Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 05:26 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times

Advertisements

I been getting mixed answers to this question. Some say you are only supposed to sell your "personality and character" and then some say you are supposed to talk about your strengths and linked them to the job you are applying for. I struggled with this question last month because no one never asked me this question on a job interview and it showed because the interview went downhill from the beginning.

So what type of response is best for "Tell me about yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 05:34 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
What I will tell you is, whenever that question is asked, there's a good chance you're not getting the job.

I mean, think about it, why would they ask you to "tell me about yourself" when everything they need to know is listed in your cover letter and resume?

Translated, they basically want to know why the hell are you wasting their time when you're not hardly qualified for this position?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
What I will tell you is, whenever that question is asked, there's a good chance you're not getting the job.

I mean, think about it, why would they ask you to "tell me about yourself" when everything they need to know is listed in your cover letter and resume?

Translated, they basically want to know why the hell are you wasting their time when you're not hardly qualified for this position?

Interesting, wonder if anyone feels this way. You know it was something that didn't feel right about that interview from the start and then when I was hit with that question I was more shocked than anything because in my head I was like...."HUH?"

Old 07-14-2012, 06:56 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,510,670 times
Yeah, it sounds like a little "time filler" to act like they are conducting an interview.

Another technique is for them to stare at you and not say anything.
Someone older told me about this long ago.
How he applied for an accounting job, and the manager just stopped talking and stared/glared at
him.
He said he knew that game. It is supposed to make YOU uncomfortable, after all, YOU, the interviewee, is in the HOT SEAT...so you try to fill up the uncomfortable silence by talking, and perhaps, you'll volunteer some information about yourself the manager might like to know...

He said he sat there and looked the man back in the eye.
Eventually the manager started talking again. But he said he knew that game, and he wasn't going to fall for it.

It's pretty sad when they resort to these childish techniques. To me, it shows a manager who doesn't know how to read people or hire them.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Yeah, it sounds like a little "time filler" to act like they are conducting an interview.

How he applied for an accounting job, and the manager just stopped talking and stared/glared at
him.
He said he knew that game. It is supposed to make YOU uncomfortable, after all, YOU, the interviewee, is in the HOT SEAT...so you try to fill up the uncomfortable silence by talking, and perhaps, you'll volunteer some information about yourself the manager might like to know...

Eventually the manager started talking again. But he said he knew that game, and he wasn't going to fall for it.

It's pretty sad when they resort to these childish techniques. To me, it shows a manager who doesn't know how to read people or hire them.

I was never asked that question in the beginning of a interview and it threw me off completely

Old 07-14-2012, 07:38 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

This question is one of the most common questions in a job interview so what you said is definitely not true. In fact all interview books address this question and how to answer it. Generally you want to answer it by discussing your career progression and the skills you developed and how it is applicable to the job you are interviewing for. You also want to discuss why you are interested in the job and how the skills you have developed will contribute to being successful at the job. If you are wondering, I have never been in an interview where this question was NOT asked.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:45 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post

him.

I had this happen to me by a male interviewer earlier this year. Most awkward and weird moment of my life. I just thought he didn't like me. And I didn't get the job either.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
This question is one of the most common questions in a job interview so what you said is definitely not true. In fact all interview books address this question and how to answer it. Generally you want to answer it by discussing your career progression and the skills you developed and how it is applicable to the job you are interviewing for. You also want to discuss why you are interested in the job and how the skills you have developed will contribute to being successful at the job. If you are wondering, I have never been in an interview where this question was NOT asked.

I;m serious, every single question I been asked on a interview and tell me about yourself was not one of them. The closest someone came to asking me that question was at the end of the interview when he said..."why should I hire you?"

Old 07-14-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I had this happen to me by a male interviewer earlier this year. Most awkward and weird moment of my life. I just thought he didn't like me. And I didn't get the job either.
what was your experience? You was asked this at the beginning of the interview?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:58 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times
how about "why don't you tell me about YOURSELF". you know you arent gonna get the job anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search