Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:29 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
The stupidest one , and the one I have the hardest time with is "Why do you want to work for this Co'.? I just feel like telling them, "I really don't want to work for you or anyone else, but since the lottery isn't paying off and I can't find a sugar momma, I figure your Co. is a good place to kick it for awhile and pay a few bills and get some good green". I swear next time I go on an interview , I really don't want the job , I'm telling them this.
I would LOVE that question. What's stupid about asking why you want to work for the company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
The stupidest one , and the one I have the hardest time with is "Why do you want to work for this Co'.? I just feel like telling them, "I really don't want to work for you or anyone else, but since the lottery isn't paying off and I can't find a sugar momma, I figure your Co. is a good place to kick it for awhile and pay a few bills and get some good green". I swear next time I go on an interview , I really don't want the job , I'm telling them this.
It's a GOOD question. They are trying to determine if they are THE corp you really HOPE to work for (as opposed to just any old one), just as the candidates hope they are THE candidate-not just, eh, one of many indistinquishable from each other.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
It's a GOOD question. They are trying to determine if they are THE corp you really HOPE to work for (as opposed to just any old one), just as the candidates hope they are THE candidate-not just, eh, one of many indistinquishable from each other.
Bob I;m hoping I get that question on the next interview. It's a very good one

Old 07-14-2012, 10:02 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I would LOVE that question. What's stupid about asking why you want to work for the company?
Well, I've only encountered a couple of times, but when I'm applying in my niche specific trade realm, it should be obvious to them from my resume, this is what I do, I've been doing it since 1986. I obviously must like it since I've invested so much time to it. They know they are one of a handfull of companies in any given State that offer the opportunity. Generally, if I get a call back, I get a job and the interview more pertains to when can you start and what kind of money do you want. It's rare to be asked the question but sometimes a recruiter or biz just slightly outside my trade might ask.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
It was the first and only question he asked, and I was left speechless. it's such an open ended question--I didn't know if he wanted to know about my personal or professional life. The interview ended very quickly
Why? He gave you an opportunity to tout your own horn and you didn't take advantage? You should have told him that you are a hard worker, dedicated and always wanted to work in the field and for the company where you applied.
If I was interviewing and the person asked such simple questioncould not comfortably talk for five minutes I would hesitate before. Making you talk to some managers.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Why? He gave you an opportunity to tout your own horn and you didn't take advantage? You should have told him that you are a hard worker, dedicated and always wanted to work in the field and for the company where you applied.
If I was interviewing and the person asked such simple questioncould not comfortably talk for five minutes I would hesitate before. Making you talk to some managers.
It's too general which is why so many people I talked to had issues with the question. It sounds better to say, tell me a little bit about your work history or talk a little about your personality. Not just coming out and saying..."tell me about yourself"

It's such a lazy way to find out about a job candidate

Old 07-14-2012, 10:36 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I had this happen to me by a male interviewer earlier this year. Most awkward and weird moment of my life. I just thought he didn't like me. And I didn't get the job either.

Sorry to hear that.
I find rough tactics like that very disarming.
Tells a lot about the interviewer, if they have to do things like that.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:56 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Quote:

Yes, they want to make sure they aren't getting a free thinker or a deep thinker, no way...they want to see signs of the suck up mentality right off, so they can read you loud and clear.

If it didn't matter, they wouldn't be SO focused on personality and have their interest in your skills and what you can do for them.

You KNOW they really aren't interested in your golf game or how well you play piano.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:17 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
It's funny to watch how folks find this question so threatening. LOL!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
It's funny to watch how folks find this question so threatening. LOL!

what question? Tell me about yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search