Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:35 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times

Advertisements

I'm studying interpersonal communication and a couple things I've learned pertain to things that in my opinion hiring managers dont understand.

1. Communication does not exist in a vacuum. Meaning you should never expect the same result or the same dialogue with multiple people, since every situation is different. A lot of hiring managers stay on script and lack the intellect to diversify a conversation.

2. First impressions are overrated. While it is always nice to hit it off with your potential employer right away, everything shouldn't be based off the first moment you meet them. IMO, the hiring manager has made up their mind by the time they shake your hand when they meet you in regards to whether or not you will vie for the job.

A hiring managers developed bias going into the interview will determine how much of a chance you have. What it all boils down to is the realistic truth that the chance of you getting a job determines most of the time in regards to the level of bias the hiring manager has at there work and outside of work.

If they dislike non whites, there unchecked bias will lead them to favor whites, which is why affirmative action and quotas should still exist, because hiring managers(predominantly white) can't be trusted to evaluate a non white candidate without a bias in place already.

White hiring managers tend to put people in boxes and assume that all non whites think the same, which is why you have those programs in place, to prevent the racial bias of the white hiring manager to unfairly hire a solid non white candidate.

This isn't all whites, but it is part of the reason for higher minority unemployment rates. For example, I'm at my best job right now. I was hired because I passed the required tests and the hiring managers had an open mind.

On the other hand I know of past interviews when the second I walked in and shook there hand I knew they already made up there mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 10:03 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
And this is news because?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:00 AM

This is just a reality check for people who say minorities arn't trying hard enough when they look for work.

The truth is the white hiring managers a lot of the time are not coming into the interview with an open mind, which leads to higher minority unemployment.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
And this is news because?
And you felt compelled to respond because?
______
I'd have to agree with you, trop.
I'm a hiring official, screen resumes, sit on panels, interview, etc.
After years of experience, I agree that first impressions in an interview are not the best indicator of someone who will fit in and perform.

I make a point of calling the two previous supervisors and ask one specific question: would you hire this person again?
I get more information from that one question than any other.

I can read an 800 page book and if there's one misspelling, my eyes are drawn to it.
My suggestion to anyone/everyone submitting a resume is to have someone else proofread it for you.
This is the one document that will get you through the door.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
When interviewing we are required by HR to "stay on script" in order to ensure the same questions are asked of each candidate, so in making a decision we can compare apples to apples. We can do follow up questions if the answer is incomplete and I often do that if it seems that the person is nervous and may have left something out. There is no affirmative action or quotas, that is now illegal in some states such as ours.

Our organization stresses diversity as a way of bringing many different ideas from people of different backgrounds to strengthen us. As a hiring manager I would be hurting myself and my organization by forming a first impression and basing my decision on it without hearing the applicant's interview answers. Same for making a judgment based on a resume, though that does have to at least show meeting the minimum requirements, and if the job involves writing a lot of
typos and spelling errors can make a difference.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:35 AM

Well like I said, I didnt say all white managers.

And I do recognize that a diverse company does look favorable in todays society, which is why so many major companies are doing it.

I'm talking along the lines of the smaller, more local businesses that dont have those practices.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
This is just a reality check for people who say minorities arn't trying hard enough when they look for work.

The truth is the white hiring managers a lot of the time are not coming into the interview with an open mind, which leads to higher minority unemployment.
There is more to the story. I am sure there are some minorities who do not receive some job offers because of race, but race is not the only causality to bias-- someone my not get a job because they are obese, because they are short, because they have a speech issue, because they have a nervous tick, because they seem too conservative, because, because, because.

What has harmed a good chunk of the minority population is lack of education and skillset.

For black students, the high school dropout rate is double that of whites. The amount of black students entering college is also lower than others. And due to some schools, some black students are ill prepared even for college. My first university had a summer school program to bring black students up to speed with introductory college courses as well as intensive counseling. Even then only about 69% of black students would graduate which is below other universities.

It is no surprise that jobs with lower wage jobs are some of the absolute hardest hit jobs out there. I work and have worked with many black professionals who have not had issues with employment and a few have been fast tracked to very high sr. executive leadership programs in their respective companies.

Bias-- is one thing-- but bias impacts a lot of people. What is really impacting many black workers is far more complex than simply bias.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
I'm studying interpersonal communication and a couple things I've learned pertain to things that in my opinion hiring managers dont understand.

1. Communication does not exist in a vacuum. Meaning you should never expect the same result or the same dialogue with multiple people, since every situation is different. A lot of hiring managers stay on script and lack the intellect to diversify a conversation.

I'm studying interpersonal communication

2. First impressions are overrated. While it is always nice to hit it off with your potential employer right away, everything shouldn't be based off the first moment you meet them. IMO, the hiring manager has made up their mind by the time they shake your hand when they meet you in regards to whether or not you will vie for the job.

A hiring managers developed bias going into the interview will determine how much of a chance you have. What it all boils down to is the realistic truth that the chance of you getting a job determines most of the time in regards to the level of bias the hiring manager has at there work and outside of work.

If they dislike non whites, there unchecked bias will lead them to favor whites, which is why affirmative action and quotas should still exist, because hiring managers(predominantly white) can't be trusted to evaluate a non white candidate without a bias in place already.

White hiring managers tend to put people in boxes and assume that all non whites think the same, which is why you have those programs in place, to prevent the racial bias of the white hiring manager to unfairly hire a solid non white candidate.

This isn't all whites, but it is part of the reason for higher minority unemployment rates. For example, I'm at my best job right now. I was hired because I passed the required tests and the hiring managers had an open mind.

On the other hand I know of past interviews when the second I walked in and shook there hand I knew they already made up there mind.

Besides affirmative action and quotas, what else should be done?

Old 05-17-2012, 11:55 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:

I agree with what is bolded.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I agree with what is bolded.
I can't agree or disagree with something that doesn't make sense.

It belongs in the "All Your Base Are Belong To Us" category.

"What it all boils down to is the realistic truth that the chance of you getting a job determines most of the time in regards to the level of bias the hiring manager has at there work and outside of work."

"...the chance of you getting a job determines.." ???????

".....determines most of the time in regards....." ??????

"....realistic truth...." not to be confused with "realistic non truth" or "unrealistic truth"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search