U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,581,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwel View Post
In this economy I do not recommend leaving your current position and moving without a new job offer.

Think about what I suggest long and hard and realize the job market is much worse than the press is letting on.

Keep looking while you are still working. Send resumes to the area you are interested in and if need be take three day weekends (using built up vacation time and saved money)

Be responsible and set the stage for success before moving.
I do appreciate your taking the time to provide me with valuable insight. I will be certain to keep this in mind. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,759,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I don't think it is so much as viewed as lazy but viewed as.....

So... no one else wants you, what is wrong with you? Why would I Want you?
What an unwise stance to take in this economy.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 AM

2,953 posts, read 8,630,402 times
Theres a diffence in our personal perception also, when we are working, we don't work as hard to find a job, we as a candidate are more picky, we apply only to the perfect job, and we are patient. while being unemployed, we become more desperate to get a job, and we get turned down more, because we apply to almost everything. so, partly, no, its not true, its perception. Most employers are smart enough to understand the situation our economy has put some very good workers into, and they are willing to take a chance on hiring the unemployed.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:41 AM

55,668 posts, read 74,655,684 times
easier is a relative term. looking for work (in earnest) is the hardest work i have ever done.
required flawless poise relaxed manner under great duress.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 AM

12,303 posts, read 15,209,125 times
Hard to say whether it is worse when you have a job or not. On the one hand there are is usually more competition when you don't have a job, discrimination aside. But if you do have a job you may not have the time to devote to the search and scheduling interviews can be a problem.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:57 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,338,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
harder to find one when you are no longer employed....
Is this true from your experience? If so, what is the reasoning behind this? I have heard this and have never understood why this is. Please share your knowledge and experience.
No it's not easier to find a job when you already have one because you don't have as much "flexibility" for interviewing especially if the company has a 3 interview process. So that means you may have to keep taking off to go to a interview. Only if you have a strong network and can be offered a job without interviewing.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 871 times
I had initially believed the myth that it is easier to find a job when you have one, but this did not hold true for me. I was employed full time, and sought out employment elsewhere. The perspective employer was aware I worked all day, and was amenable to meeting me late in day, for what turned out to be multiple interviews dragged out over course of a month. A couple of these were requested rather last minute, based on their availability, and the drive from present place of employment was lonnnnggg. It was much work and effort on my part, and all the way through, I was told how much they loved me. Guess what? In the end, they completely blindsided me by deciding to go with someone who did not have to provide two weeks notice to an employer before starting!!! In my final interview, the individual had seemed uncomfortable with this. So, they weren't in such a big hurry that they didn't take a month to get through three interviews, and they held it AGAINST me that I insisted on providing notice to my employer of many years? Wouldn't you think they'd see that as...honorable? Nevermind that they knew I needed to provide notice from day one.

So, several years later I am now in a position I am not happy in, and based on past experience of hassle of working out interviews while being employed only to lose positions to people who are immediately available, etc? I am going to resign first, and search later. I would recommend this to anyone who has the financial means to do without an income for up to six months. Also, I have never had anyone who could provide an answer to how an employed person, in a position to negotiate a salary and be more discerning, is MORE attractive to a prospective employer than someone who is not?

Last edited by cincygirl51; 10-18-2013 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: incorrect tense

Old 10-18-2013, 07:07 PM

211 posts, read 458,771 times
I've never seen a difference from when I was unemployed and when I was employed.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:22 PM

12,613 posts, read 15,076,634 times
These days, sadly true, in most cases.

It seems that:

1/ If you are long term unemployed, something "must be wrong with you". I don't agree with that, but that seems to be the perception.

2/ You have much more negotiating leverage if you have a job. If someone wants to recruit you away from your current position, they have to give you a much better offer, in most cases.

3/ Your skills are current since you are employed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
harder to find one when you are no longer employed....
Is this true from your experience? If so, what is the reasoning behind this? I have heard this and have never understood why this is. Please share your knowledge and experience.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,987,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I think part of it is that when you are unemployed you will take any job, regardless of if you really want it or it is a good fit. You are basically desperate and might be more likely to quit earlier because of this after you start. An employed person does not have these issues because they will not leave their current job unless the new one is truly a better fit for them..
Yep, you can be more choosey and there is a little less stress involved since you aren't worried about how long your savings will last you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincygirl51 View Post
In the end, they completely blindsided me by deciding to go with someone who did not have to provide two weeks notice to an employer before starting!!! In my final interview, the individual had seemed uncomfortable with this. So, they weren't in such a big hurry that they didn't take a month to get through three interviews, and they held it AGAINST me that I insisted on providing notice to my employer of many years? Wouldn't you think they'd see that as...honorable? Nevermind that they knew I needed to provide notice from day one.

Also, I have never had anyone who could provide an answer to how an employed person, in a position to negotiate a salary and be more discerning, is MORE attractive to a prospective employer than someone who is not?
You weren't applying for a very good company, apparently. Every job I've applied for has been very understanding about me needing to give 4 weeks notice. In fact, they saw it as a positive, that I had the decency to do such a thing. I had one that said I was tied with another candidate but because they could start sooner, they were offered the job. But they also told me to stay in touch...wasn't meant to be but kept a window open for myself. Your ONE bad experience should not lend advice to future job seekers that quitting first is better. In this economy, it would just be stupid. Why run down your savings when you could continue to work and find new employment, even if it takes slightly longer because you DO need to give notice and can't start immediately.

It's not that being able to negotiate is advantageous to the employer, but to the job searcher. If, as an applicant, I have some leverage, I could get better pay than if I was unemployed and not really in a position to negotiate. Aside from the other point (more recent job experience), ability to negotiate is beneficial to the applicant and tends to only happen when you're already currently employed. I don't think anyone would argue that negotiation benefits the employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or