Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:26 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
its a loaded question, without a doubt.

Interviewing has become so menial its ridiculous. Honestly, if that question comes about, you're probably not getting the job like folks have said.

Firing back with "well didn't you read my resume?" might actually be your best bet because they can see you're on your toes and actually get the interviewer interested when they clearly werent to begin with.
So you feel by asking that question the interviewer is not interested to begin with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 01:32 PM

491 posts, read 472,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So you feel by asking that question the interviewer is not interested to begin with?
I've gotten that question too. It's just beyond open ended...you're dealing with someone you've never met before....it just seems like a question setting you up to fail if you go off on the wrong tangent.

I mean, what is someone looking to get out of you by asking you that question?

Old 07-19-2012, 01:36 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
I've gotten that question too. It's just beyond open ended...you're dealing with someone you've never met before....it just seems like a question setting you up to fail if you go off on the wrong tangent.

I know and that's exactly what they did.....set me up to FAIL

Old 07-19-2012, 01:38 PM

491 posts, read 472,166 times
Quote:
I mean you could go with the "well, I'm a self starter and a hunter, but I also consider myself a team player yada yada yada..."

But how does that separate you from other candidates?

As Marisa Tomei once said...it's a bull**** question

Old 07-19-2012, 01:44 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Interesting, I've been asked this question twice and both times I got the job. Guess I tell my story well. I start at college, work through job experience and certification then grad school. Keep it concise, simple and relevant. They dont need to know my dogs name when I was 5.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Ummm, tell them about yourself?

Old 07-19-2012, 03:33 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Shouldn't you be able to answer that question better than anyone?

Old 07-19-2012, 03:50 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
I mean you could go with the "well, I'm a self starter and a hunter, but I also consider myself a team player yada yada yada..."

But how does that separate you from other candidates?

As Marisa Tomei once said...it's a bull**** question

I agree, and I've answered questions like that just that way.

I'm a self-starter.

I work hard.

I don't say I work well independently anymore, because then they'd think I'm not a "team player".

The typical buzzwords.

If they want to know about someone's skills, that's a question.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:59 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:

A little bit about you and your personality. Why is that such simple question seems to be so hard? What do you have to hide?
Resumes are very formal and dont tell anything about your personality, one of the factors determining your value to the employer.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:02 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
A little bit about you and your personality. Why is that such simple question seems to be so hard? What do you have to hide?
Resumes are very formal and dont tell anything about your personality, one of the factors determining your value to the employer.

Why is a personality so important? I've worked with people who were so skilled, so intelligent, so good at what they did, but were not spotlights with the small talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search