U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:05 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,088,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
I must agree with you. Nobody, IMO, was hit harder than the younger people, especially young college graduates. Almost all my counterparts right now my age are going through HELL at the moment trying to make it in life regardless of our efforts.
Add in the fact they are starting at lower salaries than those who came out in, for example, in 2005 when unemployment was low, and these starting salaries will result in lower salaries for at least their first 5-10 years versus those graduating in better economies.

My youngest neice should graduate next year, and she'll most likely fare worse than her sister who graduated in 2004. Hopefully, someday we'll return to unemployment rates like we had than.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 05:06 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,799,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
One cannot change their age, but they can continuously improve, and all should know the Fair Market Value for their position in their region. If one is far, far above it, one's performance best match its rank.
The color of ones skin, ones gender, ones looks are all intrinsic..ones work ethic, education, and training are only limited by ones own actions.
You just don't get it... the companies in question DO NOT CARE about your performance. They just look at the payroll and say, "this old guy costs more than this young guy - get rid of him." This happens all the time, unless of course you believe that everyone else is a liar, anti-age discrimination laws are just "liberal nonsense," and no corporation would ever base hiring and employment decisions upon anything other than an objective measurement of each person's skill and experience.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
You just don't get it... the companies in question DO NOT CARE about your performance. They just look at the payroll and say, "this old guy costs more than this young guy - get rid of him." This happens all the time, unless of course you believe that everyone else is a liar, anti-age discrimination laws are just "liberal nonsense," and no corporation would ever base hiring and employment decisions upon anything other than an objective measurement of each person's skill and experience.
I get it, but would suggest older workers never become complacent. One is not retired and on the payroll. One is not coasting if on the payroll. Will that protect all expensive workers-no! Life has 0 guarantees, but if one is smart, they do all in their power to tilt the odds in their favor.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,799,543 times
Quote:
I get it, but would suggest older workers never become complacent. One is not retired and on the payroll. One is not coasting if on the payroll. Will that protect all expensive workers-no! Life has 0 guarantees, but if one is smart, they do all in their power to tilt the odds in their favor.
I never said that they should get lazy, but based on my experiences, companies are laying off EXTREMELY experienced and skilled people - the types of guys who know the answer to everything and perform calculus by hand - just because "they are old and expensive." And then they replace them with twerps fresh out of college who can barely add two numbers, have never gotten their hands dirty, and who are more concerned with status and becoming a manager than they are with designing or building a working product. And all this happens because the company leaders (who are often the most overpaid and useless of the lot) simply look at a list of employee ID numbers and their salaries and get rid of the people with the biggest numbers. Talent simply doesn't matter in those cases.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I never said that they should get lazy, but based on my experiences, companies are laying off EXTREMELY experienced and skilled people - the types of guys who know the answer to everything and perform calculus by hand - just because "they are old and expensive." And then they replace them with twerps fresh out of college who can barely add two numbers, have never gotten their hands dirty, and who are more concerned with status and becoming a manager than they are with designing or building a working product. And all this happens because the company leaders (who are often the most overpaid and useless of the lot) simply look at a list of employee ID numbers and their salaries and get rid of the people with the biggest numbers. Talent simply doesn't matter in those cases.
Did you not indicate elsewhere you are 34-and worked there 10 years. So doing the math, I know which of us has seen MORE corps practices, more diversified environments, etc. That is not meant to be demeaning, but I see what you are expressing often. People believe one or two experiences are a microcosm of America, Not true.

I know you are struggling, and the following is hard, but I have seen this firsthand and often amongst friends and family, and you need to stop looking back as if its a microcosm of the future. You might be making it a self-fulfilling prophecy. There is no gain in than saying "I was correct".

Old 07-15-2012, 05:39 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,444,775 times
Quote:

If you think most older workers are like that, get a clue. Unless someone is a boss' friend or relative, they are working their proverbial butts off.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
If you think most older workers are like that, get a clue. Unless someone is a boss' friend or relative, they are working their proverbial butts off.
I did not indicate any percentage in any category. Please return to the thread on this planet now.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Did you not indicate elsewhere you are 34-and worked there 10 years. So doing the math, I know which of us has seen MORE corps practices, more diversified environments, etc. That is not meant to be demeaning, but I see what you are expressing often. People believe one or two experiences are a microcosm of America, Not true.

I know you are struggling, and the following is hard, but I have seen this firsthand and often amongst friends and family, and you need to stop looking back as if its a microcosm of the future. You might be making it a self-fulfilling prophecy. There is no gain in than saying "I was correct".

How is Rambler able to wave a magic wand and control the future?

Do you think he doesn't want a job?

Do you think he doesn't try to find work?

Do you think an educated person is just sitting there making things up?

Who does it hurt, him or you, if he doesn't work?

What are you really disagreeing with?

Do you believe all these people who are complaining about not finding jobs are just a bunch of whiners, and just ignore jobs that are out there?

Do you believe all jobs posted online are real jobs?

Do you believe an employer really will hire a good worker over a friend?

Old 07-15-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
How is Rambler able to wave a magic wand and control the future?

Do you think he doesn't want a job?

Do you think he doesn't try to find work?

Do you think an educated person is just sitting there making things up?
I'm saying its likely future employers will be better than his last one, time is on his side, he has several decades to rebound, and its wise to move on and treat a bad experience as a "one-off".

Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I'm saying its likely future employers will be better than his last one, time is on his side, he has several decades to rebound, and its wise to move on and treat a bad experience as a "one-off".

Glad you have a crystal ball. And he has no choice but to "move on" unless he can live on the streets, so that's nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or