U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:08 PM

460 posts, read 875,537 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon.... my brother and I have a little disagreement on building a resume, and I am just curious of peoples experiences, ESPECIALLY those who have done hiring, or have had to sort through resumes. (Please note that if you respond).

What work History should you list on your resume? Especially individuals who are fairly new to the "regular work force". I have two years of professional work experience out of college......

I have 4 years of college, a Bachelors and Associates degree. I have done a couple internships, and worked as a waitress, bartender, corporate trainer etc through college and before.

Most regular simply serving jobs don't apply to the sales and marketing area I am currently in, (besides learning to work with different people etc), but as I explain in my resume, I did many different things for my companies that included sales, marketing, and management.

So what is your experience? Do you think once someone has entered the "real work force" they should no longer include jobs they had during or previous to college years?

If you think it's okay to put applicable information, would it be stretching it to say that I had 5 years experience in sales and marketing if I am including school and all my work experience?

(I have had some professionals suggest that you have at least 5 years of work history regardless of your situation and current titles etc).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,739,781 times
I would create your resume putting your internships, responsitibilties and emphasis on that. On the end of your resume after college put "other experience" and just list your other jobs.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I would create your resume putting your internships, responsitibilties and emphasis on that. On the end of your resume after college put "other experience" and just list your other jobs.
Hey that's a great idea! Thanks!

Because my jobs pre college definitely still apply to my industry and I think I gained experience there.... so I would like to put them on there... but I had one person tell me I shouldn't put any jobs pre college...

Thanks again!

Old 07-06-2012, 01:14 PM

460 posts, read 1,023,574 times
I have a heading at the bottom of my resume that says something like "Additional Work Experience" then I list (on one line) those experiences. Something like: Hospitality, Retail, Blah and Blah (with no dates or explainations)

Then, if you think your work history is too short to adequately show your skills you can have a summary section at the top of your resume where you list our strenghts.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 PM

460 posts, read 1,023,574 times
Looks like Veuve and I were basically posting the same thing at the same time :-)

Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,089,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
This is what I would suggest also.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM

haha thanks a bunch guys! I don't know why I never thought of that. So my sub categories are as follows:
Summary,
Professional Experience,
Education,
Certifications,
Additional Work Experience.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:26 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,089,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
haha thanks a bunch guys! I don't know why I never thought of that. So my sub categories are as follows:
Summary,
Professional Experience,
Education,
Certifications,
Additional Work Experience.
That's how I did mine. I included volunteer experience in the last section, too.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:27 PM

921 posts, read 985,527 times
Wow, you guys are also giving me an idea on how to organize my resume. Thank you'll very much!

Old 07-06-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
Wow, you guys are also giving me an idea on how to organize my resume. Thank you'll very much!
Gotta love City-Data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or