U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2012, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Plano, TX
400 posts, read 1,462,051 times
Reputation: 373

Advertisements

Just an update:

Since I let the recruiter know I have an offer on the table and need to move forward if I don't hear anything, they are trying to speed up the process on their end. He called me this afternoon. Everything is positive so far as far as feedback. He gave some hypothetical situations of potential offers to try and gauge my expectations and where they are vs. my other opportunities.

Shortly after the call he had a follow up e-mail, asking me to not move forward with my current offer until we could touch base tomorrow morning and he plans to call me first thing. We'll see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
Reputation: 16146
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
Just an update:

Since I let the recruiter know I have an offer on the table and need to move forward if I don't hear anything, they are trying to speed up the process on their end. He called me this afternoon. Everything is positive so far as far as feedback. He gave some hypothetical situations of potential offers to try and gauge my expectations and where they are vs. my other opportunities.

Shortly after the call he had a follow up e-mail, asking me to not move forward with my current offer until we could touch base tomorrow morning and he plans to call me first thing. We'll see what happens.
That's impossible according to most of the posters in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:04 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 17,058,556 times
Reputation: 7282
Stargirl007, Sounds like you are handling this difficult balacing act well.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:05 PM
 
Location: USA
4,980 posts, read 8,434,659 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
Just an update:

Since I let the recruiter know I have an offer on the table and need to move forward if I don't hear anything, they are trying to speed up the process on their end. He called me this afternoon. Everything is positive so far as far as feedback. He gave some hypothetical situations of potential offers to try and gauge my expectations and where they are vs. my other opportunities.

Shortly after the call he had a follow up e-mail, asking me to not move forward with my current offer until we could touch base tomorrow morning and he plans to call me first thing. We'll see what happens.

Of course he is going to tell you not to go with the other offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 PM
 
Location: USA
4,980 posts, read 8,434,659 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I agree, mostly. I have actually done this. I interviewed for Job A in March. By June, nothing from them. I took Job B. A week later, Job A called with clearance for the offer and it was about 15% more per year than what I was making at Job B. I accepted the Job A offer and told my new boss. I was honest and told them that while I was looking, I had multiple interviews and received an offer I was not expecting and was not available when I took the job with Job B. He asked me what the salary offer was, I told him. He wished me luck and said there was no way they could meet it financially.

So, I don't think saying you changed your mind is the right call. The company that hired you saw in you qualities that would make you a great employee. They will not be surprised that another company did as well. Especially if it is a close time frame. People actually quit fairly often for another job that is better during their first few weeks...as offers come in at different times. It is not super common, but I have done it myself and I have been in HR and have watched it happen a couple of times.

Everyone knows why someone accepts another offer. More money, a better situation, more likeable location, etc., etc.
I think it is very possible to turn down an offer with grace and of course, it is changing your mind if you accept and then turn it down. I think it is how one handles it.
Companies do it too, leading one to believe they are "among the candidates" and then getting pretty close, then pulling back and choosing someone else.
I think the important thing is to remain professional and not string them along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 PM
 
52 posts, read 173,554 times
Reputation: 13
I'm kind of in the same situation, though am still in the interviewing stages - both are contracts via agencies for different departments in the same (very large) company so do not want to burn any bridges.

I have my final interview on Wed. with position A. They are making a same day decision and was told I will have only 24 hours to accept or decline.

I have my final interview next Mon. with position B. I don't know the time frame on when they will make a hiring decision.

We'll see what happens tomorrow but am trying to figure out how to navigate this one should an offer be extended. I'd prefer position B because of the duties it entails but not at the risk of losing position A (which has much, much better pay but less opportunity for a long term career path).

Because I'm working with staffing agencies as opposed to recruiters/hiring managers directly, do you think there is more or less room to disclose information about other positions/offers? Should I follow the advice in this thread or does anybody have new insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 PM
 
69 posts, read 87,629 times
Reputation: 62
In this climate you can't afford to decline offers, take the first one you get and then move on if you find something better, biggest mistake you can make is to decline the offer.

I was in the same situation 4 years ago, was offered one job but tried to postpone it as i wanted a job with another company i had an inteview with, i turned down the offer and i didn't get the other one I was hoping for so in the end i was the loser in this game.

Also many employers know applicants play dirty trick by saying i have another offer with no real offer on the table, i am sure many hiring managers hear this all day long from people and many use it to set pressure on the employer to either get an offer on the table fast or know that they will need to pay more if they really want to hire them, we are not in the dotcom boom anymore when you could play the employers against each others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 02:11 PM
 
69 posts, read 87,629 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. Awhile back I had a friend do the same exact thing. Company A was taking too long to decide so she decided to tell them about Company B.

Company A said "best of luck at your new job".
Exactly, they don't care, if you are trying to prolong things in most cases they will say Good Luck with the other job and then move on with other candidates, it's not a problem finding other people, they want the right person that really wants to work there.

Just think yourself how you would act if you had a company and someone you were thinking of hiring told you in the middle of the process "Hey, i have another offer and they offer me etc etc.." Bye bye..I show you the door, good luck with your other job.

I would be annoyed as hell, this person will jump jobs as soon as possible anyway as she or he doesn't think this position is worthy him or her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 05:29 PM
 
52 posts, read 173,554 times
Reputation: 13
Thanks for the feedback.

I was hoping that because I'm discussing it with a 3rd party agency I might have more wiggle room to 'wait and see' since it sounds like it's their 24 hour offer policy and not the actual company's. Plus with position A, they reached out to me - I didn't apply for that job. Also both positions are short term (less than 1 year) contracts - not sure if that factors into the loyalty aspect or not as neither are permanent.

The crazy thing is, position B (the one I'd be holding out for) pays way less (the difference is equivalent to another full time job) but I just feel like it's more "me" and seems to offer more opportunities for growth. I realize I haven't even had either interview yet so it's just thinking ahead, but it's making me crazy going over 'what ifs".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
850 posts, read 1,369,957 times
Reputation: 705
That is exactly what I did, but only if they ASKED ME FIRST. Don't offer this information unless there is a question where this might come up. You want to let them know that they aren't the only party interested in hiring you. Sometimes, and I stress SOMETIMES, this will hurry them up to make a decision if their other candidates don't measure up.

I interviewed for one company and the process was so long it irritated the crap out of me. Phone interview, Test, Phone Interview, another Test, Submit case study..blah blah blah. I was like, "Geez, this sh-- better be paying me $85K to start for all this mess and it was, BUT I needed a job NOW and there was no guarantee after they met me that I would get the job too. At the same time, I got an offer from another company that was centrally located 15 min from my house (no traffic or commute) and the pay was equally good. Not as much, but I am happier and I have a job and health insurance.

If asked, let them know you have on-going interviews with companies for the 3 & 4 interviews. If that company really wants you, they will move quick.

On a side note: that other company called me back to ask if I would reconsider coming in and I told them:

- They couldn't guarantee me the job
- They made no offer for the job
- They interview process was way too long
- People want to work now, not when they decide to make up their mind.

People have bills and expenses to pay and can't afford to sit around and wait for some company to finally make up their mind on who they want to hire. That is why such good talent get snatched up quick. You need to make them see that you are a good prospect and you might win out.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top