U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:58 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,621,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I got three jobs through Monster, including 1 post college job. I also had several other interviews which I either blew off the the interview or turned down the offer through Monster.

Then again that was over six years ago.
I also have had good luck with the jobs listed on the site. However, I use it a little differently than most. I think. I go to careerbuilder, or monster, or whatever. I find jobs that interest me or meet my qualifications. I click on it to see the name of the company if it is disclosed (I do not bother with the name withheld ones) and then I go to the website for the company and apply there. If the job is posted on their internal boards, I apply. If the job is not posted, I fill out their application and I ask that it be directed to the person in charge of hiring for the region I am in. Usually pretty easy as they often ask for you to give that information on the application. So, I use it for leads but try to somewhat protect my information by applying directly on the company's site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 05:08 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,443,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
If you know how to weed through the BS on Craigslist, it's the better job board to use if you want to find work.

I've found legit work through it. I know other individuals that have too.

Granted, I'm in Detroit where employers can list job postings free of charge.
I agree, and I agree with thebunny about applying on the company's own website.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:25 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,042,939 times
Job boards like Career Builder do try to weed out scams, and sometimes it takes reporting the sketchy ad to call it to their attention. Just use caution with job ads anywhere, if it is too good to be true, then it probably is.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:20 PM

64 posts, read 119,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Have had the same problems with online job searches. You don't know who is behind it.
Just curious, lately I have heard and read that the newest trend ( I loosely call it that...) and the best chances of getting employment is through networking and the best bet is Linked In. I really don't want to deal with that mess. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 PM

40 posts, read 128,996 times
This is why I hate when job postings don't even have the name of the company.

This should be the minimum information for any job posting.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcover1 View Post
Just curious, lately I have heard and read that the newest trend ( I loosely call it that...) and the best chances of getting employment is through networking and the best bet is Linked In. I really don't want to deal with that mess. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Never got a thing through LinkedIn. It is good if you are employed and have an in-demand skill and tons of contacts. Then people will pay attention to you.

Networking can work, but a lot of people pretend they have power and tell you things, and you feel you're getting somewhere, so always take it with a grain of salt.

You get the same scams networking as online...pay us $XXX and you can get the tools to apply to this job!

Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodycool View Post

I agree. If you ARE employed, you don't know if you are applying to your present employer.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,116 times
Thank you for helping spread a word of caution. For more information about Online Fraud, or if you come across a suspicious or questionable posting on our site, and/or an email that you’ve received we do offer a Fraud Page for Jobseekers: http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Info/Fraud.aspx

Thank you.
CareerBuilder’s Trust and Site Security Team
@CBSiteSecurity

Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 PM

181 posts, read 423,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodycool View Post

Thank you. Company Name, Website, and Address should all be mandatory. If those cannot be presented then they should not be allowed to post.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:36 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,796,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
Thank you. Company Name, Website, and Address should all be mandatory. If those cannot be presented then they should not be allowed to post.
Agreed. I am so tired of seeing ads for "a major engineering company" that only lists the state and some vague job description at best. Oh, sure... you can apply, and you won't hear anything back. Or, worse, you WILL hear something back and end up being annoyed regularly by temp recruiters who don't have any real work, but sure want to chat with you about silly "jobs" that won't even pay your bills and which usually don't exist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search