U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 AM

4,451 posts, read 4,300,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by life time student View Post
I am going crazy sitting by the phone waiting for a job offer at the places I have interviewed at recently.
I know for professional positions paying more than $40K a year the process takes longer but how long exactly?

Think back to the last time you were hired, how long after you were interviewed did the job offer come in? What do you think is a traditional amount of time?
I'm working hard to get a position, and by hard, I mean 2 projects (spent about 40 hours on those), a personality profile test, and 2 interviews. This has gone on since early June!!!! The guy I'm interviewing with is out of town on vacation every other week (this week on vacation), and despite busting my a*s for him, he's moving at a snail's pace and giving 5 other guys to "catch up"(ie: complete projects) to where I am in the interview process. This means another month. UNBELIEVABLE, but thats the world we live in today.

Another company, which I don't expect an offer from, but haven't been eliminated yet, started on 5/21. Had 3 interviews with him. Still in the running and no offer yet.

By the way, I'm in financial services, if it matters. When I say financial services, I DO NOT mean sales, but the real work of making the decisions of how to invest peoples money and then executing those decisions (building a portfolio).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 05:26 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life time student View Post
I am going crazy sitting by the phone waiting for a job offer at the places I have interviewed at recently.
I know for professional positions paying more than $40K a year the process takes longer but how long exactly?

Think back to the last time you were hired, how long after you were interviewed did the job offer come in? What do you think is a traditional amount of time?
4 business days

Old 07-16-2012, 05:39 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,816,199 times
For my first job out of college I heard back after 3 weeks which was considered unusual even by the recruiter. For all my other jobs, they hired me on the spot. I agree with the people here that if you don't hear back within a week, it isn't looking good. Government jobs take much longer but they usually tell you that it does.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:35 AM

4,947 posts, read 7,606,905 times
Definitely depends on the position and company. I was just hired at a small firm and had a written offer about six hours after the interview. I think they have a pretty good idea if you are gonna be a good fit in a small firm. At larger, more corporate situations I would definitely think the process could take quite a bit longer.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:37 AM

12,621 posts, read 15,081,361 times
From time of initial contact to offer, it has been 8 weeks. For my current position:

1/ Interview with HR (phone)
2/ Interview with hiring manager (phone)
3/ Technical interview (phone)
4/ Interview with Sales VP (phone)
5/ In person interview HM, Technical Director and VP
6/ Background and reference check
7/ Negotiation and offer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or