U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:53 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,464,640 times

Advertisements

I have been playing the waiting game for a group sales (insurance) position that I thought i was well qualified for. I just talked with a friend that works for that same company. I didn't mention that I had applied for that job. He told me that 2 of his coworkers (whom I also know) were applying for that same job. I guess that I just have this mental picture that those two were content, happy to be employed, etc. One of the two has already had two interviews and feels confident that he will get the job. Anybody out there have any luck with these online jobs? I feel like my only shot at getting ahead will be to snag one of those 2 jobs if it becomes available due to promotion of one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 12:50 AM

4,402 posts, read 11,602,964 times
You may have a good shot at the open spot if there is a promotion.

And I know the internal promotions are frustrating...however once you are working for a company, you want to be working for one that promotes from within and recognizes the contributions of their current employees. It is frustrating, I agree, to not be able to get in the door because of an internal promotion...but I see it as a good sign and a reason to pursue the company as a great employer.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:14 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,723,664 times
Personally I think they will go to the internal candidates. That has happened to me more times than I can count. It is very frustrating since 99% of the time they have to interview 'outside' the company to cover their bases.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:59 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,786,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Personally I think they will go to the internal candidates. That has happened to me more times than I can count. It is very frustrating since 99% of the time they have to interview 'outside' the company to cover their bases.
Basically every interview I've been on appears to have happened just to keep HR happy. They never had any intent of hiring anyone - they just shuffle around the people who already work there and call it a day... and then go back to posting fake jobs the next week.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
Unless there is headcount reduction going on, there has to be external people filling in somewhere.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Unless there is headcount reduction going on, there has to be external people filling in somewhere.
Not really. For example, a company can claim to be hiring a "Mid-level engineer."

They then post the job, 100+ suckers like me apply for the 1 position, and then all they do is promote a currently employed junior level engineer to the same position. No new jobs are created, but technically they filled the role of "Mid-level engineer."

This happens a lot, and since it cheaper than hiring people, I don't expect this trend to change.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,602,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Basically every interview I've been on appears to have happened just to keep HR happy. They never had any intent of hiring anyone - they just shuffle around the people who already work there and call it a day... and then go back to posting fake jobs the next week.
I disagree. I went on a total of 3 interviews and got a job. I sent about 30 resumes out. I got 11 rejection emails and one in the mail with a small gift (which was classy and surprising). So 12 rejections, 3 interviews, is a 50% return. And I 100% used Careerbuilder.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I disagree. I went on a total of 3 interviews and got a job. I sent about 30 resumes out. I got 11 rejection emails and one in the mail with a small gift (which was classy and surprising). So 12 rejections, 3 interviews, is a 50% return. And I 100% used Careerbuilder.
That may be very possible if you're in a currently in-demand field in a location with plenty of those jobs. If, however, your industry crashed swiftly and you're suddenly seen as with the "wrong experience," you probably won't be as lucky... other factors such as age, health, and so on can also play a role.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:54 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Not really. For example, a company can claim to be hiring a "Mid-level engineer."

They then post the job, 100+ suckers like me apply for the 1 position, and then all they do is promote a currently employed junior level engineer to the same position. No new jobs are created, but technically they filled the role of "Mid-level engineer."

This happens a lot, and since it cheaper than hiring people, I don't expect this trend to change.
Then you have to ask yourself why they needed to promote someone in the first place. Generally it is because someone else left. And if they were just trying to be cheap in the first place why promote anyone. Just give them more work and responsibilities.

I'm not saying what you described never happens, but it certainly isn't the only way things happen. Even in a bad economy people leave for other jobs. Happens every day. And those people very often do get replaced. Either inter or external, it still generally requires a new headcount.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM

71 posts, read 229,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I have been playing the waiting game for a group sales (insurance) position that I thought i was well qualified for. I just talked with a friend that works for that same company. I didn't mention that I had applied for that job. He told me that 2 of his coworkers (whom I also know) were applying for that same job. I guess that I just have this mental picture that those two were content, happy to be employed, etc. One of the two has already had two interviews and feels confident that he will get the job. Anybody out there have any luck with these online jobs? I feel like my only shot at getting ahead will be to snag one of those 2 jobs if it becomes available due to promotion of one of them.

I don't understand why you seem to think these two coworkers wouldn't apply for a better position? Sure, they're happy to be employed, but why wouldn't they want to move up?

I'm happy to employed, I like my company, and would like to stay there, so I definitely will be applying for higher up positions in the future. I'm qualified. I've put in my time, and I do hope I'd be considered for internal positions. I'm happy to work for a company that hires internally and externally.

Would you want to work for a company that didn't hire internally? Because then there would be no room for growth within the company. Every person you know with a job was once hired from outside of the company before they moved up. So obviously companies hire outside of their employees.

Probably you are well-qualified for this position. But so are these other two people. And definitely even more who've applied.

Someone I know once told me that oftentimes it's not your qualifications that are a problem. It's who you're up against in the application process. I can imagine it's frustrating to compete with internal candidates, but at the same time, they need the opportunity too. They are probably equally frustrated by an external candidate applying for a position they feel should should be theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or