U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 03:46 AM

644 posts, read 995,563 times

Advertisements

I know college/university career counselors look down on craigslist, but it has given me some leads to jobs to apply to, call, and look into moreso than Indeed.com, Monster.com, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:00 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,715,522 times
Yeah, this really depends. I actually found my experience to be the opposite of a previous poster, everything I encountered was a Nigeria scam or sex addict except for two. One of them was a photographer who said that he wanted to meet me at Hollywood and Highland but I think it may of simply been a gag joke because I set up a default message that responded to him saying I was clearly tired of people trying to scam me and I had received far too much spam. I only needed serious people. I guess he was a bit dense because he took this personally and he was saying, "I am being serious, I don't know why you're responding to me in such a rude manner." coupled with a lengthy speech. Then he even has the nerve to say, "I am no longer interested in conducting an interview." Alright, why write me to begin with?

One of them wanted me to sleep with him despite being a full decade older and even after I told him off saying he was immoral and I wasn't looking for sex work he was giving me attitude, "Why didn't you just not respond at all? You know you wasted your own breath. Then again, you could always just sleep with me and work as my assistant." Even by telling him I wasn't gonna talk anymore and I thought his parents must of raised him improperly, he wrote back, "Yeah, well, they raised me better than you since you're the one looking for a career. I have a successful professional career, and you? Speak for yourself. Someone misunderstood my intention." and still kept writing me but I didn't continue reading. I told him I was gonna show LAPD.

The only good one seemed to be Andrew Christian in Glendale, who needed administrative positions but chose not to hire me after an interview.

Then again, I met this one lady who found her job in a Little Tokyo cafe just from CL, so I guess there are some good ones. She was just saying, "Aww, yeah. There are a lot of scams on there but I guess I just got really lucky. Some of my friends found their jobs on CL or Monster, too." I haven't had much success with these online sites, the legit jobs on the other ones are legit but too far. Bleh.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:59 AM

3,646 posts, read 9,639,037 times
I have gotten jobs from CL, including my current work at home job. I've seen the OP type ads - the scam ones are not always easy to spot until they reply. My current work *looked* like a scam, and it wasn't, as it turned out. Same with the first one I got on CL - both hired me sight unseen - one was for a local business (Office Manager/Personal Assistant) in an office. The guy was a scumbag, but the work and the job was legit. I still haven't met my current boss in person - all communication is via email, phone and text. He's sent me a couple things in the mail (phone equipment, paperwork). But I get paid every week, via direct deposit, like clockwork (about 3 months now). Even mystery shopping companies are advertising via CL now (legitimate ones DO exist, but the pay/reimbursement is ridiculously low).

Some tips

Do NOT interview via "chat" or Skype (phone is okay)
Do NOT accept anything that requires you to send and receive packages (without opening them)
Do NOT pay to work
You are NOT going to make thousands each week receiving incoming calls with "no sales"

Many times, you apply for one job and they send you an email because although that position is now "filled", they believe you'd be GREAT for another - this is a scam

Like anything else, use your common sense and go with your gut

Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,715,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Do NOT interview via "chat" or Skype (phone is okay)
Do NOT accept anything that requires you to send and receive packages (without opening them)

Do NOT pay to work
You are NOT going to make thousands each week receiving incoming calls with "no sales"

Many times, you apply for one job and they send you an email because although that position is now "filled", they believe you'd be GREAT for another - this is a scam
Yeah, I've seen jobs like that. Do you think you can really go around town making $10,000 a week by being a UPS slave?

The worst part is, some of them actually have legit offices and photos even if the company isn't. Freaky...

Old 02-20-2017, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 331 times
So, what happens when you get caught up in the scam? Do you lose money or something?

Old 02-20-2017, 02:24 PM

4,822 posts, read 5,382,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rincia View Post
So, what happens when you get caught up in the scam? Do you lose money or something?

Scams are all about someone taking your money.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,873 posts, read 54,582,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
A lot of employers use craigslist, the newspaper costs about $600 just for a weekend ad. Craigslist is viable, you just have to be cautious. On your resume, on put your phone number, not a physical address, nor any identifying info. A reputable employer will call and you can fill out their app on their website or in their office.
I would only consider Craigslist jobs if the ad includes a link to the company website. We will post there, and just list a brief summary and the link to our employment page.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:45 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,946,510 times
I went on Craig' s list for the first time to check out their job opportunities. I saw jobs that appear legitimate but the pay was low. It is good for apartment hunting and selling stuff.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:08 PM

6,350 posts, read 3,415,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post

There are a lot of staffing agencies who try to take you off the market this way.

It's not just Craigslist, I see it on any of the big job search sites.
I am curious ..... why would a staffing agency want to do this? Thought they were supposed to get people to work.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:30 PM

10,616 posts, read 13,170,004 times
Watch out for responders for jobs that send text messages. One scammer was really trying to get me to write "Yes" in response to a job. The company name was an international one yet it was a domestic number.

Most employers will still call on the phone if interested. If you dont want to answer strange numbers, let VM take it. Legit employers will leave a message.

And if they ask you to bring money to an interview, its a sham also. One place lied outright to me that they were not an agency. A Google search proved otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search