U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:23 PM

4,569 posts, read 4,744,688 times

Advertisements

I have an all day interview with a potential employer (9-5) and was wondering what to expect. I have a couple of one-on-one's and several group interviews according to the itinerary. In all it looks like I will meet with 17 people. The most I have ever had in previous positions is 2-3 people with a few phone interviews in addition.

I was wondering if it is a series of behavioral/technical questions over and over again, or if some people have had assessment built into this time frame, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,911 posts, read 54,633,409 times
That can vary greatly depending on the position. The last one I had was for a fairly high level management position. It included group discussions with all the candidates on controversial but job related topics, to assess our ability to handle persuasiveness and stress in meetings. There was also a writing project, basically a report on job related data that we had to use. When they did individual interviews there was one HR person and one from the hiring manager's office that remained in the room with the others to see how they interacted (if at all) as strangers just meeting and in competition for a good job.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That can vary greatly depending on the position. The last one I had was for a fairly high level management position. It included group discussions with all the candidates on controversial but job related topics, to assess our ability to handle persuasiveness and stress in meetings. There was also a writing project, basically a report on job related data that we had to use. When they did individual interviews there was one HR person and one from the hiring manager's office that remained in the room with the others to see how they interacted (if at all) as strangers just meeting and in competition for a good job.
I can understand that, but my job is for an individual contributor role and the job description is 3-5 years of experience, so this is not likely to be a position that requires an insane skill set (ie 10-15 years of experience). Just a little unclear how much can go on in 8 hours with 17 different people and I believe I am the only candidate visiting that day. There is nothing to make me think there will be other candidates there although I am sure I am not the only candidate.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,444,060 times
One major thing they will be looking for is consistency throughout the day. Anyone can 'fake it' for an hour long interview, but that is much harder to do in an all day interview. I had one similar to that, and they asked me similar questions at 3pm as they do at 8am. I was told after that they were looking to see if I was consistent with my answers.

I would recommend that you be honest, and be very forthcoming with what you want on the job and what you can bring to the table. They are going to try to wear you down a bit to see if you slip so that they can tell if how you come across in the interview is a facade in any way.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
One major thing they will be looking for is consistency throughout the day. Anyone can 'fake it' for an hour long interview, but that is much harder to do in an all day interview. I had one similar to that, and they asked me similar questions at 3pm as they do at 8am. I was told after that they were looking to see if I was consistent with my answers.

I would recommend that you be honest, and be very forthcoming with what you want on the job and what you can bring to the table. They are going to try to wear you down a bit to see if you slip so that they can tell if how you come across in the interview is a facade in any way.
that actually makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot for the advice and for bringing this up.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:08 AM

82 posts, read 255,454 times
God, that sounds brutal. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 AM

9,807 posts, read 17,032,834 times
You are meeting with various groups (you are not meeting with 17 people who do the same job) and they want to see if they can work with you, if your philosophy is similiar to or will conflict with their philosophy (as well as the philosophy of the organization), they will look at how well you speak in general and address certain topics in particular. They are checking to see if you are capable of doing the job, as well as seeing how you will fit in (and if they think you will be easy to work with). My only advice is to be yourself. If you get a job based on a false impression, the honeymoon is going to be very short.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:17 PM

15,039 posts, read 21,790,321 times
Generally when I have gone on those interviews there are several groups of people and a few one on ones. They usually have a list of questions, and they are the same. So be prepared for the typical 'behavioral' interview questions to be asked of you a few times and have a different answer ready. It is a tedious interview, but good luck, you are one of the finalists!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:24 PM

126 posts, read 353,254 times
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 PM

469 posts, read 765,135 times
Yep, great advice so far and very similar to what I experienced. I found they liked to play games, make you wait then start a panel interview during lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or