Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:26 PM

459 posts, read 1,739,734 times

Advertisements

I have a job interview soon, just trying to herd up some additional questions I could possibly ask my interviewers..does anyone have any good ideas of something general yet thoughtful to ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 01:00 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,460,725 times
If it's general it probably won't be very thoughtful. I'm a technical dude so I tend to go into what their processes are, what types of technology companies use, how they test things, how teams are split up, how things go from conception to product.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:32 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,959,270 times
Some things I asked in my last interview and they said they were impressed:

Who is your competition? --- It's good to know what your potential employer is up against.

What are you plans for growth in the next five years? --- They'll probably ask you what your five year plan, so why not ask them. Are they planning on growing? If not, you might not get much opportunity to move up in your career.

How many people work for your company? --- It's good to know the size of your employer if you're interested in moving up the ladder some day.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:37 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Some things I asked in my last interview and they said they were impressed:

Who is your competition? --- It's good to know what your potential employer is up against.

What are you plans for growth in the next five years? --- They'll probably ask you what your five year plan, so why not ask them. Are they planning on growing? If not, you might not get much opportunity to move up in your career.

How many people work for your company? --- It's good to know the size of your employer if you're interested in moving up the ladder some day.
Keep in mind if it is a public company I would expect a candidate to know some of these by doing some research.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:59 PM

18,368 posts, read 31,458,607 times
When do we get paid.
How many vacation days do we get?
What type of medical do you have?
Does all the employees get along?
Can we leave early the day before a holiday?

Old 05-11-2011, 02:09 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,136,352 times
If you work on projects, you could ask how are project teams usually formed.

Do you have opportunities for technical and professional development? If so, what are these opportunities?

You could ask more specific questions about the position, things you may think of throughout the actual interview.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:52 PM

459 posts, read 1,739,734 times
i realized how ridiculous this question was the minute I posted it. I spent my drive over there brainstorming possible questions to ask..

Mostly asked the following..asked about their company culture and why they enjoyed working there, asked what qualities are absolutely necessary in order to be successful at that position. Asked them more about what would immediately be expected of me in the job - such as day to day responsibilities as the job description was VERY vague.

I was interviewed by 10 people. i have never seen it to that magnitude. Found out though they are hiring for 2 positions instead of just one now. Good news for me.

Think it went well, i am working on handwriting my 10 thank you notes now as i have all of their business cards

Old 05-11-2011, 04:24 PM

149 posts, read 324,950 times
lol nightcrawler

Good luck to you stargirl007

Old 05-11-2011, 07:06 PM

1,759 posts, read 5,120,152 times
How soon can I use sick time?

Old 05-11-2011, 07:52 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,989,538 times
Default 10 people? Throw 'em off a little to balance the scales...

Too late for you, but when I have felt "outnumbered" I have resorted to "tricks" to throw curve.
While it won't make for being totally unprepared , if you have "plan b" type diversion it can even the playing field / buy time. Bring a box of cough drops. Kinda force your throat to go dry . Make big dramatic pause. Bring out the cough drops. Sorta offer to the interviews / get the ok from them. Unwrap slowly. Put in mouth . Such slowly. Wait for throat to recover. Really slows things down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
i realized how ridiculous this question was the minute I posted it. I spent my drive over there brainstorming possible questions to ask..

Mostly asked the following..asked about their company culture and why they enjoyed working there, asked what qualities are absolutely necessary in order to be successful at that position. Asked them more about what would immediately be expected of me in the job - such as day to day responsibilities as the job description was VERY vague.

I was interviewed by 10 people. i have never seen it to that magnitude. Found out though they are hiring for 2 positions instead of just one now. Good news for me.

Think it went well, i am working on handwriting my 10 thank you notes now as i have all of their business cards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search