U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,154,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Well, you can set your parameters to not allow public access to your private information. But allegedly, companies can get past that. So that means Facebook is allowing businesses to do that.

So that's one more reason not to use those things.

They are not called "social media" because companies can pry. Social media is about communication.
And post 9/11, cameras on the streets may be focused on folks bedrooms.

The reality is its always safe to assume one should not enter stuff on the net they would not wish seen by all.

Corps have asked for passwords per news reports, so they would not be asking if they were given access w/o the password.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 11:12 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,466,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
And post 9/11, cameras on the streets may be focused on folks bedrooms.

The reality is its always safe to assume one should not enter stuff on the net they would not wish seen by all.

Corps have asked for passwords per news reports, so they would not be asking if they were given access w/o the password.

Go one step better, and don't even have an account on those sites.
Why would one patronize a site like that?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:30 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,756,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Almost everyone that I know in a position to hire someone googles potential hires. Friend of mine almost hired someone until he saw her Facebook account and it was full of tales of getting drunk and pub crawling every weekend with pictures to match.

I paid to run a background check on myself and google myself on regular basis while I'm job hunting. That way there are no surprises lurking out there. Have a very unique name, only three people with my name in the U.S., so lucky for me the other two guys with my name have their act together as well. (one is my dad, so he better stay in line)
What's a good site for background checks? And how much are they?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:08 PM

644 posts, read 999,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Add in the fact they are starting at lower salaries than those who came out in, for example, in 2005 when unemployment was low, and these starting salaries will result in lower salaries for at least their first 5-10 years versus those graduating in better economies.

My youngest neice should graduate next year, and she'll most likely fare worse than her sister who graduated in 2004. Hopefully, someday we'll return to unemployment rates like we had than.
Yeah I think graduates who graduated after 2007 had it the worst. I'm a 2010 graduate and it's been nothing but hell ever since then just finding ANYTHING out there. Nepotism is really big here because it's small instead of going with the most qualified person.

I feel this way, at least the older people got to enjoy their youth without worrying about how they are going to pay their bills, student loans, and food on the table like younger people have to do right now.

My father at least got to enjoy building his own house and having many cars when he was younger than I am right now. *sigh* I wish I knew that feeling.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:00 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,228,784 times
Allow me to requote for emphasis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Yeah I think graduates who graduated after 2007 had it the worst. I'm a 2010 graduate and it's been nothing but hell ever since then just finding ANYTHING out there. Nepotism is really big here because it's small instead of going with the most qualified person.

I feel this way, at least the older people got to enjoy their youth without worrying about how they are going to pay their bills, student loans, and food on the table like younger people have to do right now.

My father at least got to enjoy building his own house and having many cars when he was younger than I am right now. *sigh* I wish I knew that feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or