Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:36 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Know what they are going to say after they are threatened with 'having another offer'...'GOOD LUCK TO YA...' This is very bad advise...say nothing and play both hands...balls in your court.
Koale
To each his own. Personally I'm not going to accept a position and then go with another offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 09:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Know what they are going to say after they are threatened with 'having another offer'...'GOOD LUCK TO YA...' This is very bad advise...say nothing and play both hands...balls in your court.
Koale

Exactly. Awhile back I had a friend do the same exact thing. Company A was taking too long to decide so she decided to tell them about Company B.

Company A said "best of luck at your new job".

She was upset as Company A was her dream job, and it would have been a less than 5 mile commute in LA, talk about a cake walk.

Do people think they're movie stars discussing a picture deal with rival studios.

There are tons of people qualified for these jobs, you're nothing special.

You say NOTHING.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
I would not say anything, but I suspect you will have to answer company #1 before #2 decides. That means your answer will be a test to your confidence in getting job #2.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I would not say anything, but I suspect you will have to answer company #1 before #2 decides. That means your answer will be a test to your confidence in getting job #2.
Never say yes right on the spot. Ask for a couple of days to consider the offer. But don't go past the allotted time. Be punctual on that one.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:06 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
NO.

Make decisions that benefit you.

Companies are not an authority figure.

You can accept the job and still wait for the other job.

If the other job makes you an offer and you want that one, accept it, and tell the first one
you changed your mind. You don't owe them very much beyond a no.

You don't have to explain you got a better offer, more money, etc. If you do that, they will think
you are trying to play companies against each other and get more money from them.
I agree, mostly. I have actually done this. I interviewed for Job A in March. By June, nothing from them. I took Job B. A week later, Job A called with clearance for the offer and it was about 15% more per year than what I was making at Job B. I accepted the Job A offer and told my new boss. I was honest and told them that while I was looking, I had multiple interviews and received an offer I was not expecting and was not available when I took the job with Job B. He asked me what the salary offer was, I told him. He wished me luck and said there was no way they could meet it financially.

So, I don't think saying you changed your mind is the right call. The company that hired you saw in you qualities that would make you a great employee. They will not be surprised that another company did as well. Especially if it is a close time frame. People actually quit fairly often for another job that is better during their first few weeks...as offers come in at different times. It is not super common, but I have done it myself and I have been in HR and have watched it happen a couple of times.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Never say yes right on the spot. Ask for a couple of days to consider the offer. But don't go past the allotted time. Be punctual on that one.
I think this depends on the offer. I have taken time, and I have accepted on the spot. But the on the spot acceptances have been after there was already some talk of salary and benefit expectations. Once had a job that was stating the offer was going to be an amount that was less that what I was currently making. They called 2 days later with an offer that was more than I was currently making, with the other benefits as we had discussed and unchanged. I accepted that one during the call.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:45 AM

459 posts, read 1,744,319 times
I probably have taken an approach that most would not agree with, but I really am not wanting to accept an offer and back out of it. I am in a very small everyone knows everyone field, so that is definitely a bridge I don't want to burn if I can help it.

I did NOT tell the interviewer I had another offer, but I did let the recruiter know so that he would be aware of my timeline. I did very much communicate and insinuate that if they gave me an offer, that I would definitely choose it over my current (which is true). I took a different spin on it and said, hey - I have an offer, BUT I would really like this position and company much more and think it's a better fit.

Hopefully that was OK. I really do not want to accept and back out of a position, because it will get around the industry and I don't want to develop that type of reputation.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
I think you made a good decision and framed it well.

Accepting and backing out is not a good strategy if it can be avoided. Who knows? Maybe you'll be back there one day.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:20 PM

If it is an issue in your field, and it can be in some, then I think you made a good call.

I also think telling the recruiter, but framing it in such a way that you are more interested in their position, was a good move.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:14 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
I was interviewed by company A and things were going well. They asked if i was in discussions with other companies. I told them the number of other companies I was talking to(interviewing with) and where we were in the overall process.

Company A moved faster in discussions with me. I did not bring this up on my own, but answered honestly when asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search