree with the others, who said tailoring/fit is even more important than "quality." That being said, some cheaper suits look fine while some look - well, cheap. So I guess if you're tight on money, it's better to go with discount designer as opposed to cheaper brands. For example, Nordstrom Rack or other outlet stores will have quality suits at JCP-type prices. I don't think you'll be rejected from a job for having a cheap suit, but it never hurts to look sharp!

Recently when I decided to start looking for a better job, I had the good fortune of receiving a $100 gift certificate (from my step-mother & father) to Macy's. I waited until their next big sale, and ended up getting a gorgeous blue suit for the grand total of $110 - so only $10 out of my pocket. It was originally priced at over $300, and looks incredibly classy IMO. I don't know about you, but if nothing else, it just makes me feel more confident to be dressed well.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-02-2012 at 01:59 AM..

Old 07-01-2012, 12:01 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,430,103 times
Try on cheap suits, try on expensive suits and try on everything inbetween. Get the suit that makes you feel most confident. That's really what matters in an interview. I will not entertain a person who feels uncomfortable in what they are wearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or