U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,793,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
If I were single I would not date anyone not currently married, according to this logic. On the other hand, "Company confidential" ads will only be answered by the unemployed. Or those who soon will be.
Yep, the logic is hilarious!

I mean, I get the basic, primal nature behind it, "Uh, if nobody hire you, why should me hire you?" It's similar to people putting on a wedding ring and suddenly receiving interest from the opposite gender... but that doesn't make it right. In the business world, one has resumes, job experience, and solid skills that can be used to verify the value of a potential employee. There is simply no excuse to make emotional decisions, such as "all unemployed people must be lazy" and then refuse to look at the facts: their skills, their experience, their personality and desire to work, etc.

There are some folks who will regularly answer job postings who are not currently in danger of losing their jobs, but I have to be honest - based upon my experiences, those jobs hoppers were some of the *worst* employees. They were always looking for the "next big thing" and felt offended that they would have to work their way up the ladder a company. When they couldn't get what they wanted quickly, they'd hop someplace else, find the same situation, and then hop to yet another place... always in the quest for that magical job that would give them a powerful position without any work... And then there were the ones who hopped from job to job to get away before their mistakes caught up with them!

No, given a choice, I'd rather hire a good guy who worked years at a place and was laid off vs. some guy who's currently employed but who will change jobs in a flash if there's even a hint of more power or money. Yes, this is based on my personal experiences, but 10-years of experience is a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,041,954 times
The employers can be very choosy right now in this job market, if you have a job and you are looking, then you have a better shot at the other position than if you are currently unemployed. Your employment status is merely a filter for any choosy employer to use right now at its disposal. Just keep that in mind.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:51 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,209,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggerburn View Post
in before njbest, gatornation, pnsq, and that other guy to play devil's advocate.
Lol

It's actually hnsq, and bobtn is the other guy's alias.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,075,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
The employers can be very choosy right now in this job market, if you have a job and you are looking, then you have a better shot at the other position than if you are currently unemployed. Your employment status is merely a filter for any choosy employer to use right now at its disposal. Just keep that in mind.
The sole way to improve the odds for the unemployed is real job growth. Today marks three consecutive, pathetic reports. I am beginning to see Jimmy Carter's face when OBooBoo appears on tv. IMO, he is a much better bowler than president.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:34 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,784,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Yep, the logic is hilarious!

I mean, I get the basic, primal nature behind it, "Uh, if nobody hire you, why should me hire you?" It's similar to people putting on a wedding ring and suddenly receiving interest from the opposite gender... but that doesn't make it right. In the business world, one has resumes, job experience, and solid skills that can be used to verify the value of a potential employee. There is simply no excuse to make emotional decisions, such as "all unemployed people must be lazy" and then refuse to look at the facts: their skills, their experience, their personality and desire to work, etc.

There are some folks who will regularly answer job postings who are not currently in danger of losing their jobs, but I have to be honest - based upon my experiences, those jobs hoppers were some of the *worst* employees. They were always looking for the "next big thing" and felt offended that they would have to work their way up the ladder a company. When they couldn't get what they wanted quickly, they'd hop someplace else, find the same situation, and then hop to yet another place... always in the quest for that magical job that would give them a powerful position without any work... And then there were the ones who hopped from job to job to get away before their mistakes caught up with them!

No, given a choice, I'd rather hire a good guy who worked years at a place and was laid off vs. some guy who's currently employed but who will change jobs in a flash if there's even a hint of more power or money. Yes, this is based on my personal experiences, but 10-years of experience is a lot.
Job hoppers are bad - but what about people who cling to positions, companies for years doing relatively easy jobs- and block the progress of new starts, withhold information etc.

Job Clingers, who add no value are worse than job hoppers

Old 07-07-2012, 02:58 AM

4,980 posts, read 8,440,497 times
With the rate that this nation is losing jobs, eventually, there won't be any jobs to hop to.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:16 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,041,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Job hoppers are bad - but what about people who cling to positions, companies for years doing relatively easy jobs- and block the progress of new starts, withhold information etc.

Job Clingers, who add no value are worse than job hoppers
Yep, of course, there are pros and cons to both types of employees. Some people who cling to jobs may know that they cannot find anything else that pays around the same or because they are older workers. It cuts both ways.

What is ironic in some ways is in the late 1990s, job hopping in high tech (IT) was highly encouraged and hyped up, now, in 2012 that hype about moving from job to job is just not there for the most part.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:01 PM

67 posts, read 361,347 times
In this economy I do not recommend leaving your current position and moving without a new job offer.

Think about what I suggest long and hard and realize the job market is much worse than the press is letting on.

Keep looking while you are still working. Send resumes to the area you are interested in and if need be take three day weekends (using built up vacation time and saved money)

Be responsible and set the stage for success before moving.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,294,888 times
I think part of it is that when you are unemployed you will take any job, regardless of if you really want it or it is a good fit. You are basically desperate and might be more likely to quit earlier because of this after you start. An employed person does not have these issues because they will not leave their current job unless the new one is truly a better fit for them..

Old 07-09-2012, 09:27 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,581,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I think part of it is that when you are unemployed you will take any job, regardless of if you really want it or it is a good fit. You are basically desperate and might be more likely to quit earlier because of this after you start. An employed person does not have these issues because they will not leave their current job unless the new one is truly a better fit for them..
This makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or