U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 08:16 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,435,500 times

Advertisements

What is the limit? How much can they pry into your background?
This is an excerpt, one has to agree with, to continue with the app.
It's not just looking for criminal history, it is looking for what your friends, neighbors, and former coworkers think of you, your reputation, your personal characteristics??

... the last seven years regarding my credit background, references, character, past employment, work habits, education, general reputation, personal characteristics, mode of living, civil judgments and liens as well as any criminal conviction records consistent with federal and state law. I understand that such information may be obtained through any means, including but not limited to personal interviews with my neighbors, friends or associates or with others whom I am acquainted or who may have knowledge concerning my character, general reputation, personal characteristics or mode of living. I understand that such information may also be obtained through direct or indirect contact with former employers, schools, financial institutions, landlords and public agencies or other persons who may have such knowledge.

What do you think?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 28,537,570 times
well if you don't give your written authorization they can't investigate those things but if you want to be considered for a job, loan, credit, co-op, etc you have to give your authorization for them to do it

those usually are investigative consumer reports run under federal FCRA laws

Old 07-14-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
well if you don't give your written authorization they can't investigate those things but if you want to be considered for a job, loan, credit, co-op, etc you have to give your authorization for them to do it

those usually are investigative consumer reports run under federal FCRA laws

Read the paragraph, though...it talks about talking to your friends, your neighbors, your personal habits, what you are like...

General reputation, mode of living, personal characteristics.

This isn't just a credit check. It is finding out EVERYTHING about you.

It says the information can be obtained by any means.

Isn't this going way too far?

What happened to having credentials?

It isn't about whether or not you have a criminal background. Anyone who has no record should be concerned because of the nature of the investigations. They want to find out who and what you are.

They are going to talk to your neighbors?

Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,966,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Read the paragraph, though...it talks about talking to your friends, your neighbors, your personal habits, what you are like...

General reputation, mode of living, personal characteristics.

This isn't just a credit check. It is finding out EVERYTHING about you.

It says the information can be obtained by any means.

Isn't this going way too far?

What happened to having credentials?

It isn't about whether or not you have a criminal background. Anyone who has no record should be concerned because of the nature of the investigations. They want to find out who and what you are.

They are going to talk to your neighbors?

Context please.

What kind of job are you applying for?

For someone who is trying for jobs that require certain clearance types-- this is not out of the ordinary. Years ago I had a coworker who was going into the Secret Service. They interviewed coworkers, managers, school teachers, neighbors, friends, family, classmates, etc. If I recall the entire process takes almost a year.

Same applied for the folks I know who went into FBI, CIA, etc.

I would imagine similar procedures go with trying to get Top Security Clearances for even non military professionals aka defense contractors, etc.

Oh and credentials stopped being the only thing that someone needed when people started out completely lying about said credentials blatantly. I would imagine this started right around when the idea of a credential started. Human nature-- sometimes people prefer to lie versus to really actually work for something (in this case a credential).

Old 07-15-2012, 06:47 AM

10,613 posts, read 13,141,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
What is the limit? How much can they pry into your background?
This is an excerpt, one has to agree with, to continue with the app.
It's not just looking for criminal history, it is looking for what your friends, neighbors, and former coworkers think of you, your reputation, your personal characteristics??

... the last seven years regarding my credit background, references, character, past employment, work habits, education, general reputation, personal characteristics, mode of living, civil judgments and liens as well as any criminal conviction records consistent with federal and state law. I understand that such information may be obtained through any means, including but not limited to personal interviews with my neighbors, friends or associates or with others whom I am acquainted or who may have knowledge concerning my character, general reputation, personal characteristics or mode of living. I understand that such information may also be obtained through direct or indirect contact with former employers, schools, financial institutions, landlords and public agencies or other persons who may have such knowledge.

What do you think?
This sounds like a position that requires security clearance or handling of large funds. Is it? If not, It is a bit much and I doubt they would use the time and resources to track down neighbors, friends etc.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:04 AM

3,111 posts, read 7,016,087 times
Are you applying for the CIA??

Old 07-15-2012, 07:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,772 posts, read 54,408,375 times
It's not just the the CIA or FBI, jobs requiring specific credentials to gain access to secure facilities such as shipping terminals where foreign ships land, or companies concerned with corporate espionage may do the same. If you want the job you will have to agree to it.Even normal jobs do go father than ever before simply because they can. With so many applicants for every position this requirement will weed out people that fil to agree, knowing something negative will show up, so the employer doesn't even have to do the research and is able to reduce the applicant pool to a more manageable number who are mostly squeaky clean.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:32 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,754,055 times
I highly doubt if this is a run of the mill job they are going to be talking to your neighbors.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:22 PM

1,735 posts, read 6,092,736 times
I have many friends in the aerospace industry that require security clearance and have been interviewed by the FBI on several occasions. So, as previously mentioned, it depends upon the type of job you're referring to. Even a janitor would be required to go through this background check if they have access to clearance-required information. Go watch The Falcon and the Snowman.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Context please.

What kind of job are you applying for?

For someone who is trying for jobs that require certain clearance types-- this is not out of the ordinary. Years ago I had a coworker who was going into the Secret Service. They interviewed coworkers, managers, school teachers, neighbors, friends, family, classmates, etc. If I recall the entire process takes almost a year.

Same applied for the folks I know who went into FBI, CIA, etc.

I would imagine similar procedures go with trying to get Top Security Clearances for even non military professionals aka defense contractors, etc.

Oh and credentials stopped being the only thing that someone needed when people started out completely lying about said credentials blatantly. I would imagine this started right around when the idea of a credential started. Human nature-- sometimes people prefer to lie versus to really actually work for something (in this case a credential).

Phone customer service with Facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search