U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:31 AM

5,561 posts, read 8,909,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myworld40 View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I feel a little better now. If I don't get this one at least I can take this as a lesson and will do better the next. I just don't understand the comment of "ass kissing." Will update how it goes.

Ignorant comment is all that was. The entire interview process could be considered "kissing butts" trying to impress people. An interview is a "sales meeting" and you are trying to sell product (yourself).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 AM

7 posts, read 19,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSender6000 View Post
I felt the same way after my job interview a few weeks back, and I kept stressing over the things I should've said, but somehow I pulled it off and got the job. I have no idea what pushed me up the list to yes, same way you won't know if you got the job until the call comes in, so try not to stress out about it. The fact you got yourself an interview is reason enough to celebrate. I really hope you get the job. By the way, did you send out a thank you card or email after the interview?

I just finished writing it. Will send it out tomorrow.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:03 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,904,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Ignorant comment is all that was. The entire interview process could be considered "kissing butts" trying to impress people. An interview is a "sales meeting" and you are trying to sell product (yourself).
Agreed.

"kissing butts" in your context is just a normal part of life.

You're certainly not going to get very far without impressing people.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,844 posts, read 54,538,129 times
I'd like to give a little advice on interviewing. Yes, everyone is at least a little nervous and the interviewers know that, but you really need to minimize it. The best way is practice. Apply for jobs even if you don't really want them and get a little practice in. Obviously hiring managers and HR people would frown upon this, but it is really the only way to get more comfortable in that situation. When I interview people it becomes obvious when someone is only trying to satisfy their
requirements for unemployment benefits, from their attitude. One of the most important interview skills for you to learn is to do plenty of research on the company, and in your answers make it clear that you really want to work there. An experienced manager can also tell when someone is desperate, looking for any job they can get. Showing a real enthusiastic interest in the company and work being done there goes a long way.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:51 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,614,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
No one handles every interview perfectly. Good luck, and either way, move on. Its over now, and all you can do is hope in total, you are viewed as the best candidate for the position.
I hardly ever handle interviews well. Acing an interview is all about getting the interviewer to LIKE you. If you are completely honest about everything, you will come across in a negative light and the interviewer will pick someone else. If you BS your way through the interviewer but aren't good at hiding the fact that you are telling lies left and right, the interviewer will pick up on that.

It really is a silly game of acting as fake as possible and keeping a poker face, all the while trying to "click" with the interviewer in some way.

Any minor screwup, say the wrong thing at any point in the process, and it's on to the next guy.

80%+ of the interviews I have been on tell the interviewer NOTHING about how well I will perform the job. It is all fluff like "what are your strengths and weaknesses?" "tell me a time when you had a disagreement with a co-worker and how did you handle it," etc. I've also encountered truly stupid questions like "what is your favorite place to go on vacation and why?" and "what is your favorite book?"

Old 07-08-2012, 03:15 PM

5,083 posts, read 7,739,430 times
Quote:
I had my one on one interviewed last Thursday after a successful phone interview for my dream job. During an interview I stumbled on a couple questions and did not give good answers and my voice was not as clear as normal. I was nervous and all the good preparation of what to say did not come out of my mouth. I left feeling awful about myself and so down right now. Now thinking back during the interview, the interviewer did some nodding and smile at some of my answers. He told me his upcoming training class and asked if I will be able to attend, I said yes of course and told him it is my priority to attend the training class. This is the only hope I am having right now. At the end he told me my recruiter will contact me next week to let me know either way. Have anyone have this same experience.
Yes, and I walked out feeling like I had blown the interview also. To my amazement, the recruiter called & said they wanted to offer me the job! (BTW, this was not my dream job). I did negotiate with the company for a while, but based on the high stress interview, and some other discussions & inappropriate comments that took place, I eventually turned down the job offer & I was so glad that I did. I'm still friends with my supervisor at the job I did accept, even though we both left after a year. We are actually now colleagues at a different job. The nasty interviewers are all gone, and the other company had a complete shake down/up of staff, and there was a mass exodus 2 years ago (many of the staff came to my current company).

Trust the process (& your gut), and make sure you cross all your "t's" and dot all your "i's" for the interview & follow up. You'll be fine.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 AM

2,838 posts, read 1,780,744 times
You never know- a place may interview 5-6 great people and you are great but someone is a just a little better in their eyes or you were a part of outside interviews and they intended on hiring from within so no matter what you do your not landing the job.

I don't think I would just go on interviews for practice. You don't want to sound too rehearsed- it could be just as bad as not coming in prepared. If its dream job or dream company- You want to know something about them but not too much. I've made this mistake before-HR, a Hiring Manager, Pres. a Director, etc. usually know alot about their own company. No sense in going overboard with your knowledge of them even if it is your dream job and company- stick to the value you can give them. I think its obviously very important to know the person or people making the hiring decisions as personality can play in role in their decisions.

I've had 5 different jobs now two I don't count as they were internships, and I've been on roughly 12 interviews. I've walked out of some thinking that things didn't look good and they were okay and vice versa. Of those 12 on only one occasion (two weeks ago) I thought I nailed the interview and I couldn't have said anything better. They are getting back to me this week so we'll see.

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2012, 02:33 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Quote:
I had my one on one interviewed last Thursday after a successful phone interview for my dream job. During an interview I stumbled on a couple questions and did not give good answers and my voice was not as clear as normal. I was nervous and all the good preparation of what to say did not come out of my mouth. I left feeling awful about myself and so down right now. Now thinking back during the interview, the interviewer did some nodding and smile at some of my answers. He told me his upcoming training class and asked if I will be able to attend, I said yes of course and told him it is my priority to attend the training class. This is the only hope I am having right now. At the end he told me my recruiter will contact me next week to let me know either way. Have anyone have this same experience.

The either way comment probably means you are not going to be selected. I had a similar experience and you can usually tell whether or not you are being considered for the job based on the answer to the "what is the next step in the hiring process? So just continue to apply to other jobs and move on or maybe it wasn't as bas as you think. But the "either way" comment was not a good sign

Old 07-09-2012, 02:37 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'd like to give a little advice on interviewing. Yes, everyone is at least a little nervous and the interviewers know that, but you really need to minimize it. The best way is practice. Apply for jobs even if you don't really want them and get a little practice in. Obviously hiring managers and HR people would frown upon this, but it is really the only way to get more comfortable in that situation. When I interview people it becomes obvious when someone is only trying to satisfy their
requirements for unemployment benefits, from their attitude. One of the most important interview skills for you to learn is to do plenty of research on the company, and in your answers make it clear that you really want to work there. An experienced manager can also tell when someone is desperate, looking for any job they can get. Showing a real enthusiastic interest in the company and work being done there goes a long way.

How can you tell when someone is desperate?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 AM

9,791 posts, read 17,006,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
i don't consider that ass kissing at all.
Neither do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or