Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 PM

404 posts, read 1,147,646 times

Advertisements

NO. Interviews are not the SAT's. EVERY interviewer is different. You're being interviewed by PEOPLE and not robots seeking the perfect answer.

Be prepared for
1. So tell me about yourself
2. What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses?
-Never reveal a weakness such as meeting deadlines or coming to work on time.
3. Tell me about a time you had to overcome/solve a difficult problem

-Do research on the company before your interview and prepare question to show you're interest and knowledge in the company.
-ALWAYS stay positive and smile. NEVER mention ANYTHING negative such as bosses, old coworkers, and duties you hate.

Get all those tips down and you're set for ANY interview
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 02:59 PM

39 posts, read 389,986 times
So if I were an actor I should not practice and get feedback from professionals in an acting class because the acting class would not be the real thing? Or if I were a public speaker- I should not get feedback, advice and cousel from a professional in public speaking because in the classroom I would not be in front of the actual audience?

Interesting logic?

Last edited by life time student; 07-18-2012 at 03:39 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 03:42 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life time student View Post
So what you are all days is if I were an actor I should not practice and get feedback from professionals in an acting class because the acting class would not be the real thing? Or if I were a public speaker I should not get feedback, advice and cousel from a professional in public speaking because in the classroom I would not be in front of the actual audience?

Interesting logic?
If you feel that going to a mock interviewer will help you then go. We are just saying that you won't get as much value as you think you will. It is likely that the feedback you get won't differ much from the feedback other people will give you. IMO, the best mock interview would be one with a person who works in the field or company that you want to work for and who has hired or interviewed people before. They would give you the best feedback and the best tips for being successful. For example, back in my college, there were clubs for Investment Banking with active alumni who gave mock interviews. These mock interviews were very useful to a lot of the aspiring candidates since they were given by people who knew the ins and outs of the hiring process.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life time student View Post
So if I were an actor I should not practice and get feedback from professionals in an acting class because the acting class would not be the real thing? Or if I were a public speaker- I should not get feedback, advice and cousel from a professional in public speaking because in the classroom I would not be in front of the actual audience?

Interesting logic?
It definitely helps to practice but a mock interview is not worth $70. That recruiter is not even in your field and will probably just ask general interview questions. I think it's kind of slimy that she's trying to make money off of unemployed people.

I went through 16 interviews to finally land a job last year. What I learned is that EVERYBODY is different. Every office has a different culture, every job is unique, and not every interviewer is seeking the same answers. Some interviewers like to talk and ramble, others expect you to do all the talking. Some are stiff and by the book, others just want to have a casual conversation. Some care about your schooling, others care less and just want to know about your work experience. Paying $70 for a mock interview will not prepare you for all the different scenarios.

Your goal in an interview is to sell yourself as the absolute BEST person for that position in that company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search