U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:59 PM

13,879 posts, read 25,306,858 times

Advertisements

Found a job on cl the other day asking for someone to work part time in a Veterinary clinic for $12. I could afford to do that if it wasn't across town so I sent them an email and asked their general location.

I was amazed to get a response the next day...offering me a job. They asked for a personal assistant, part time, work from home. They offered me $680 per week and wanted me to start immediately. They sent me an application too.

It wasn't real. The spelling and grammatical errors gave it away immediately. The guy even misspelled his own name. Sigh! I wish there was some way to scam the scammers. That's a job I would love to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 02:55 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,138,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Found a job on cl the other day asking for someone to work part time in a Veterinary clinic for $12. I could afford to do that if it wasn't across town so I sent them an email and asked their general location.

I was amazed to get a response the next day...offering me a job. They asked for a personal assistant, part time, work from home. They offered me $680 per week and wanted me to start immediately. They sent me an application too.

It wasn't real. The spelling and grammatical errors gave it away immediately. The guy even misspelled his own name. Sigh! I wish there was some way to scam the scammers. That's a job I would love to have.
Sounds like a poorly executed scam, With it's misspellings. The thing is with so many people to reach it's a numbers game with the tricksters. Eventually a few people will take the bait. The old adage "If it sound's too good to be true, it probably is" is worth remembering. It's amazing how with an SS number and name how much damage identity thieves can do, In addition to simply taking peoples money.

Glad you did not fall for it!

Old 07-14-2012, 02:59 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,890,436 times
It's not really as new as you think.

A good way to sniff out a Craigslist scam immediately is when they email you a response. It's VERY rare (though, it has happened for me even once or twice) to receive a legit response for a job opportunity through craigslist by email.

Most/any legit employer will either contact you by phone or ignore you completely.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:02 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,138,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It's not really as new as you think.

A good way to sniff out a Craigslist scam immediately is when they email you a response. It's VERY rare (though, it has happened for me even once or twice) to receive a legit response for a job opportunity through craigslist by email.

Most/any legit employer will either contact you by phone or ignore you completely.
Rep for this! Employers still use the horn for interest in candidates, This is correct.

We should get more stories/advice on this Craigslist phenomenon. There are some legit things there but it's like finding a diamond buried in a landfill.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:09 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,434,659 times
I'm pretty careful about sending out my resume to blind ads. If they don't say who they are, or even some kind of description and crossroads, I am hesitant to give out my resume or contact information.

There are a lot of staffing agencies who try to take you off the market this way.

It's not just Craigslist, I see it on any of the big job search sites.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:10 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,890,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Rep for this! Employers still use the horn for interest in candidates, This is correct.

We should get more stories/advice on this Craigslist phenomenon. There are some legit things there but it's like finding a diamond buried in a landfill.
Searching for jobs on Craigslist is definitely like finding a diamond in the rough.

But I will say this, the diamonds in the rough on Craigslist are far more valuable once you find them than the easily accessible jewels on CareerBuilder, Indeed, Monster, etc.

By that, I mean on Craigslist, you can expect an employer to get back to you in a reasonable time if they're interested, the employers are looking to fill their positions immediately (the job postings are recent), and you don't have to go through the long application process to get an interview. You just send over an already prepared copy of your resume/cover letter and call it a day.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:14 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,434,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Searching for jobs on Craigslist is definitely like finding a diamond in the rough.

But I will say this, the diamonds in the rough on Craigslist are far more valuable once you find them than the easily accessible jewels on CareerBuilder, Indeed, Monster, etc.

By that, I mean on Craigslist, you can expect an employer to get back to you in a reasonable time if they're interested, the employers are looking to fill their positions immediately (the job postings are recent), and you don't have to go through the long application process to get an interview. You just send over an already prepared copy of your resume/cover letter and call it a day.

I agree. I found several jobs, part timers, on Craigslist.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:27 PM

2,953 posts, read 8,622,538 times
A lot of employers use craigslist, the newspaper costs about $600 just for a weekend ad. Craigslist is viable, you just have to be cautious. On your resume, on put your phone number, not a physical address, nor any identifying info. A reputable employer will call and you can fill out their app on their website or in their office.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:30 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,623,644 times
I ran into this. Company said it needed lawn help, not really my cup of tea, but I'll see what's up. I did receive a call and the more this guy talked the worse it sounded. The gist of it was, I go mow foreclosed property grass, with my equipment, my gas, my own transportation (again I pay for that gas too). I just had to take before and after pics of the mowed property. Now the properties we're in FL and this Co. is in Cali?

I've had extensive telemarketing experience and one of the common tactics is to get the potential consumer to be agreeable using terms like "right", "sounds good", 'don't you agree", etc. This guy just overdid it, way to obvious.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:31 PM

644 posts, read 993,956 times
Any type of personal assistant, receptionist, administrative assistant, or any other jobs like that are SCAMS. Unless they give you exact location, name of company, and reputable enough that you can google them(lol) then it's a scam. Don't do online jobs either that include being a personal assistant because they will send you driving around town doing errands for a scam.

I almost got caught up in something like this. The person was really tight lipped about their company and seemed too hasty to give me a job and I found that very suspicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search