Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,565,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktop View Post
It's definitely the resume. You can sell high-end houses but if your resume doesun't sound like it like then its worthless. I'm not saying its your experience, it's the way the resume is made. Don't sweat it, resume building sucks but I did a lot of research and even had a recruiter help me out. After that, I got calls.

I hear there are key words as well that make a world of difference.

Google resumes and key words and see if any of that helps you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 09:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,190,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I hear there are key words as well that make a world of difference.

Google resumes and key words and see if any of that helps you.
That applies more to high tech jobs at huge companies that get several hundred applicants for every opening. The resume that gets my attention is the one that demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and experience listed in the job description/announcement. Even with 100+ for one job I read all of them myself and narrow down to a comfortable number to interview, then HR verifies that the minimum requirements are met.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:49 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,007,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almark View Post
Thank you very much for the words of encouragement. I see you and I have a very similar story... Would you mind sharing with me what was it that you were able to get employed at? I thank you very, very much.
I think "angelajshirley"s new career is in hustling people to that website.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,486,246 times
Maybe it's because there just aren't a lot of jobs, and has nothing to do with the resume.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:16 AM

27 posts, read 35,247 times
Default your remarks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
My apologies, but I'm going to jump on you for a moment. If your resume reads like your OP, then perhaps this will be of assistance. It sounds incredibly boastful; yet says nothing. All fluff and no substance.

For example:

'I was a very successful high-end real estate sales person, selling new homes.' - How many homes? How far above quota, or average, were you? People like to see hard numbers.

'I have an impressive sales track and an impeccable work ethics.' How impressive? Numbers? How did your work ethic translate in to sales, customer retention, etc. What did you working harder than your co-workers bring to the company?

Numbers speak for themselves. Putting your opinion on how great you were does not convince people.
Thank you for your input... I had no idea that my profile should be in a form of a full, detailed resume... Why not ask me first how my resume reflects all these details. I can assure you that it does. And then some. Thank you anyway.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Maybe it's because there just aren't a lot of jobs, and has nothing to do with the resume.
Johnnytang24, sir - I suspect that nebulous1 may have a little more insight into my predicament...

Thank you maam.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That applies more to high tech jobs at huge companies that get several hundred applicants for every opening. The resume that gets my attention is the one that demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and experience listed in the job description/announcement. Even with 100+ for one job I read all of them myself and narrow down to a comfortable number to interview, then HR verifies that the minimum requirements are met.
Thank you, sir, I'm encouraged by your response...

Old 07-08-2012, 01:52 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,486,246 times
Quote:
Johnnytang24, sir - I suspect that nebulous1 may have a little more insight into my predicament...

Thank you maam.

You are quite welcome. The simplest explanation is usually the best one. (Occam)

Old 07-08-2012, 07:42 AM

3,025 posts, read 4,973,124 times
Quote:

Thank you maam.
Ok fine. You're perfect. It's someone else's fault you don't have a job.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:38 AM

497 posts, read 691,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
My apologies, but I'm going to jump on you for a moment. If your resume reads like your OP, then perhaps this will be of assistance. It sounds incredibly boastful; yet says nothing. All fluff and no substance.

For example:

'I was a very successful high-end real estate sales person, selling new homes.' - How many homes? How far above quota, or average, were you? People like to see hard numbers.

'I have an impressive sales track and an impeccable work ethics.' How impressive? Numbers? How did your work ethic translate in to sales, customer retention, etc. What did you working harder than your co-workers bring to the company?

Numbers speak for themselves. Putting your opinion on how great you were does not convince people.
This is actually good advice that you should consider. Your resume should include stats that clearly reflect your success as a salesperson. If you don't have that data embedded throughout your resume, then very few people - if any - will take you very seriously. You need to clearly and succinctly QUANTIFY your accomplishments as a salesperson.

Also, it appears that English may not be your native language. If not, then you should ask someone with very strong writing skills to review/edit your resume.

Yes, finding a job these days can be very difficult, but if you strengthen your resume and identify the key message points that you want to communicate - you are in sales, after all - then you will greatly improve your chances of landing a good job. Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search