U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:17 PM

11 posts, read 36,095 times

Advertisements

Beware of using Careerbuilder and other Job Search Forums while looking for Employment.

I am unemployed and I have been looking for work. I have been getting SPAMMED by Temporary Staffing Agencies calling me up out the blue and demanding I go in to register with them. Also, half the agencies are calling up inquiring about my HR contacts only. They simply want company Leads. I have worked for various Temporary Staffing firms for three years now and I personally know about 4 people who have gone permanent at the companies. Out of about 600 people. These companies lie and put people through too many changes. So it is especially frustrating to be getting spammed and called out the blue several times a day from them. I only want a permanent job.

I could not understand how they were getting my information and I called up to Careerbuilder and was informed by the first associate to google the companies. I started googling every company and lo and behold every single one was a temp agency even though they portray the job as not being through a temporary staffing firm.

So I then went to Advanced Options and intentionally excluded Temporary Staffing firms from coming up in my search results and they still came up. So I called Careerbuilder back again and this time spoke to a manager who became very heated with me and seemed offended I didn't want to work for a Temporary Staffing firm even though he wasn't working for one. He yelled at me they were still jobs. I told him I had excluded them in my search results so why were they still coming up and he stated because Careerbuilder allows them to not have to classify the job as a temp even though the job is a temporary job. He said if the person has the option to go permanent then the temporary agency will not be excluded if you exclude temporary agencies in your search results. I told him this was misleading to people and that even if you worked one day through a temporary staffing firm the job should still be listed as so.

This allows the temporary staffing agencies, many of whom have taken "temporary staffing firm" out of their names to portray themselves as direct employer companies. This is misleading. He did not care.

He also did not seem to care that these agencies are using careerbuilder as only a means to contact people (basically soliciting) people to register with them when they have no jobs for them and to solicit leads by inquiring about HR contacts from each employer on the resume.

I would suggest to you to no longer use Job Boards... Call up your local Chamber of Commerce and get a list of Employers in your city and apply directly with them.

Also, lest I forget, Careerbuilder is also full of erroneous job postings, Spam, and people who are phishing for information. A year ago I recieved emails from both Careerbuilder and Monster.Com advising me that several of the websites that I had linked to directly from job postings on their site were erroneous. I had placed my social security number, birthdate and everything in the applications.

These companies are unscrupulous and sleazy!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 08:33 PM

9 posts, read 16,537 times
I noticed that about Careerbuilder also, Monster and Indeed.com are exactly the same way temp agencies acting as employers

Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 PM

126 posts, read 352,687 times
Back when I used careerbuilder my searches always churned out temp jobs and the like. I remember that whenever I updated my resume I would be contacted by people offering an interview in areas at least 1 or more hours away from home, but quick google searches informed me that these "interviews" were nothing more than seminars about how to get started in sales and other gigs. In order to participate fully you had to pay of course. Eventually I pulled my resume and information from both careerbuilder and monster. I've never known a single person to find a job through either of these sites, whether directly or indirectly.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:11 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,921,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko11 View Post

These companies are unscrupulous and sleazy!!!!

You can say that again.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:03 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,017,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSender6000 View Post
Back when I used careerbuilder my searches always churned out temp jobs and the like. I remember that whenever I updated my resume I would be contacted by people offering an interview in areas at least 1 or more hours away from home, but quick google searches informed me that these "interviews" were nothing more than seminars about how to get started in sales and other gigs. In order to participate fully you had to pay of course. Eventually I pulled my resume and information from both careerbuilder and monster. I've never known a single person to find a job through either of these sites, whether directly or indirectly.
I got three jobs through Monster, including 1 post college job. I also had several other interviews which I either blew off the the interview or turned down the offer through Monster.

Then again that was over six years ago.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:00 AM

241 posts, read 883,114 times
Yep, CareerBuilder seems to be inundated with temp staff agency posts.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:01 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,449,149 times
You get what you pay for.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:45 AM

4,980 posts, read 8,439,611 times
Have had the same problems with online job searches. You don't know who is behind it.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:43 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,899,087 times
If you know how to weed through the BS on Craigslist, it's the better job board to use if you want to find work.

I've found legit work through it. I know other individuals that have too.

Granted, I'm in Detroit where employers can list job postings free of charge.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:45 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,064,868 times
careerbuilder is super sketch. i haven't been a job searcher in over a year and i still get emails from them about such and such company who is "very interested in me" . all you need is a hs diploma and access to the internet and you can make $3,000 a month working part-time from home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search