U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 04:17 AM

39 posts, read 318,304 times

Advertisements

I was brought in for an interview at two different employers for great jobs. Then I sent a thank you letter and waited for the phone to ring. Finally about two weeks later the phone rang a few days apart and I was invited in for a second interview. The second interviews went well, and I sent a second thankyou letter. Now two weeks have passed and not a word from either place. Everytime the phone rings I jump just thinking that finally my long nightmare of unemployment is going to end and one or both companies will offer me a job.

SHOULD I CALL THEM? Two LONG weeks have passed without a word! If I do call and ask if a decision was made will that anger them? They DO have my phone number and email address. Do you think calling will help or hurt me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:24 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,785,071 times
I doubt it will make much of a difference either way.

The game these days is to run candidates through piles of interviews, tell them how great they are and give them a tour of the place, promise to make a decision in "a few weeks," and then end all contact with them while hiring nobody.

Long story short, if you hear nothing in a few more weeks, maybe give them a call or an email since by that point they will either be in the process of hiring you or will have pulled the usual "ignore the candidate" tactic, in which contacting them can't make the situation any worse, IMHO.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:47 PM

15,022 posts, read 21,719,486 times
I think it usually doesn't make a difference, however on a couple occasions I have called. One job the woman who was hiring was forgetful and busy as anything. I called to find out the status. The next day, she apologized she was so busy and made me an offer.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:18 PM

841 posts, read 1,661,677 times
Default Try to get email contact info BEFORE you leave the interview

I disagree. Sometimes it can show you're very keen for the job.

You can try to email the person you interviewed with and ask if they have made a decision and repeat you are interested.

If after this you get no reply or a curt response then you can pretty much figure you are out of the running.

Calling may get you to the gatekeeper who has no plans on letting you know anything.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:38 PM

491 posts, read 2,039,645 times
Definitely follow up if you are interested. By now, I would have already sent a thank you note and called to follow up. But I'm not one to sit back and hope for things to happen. What's the worst thing that could happen? You could just get voicemail or be told no, then you can move forward. The best thing that could happen is that someone thinks you are a go-getter who is more interested in the job than the applicants who did not follow up. Carpe Diem!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:11 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,433,940 times
If they want you, they will call you.

Calling them might appear desperate.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 AM

491 posts, read 2,039,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post

I've hired many people - calling after an interview is not desperate. Calling multiple times for no reason - that would be considered desperate and neurotic.

Believe me, calling after an interview to follow up is something few younger applicants ever do, and it's something they SHOULD do unless explicitly told not to. It's good etiquette and shows you are interested in the position and that you have good social skills.

Also, I personally know of instances where following up got someone the job. It happened to me once, long ago. I was told my followup calls got me a job because I was the only one who bothered, and the simple act of following up set me apart froma very competitive situation. Now, when I am hiring, I much appreciate nice followups because it helps me separate applicants in my mind, and I have further validation of their communication skills.

While following up alone won't get you a position you are not a good fit for, it is never bad form to do so, unless, again, you have been instructed not to call.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 PM
FBJ

39,611 posts, read 50,267,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life time student View Post
I was brought in for an interview at two different employers for great jobs. Then I sent a thank you letter and waited for the phone to ring. Finally about two weeks later the phone rang a few days apart and I was invited in for a second interview. The second interviews went well, and I sent a second thankyou letter. Now two weeks have passed and not a word from either place. Everytime the phone rings I jump just thinking that finally my long nightmare of unemployment is going to end and one or both companies will offer me a job.

SHOULD I CALL THEM? Two LONG weeks have passed without a word! If I do call and ask if a decision was made will that anger them? They DO have my phone number and email address. Do you think calling will help or hurt me?

No point in calling, they have your information. And if you have to call after 2 weeks that's usually not a good sign.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:31 AM

33 posts, read 97,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post

That is bad advice. Very very bad.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:24 PM
FBJ

39,611 posts, read 50,267,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabanstva View Post
That is bad advice. Very very bad.
If someone asked today what the next step is in the hiring process and they tell you when they will make a decision by July 20th. So if you hear nothing on the 20th then why call? To hear they chose someone else? or a voicemail?

Like the poster said if you are the one they want to hire they will call you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or