Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:59 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,376,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Good Afternoon.... my brother and I have a little disagreement on building a resume, and I am just curious of peoples experiences, ESPECIALLY those who have done hiring, or have had to sort through resumes. (Please note that if you respond).

I work in recruiting. I have done all of it from sourcing to hiring.

What work History should you list on your resume? Especially individuals who are fairly new to the "regular work force". I have two years of professional work experience out of college......

I have 4 years of college, a Bachelors and Associates degree. I have done a couple internships, and worked as a waitress, bartender, corporate trainer etc through college and before.

All of that should be on the resume, especially as it is a new resume. The sections for those jobs don't have to be long.

Most regular simply serving jobs don't apply to the sales and marketing area I am currently in, (besides learning to work with different people etc), but as I explain in my resume, I did many different things for my companies that included sales, marketing, and management.

That is what should be on there. If you list "Bartender" I know what that means. But if you also did all the hiring for summer shifts one year, that should be on there as it is something I will NOT know merely from the job title. So, list the job, the title, and any experiences that stand out.

So what is your experience? Do you think once someone has entered the "real work force" they should no longer include jobs they had during or previous to college years?

Not at all. YOu gained experience in those jobs. It is the experience above and beyond that you list

If you think it's okay to put applicable information, would it be stretching it to say that I had 5 years experience in sales and marketing if I am including school and all my work experience?

Including actual school, yes. Including the time you worked, if it adds up to 5, then you have 5.

(I have had some professionals suggest that you have at least 5 years of work history regardless of your situation and current titles etc).

That's ridiculous as most professionals can also spot a padded resume a mile away.

Thanks!
You're welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 02:02 PM

460 posts, read 1,015,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You're welcome
Yay you rock! and you don't have to say your welcome again... but thanks!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I would create your resume putting your internships, responsitibilties and emphasis on that. On the end of your resume after college put "other experience" and just list your other jobs.
AAACCKKKK...horrible idea. It segregates your jobs, shows less value on that experience, and generally just looks bad. That is heading VERY close to a functional resume, which brings up ALL SORTS of red flags.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
AAACCKKKK...horrible idea. It segregates your jobs, shows less value on that experience, and generally just looks bad. That is heading VERY close to a functional resume, which brings up ALL SORTS of red flags.
Actually my other friend just me not to break up experience because it ruins the "flow" of the resume, and that people can't look and find what they are looking for as easily.

So then would it be better to have it
Summary
Education
Professional Experience
Certifications

in your opinion?

Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,643,111 times
Quote:
Actually my other friend just me not to break up experience because it ruins the "flow" of the resume, and that people can't look and find what they are looking for as easily.

Summary
Education
Professional Experience
Certifications

in your opinion?
Not sure of the profession your in so hers a generic thought from a company with a specific qualifiactions.

The way you describe it is how we look for the information. Give us your formal education, your formal experinces related to the position and industry, any special certifcations/ liceneses/ ratings, followed by a generic timeline to fill in the gaps.

BUT, every company is different and I know some that want it in time order, others don;t even want to see non relevant experiences listed, so this is really a hard one as even within a company, what is desirable and what is not could change.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Summary
Education
Professional Experience
Certifications

in your opinion?
Better. However, I would do it this way:

Summary or Objective (whichever is customary in your field)
Education
Certifications (especially if they are field related...real estate license for a realtor, etc)
Professional Experience

The reason is at this point, you have more going for you in the education field than in the experience. Also, the education field is the one that is often updated most often, certifications and credentials, etc. New dates keep a resume looking "fresh" even if the only job on there is one from 1982-present.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Not sure of the profession your in so hers a generic thought from a company with a specific qualifiactions.

The way you describe it is how we look for the information. Give us your formal education, your formal experinces related to the position and industry, any special certifcations/ liceneses/ ratings, followed by a generic timeline to fill in the gaps.

BUT, every company is different and I know some that want it in time order, others don;t even want to see non relevant experiences listed, so this is really a hard one as even within a company, what is desirable and what is not could change.
This is why I always recommend that a person only put that which stands out. For example, with one of my recent positions I put this (not worded exactly like this but you get the point):

Store Manager COmpany A
-highest volume store in 19 store region
-biggest year to year reduction in shrink in region, 2008
-year to year retention rate 98%

Those are the things that were my achievements that were above and beyond managing, making a schedule, etc. So they are called out on the resume and while not always 100% relevant to a job, do go toward showing a committment to doing a good job.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 AM

Awesome! Thanks a bunch! I actually have a couple different styled resumes, depending on which company I will be giving it to... I actually forgot to put some of the certifications, so I will add those.

That's the thing with me though... I feel like almost all of my work experience (besides some from a longg time ago), I can make relevant to the industry, so while it may not be from the same industry or field, some past experience definitely helped prepare me. Is that cheesy? I guess I normally elaborate that, if the need arises, in an interview.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:23 PM

Not cheesy at all. And you never know what experience will get you a job. The job I have now, I got it because of Facebook. Really. It was me and another person in the running for the position and they were calling my references. One of them had a disconnected phone. I messaged the person on Facebook, got the right info (she had lost her phone) and sent an email apologizing that I was unaware she had lost her phone because we usually communicate via Facebook. The company has no one there now really familiar with social media. The fact that I keep in contact with the people I know through it actually got me the job.

So, you never know what an employer may be looking for or what you will bring to the table that fits their needs.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Not cheesy at all. And you never know what experience will get you a job. The job I have now, I got it because of Facebook. Really. It was me and another person in the running for the position and they were calling my references. One of them had a disconnected phone. I messaged the person on Facebook, got the right info (she had lost her phone) and sent an email apologizing that I was unaware she had lost her phone because we usually communicate via Facebook. The company has no one there now really familiar with social media. The fact that I keep in contact with the people I know through it actually got me the job.

So, you never know what an employer may be looking for or what you will bring to the table that fits their needs.
That's awesome! Good to know.. thanks for your help and suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search