U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Plano, TX
400 posts, read 1,462,731 times
Reputation: 373

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I need some help. Recently received my layoff notice at my current job and I'm already in discussion and interviews with several companies. I came back from an interview today, less than an hour later the recruiter calls and says they plan to make an offer on Thursday morning.

There is another company that I have an interview with on Monday that I'd really like to go through with since people such as my current boss have called their connections so that I could be in the running for the position. I also think that this job could potentially be a better fit for me, and also much closer to where I currently live. In all honesty, if company 2 gives an offer - I would definitely accept.

I obviously want to make sure that I give myself enough time to hear back from the 2nd company in hopes I could receive an offer from them as well. In going in to speaking with HR for Company 1 on Thurs, should I go in and make sure I can have a week before I formally accept?

I'm just not sure on what the proper grounds for this should be. While I don't want to rule out this job, because I would love it and take it if Company 2 doesn't come through, I don't want to go ahead and just accept the offer and burn bridges in the process.

I also have 2 more weeks at my current employer, so I think the chance is very low of me accepting this offer and actually starting the job and leaving. I think the main thing I'm worried about is making sure I do due diligence in making sure I can consider an offer from company 2 if it comes in as well. Should I also let company 2 know that I do have an offer on the table already? I'm not really sure how to proceed into this at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 PM
 
152 posts, read 400,246 times
Reputation: 113
This happened to me. I told company 1 that I was still waiting to hear back from a few other employers as I would like to make an informed decision. She was ok with that and asked me if I could give her an answer the following week and let her know if I needed more time. I ended up going with company 1 anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2012, 02:47 PM
 
40 posts, read 128,917 times
Reputation: 46
why would you have to come in to speak to them for the offer. that just seems unnecessary.

if they are making the offer, then that means you already did the necessary interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2012, 03:01 PM
 
3,672 posts, read 6,060,856 times
Reputation: 4222
i think its normal to ask for or be given a certain amount of time before having to respond to their offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top