Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 PM

149 posts, read 197,120 times

Advertisements

I'm getting very frustrated with my job hunt situation. I currently have a job but feel it's time to move on. I've had my resume reviewed and all is well. Better than well actually. I've had pretty good luck finding possible positions and have applied to all of interest. I've been doing this now for four months. You know how many calls I've received so far? ZERO. Not even for a phone screen. Now I'm not under any illusion the job market is good but is it normal to be this hard to even get a phone call? I'm in a field that every company requires my skill set so I know it's not because of that. Is anybody else noticing the same thing? I've always been told it's easier to get a job when you already have a job. I'm thinking that may not be right. No comments needed on my grammar not helping me get a call. I'm not writing here the way I write cover letters and my resume.

Note - I'm asking about the Raleigh/Durham market specifically. Other markets are of no use or interest to me.

Last edited by CA2MA2NC; 07-17-2012 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Added note because I seemed to have posted in the wrong forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 04:30 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,135 times
Well, the job market is terrible and most "jobs" posted online are fake. The company is just window-shopping, or they leave the job up there for months or years to "create excitement about the company's growth potential" or because budgeting for a worker that you never hire lets them spend the money on something else. Either way, given the number of posted jobs that are never filled, it's obvious most of them are fake.

At least you currently have a job since if you didn't, you'd be facing "no unemployed need apply," the new method corporations use to weed out all those horrible unemployed people... who as we all know are lazy and useless, or so I've been told over and over again.

Anyway, I know how you feel. The job market is a joke, and there are more stooges out there claiming "all is well' than there are people actually trying to fix the problems. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,277 times
I had to rep you, Rambler, but it wouldn't let me rep you again.

This is exactly what I am finding, too.

I had a recruiter at a big business actually tell me there was no job. I had asked why, when I applied over and over, I never got a call. I said that the job had been open for over a year, and wanted to know why I wasn't even interviewed for it. "Well, there is no job".

Someone told me they have to keep jobs on Careerbuilder to keep their account open. I don't know if this is true, but it probably is just what you said, trying to see who applies or if they have someone picked out already, that they scoped the market.

I feel invisible, but I know that is because there are no jobs, and I too am tired of the ones who pretend everything is just okay.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 PM

241 posts, read 1,019,974 times
Yeah jobs are just getting harder to have. At least u have a job while you're looking. Can u imagine how difficult and frustrating it would be if u had no income? Yes, the majority of times the places u apply or submit your resume never call back.

So yeah multiply all those times u get no response and u could see how people can get discourage and lose hope quick.

It is just a nightmare out there looking for something to land. The worst part is everyone needs an income to be able to live in this world.

Last edited by rgarjr; 07-17-2012 at 04:47 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
Yeah jobs are just getting harder to have. At least u have a job while you're looking. Can u imagine how difficult and frustrating it would be if u had no income? Yes, the majority of times the places u apply or submit your resume never call back.

So yeah multiply all those times u get no response and u could see how people can get discourage and lose hope quick.

It is just a nightmare out there looking for something to land. The worst part is everyone needs an income to be able to live in this world.

I would gladly have lived in a time when people lived off the land. We are slaves to currency now.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I would gladly have lived in a time when people lived off the land. We are slaves to currency now.
A valid point - many people survived the previous Depression by returning to the family farm and substinance agriculture. Good luck with that now. People today have nothing to offer but their labor. In a sane society, the good workers would be employed... but not today. No, instead brown-nosers and idiots retain their jobs, the rest of us are left competing for dwindling scraps, and morons stand by on the sidelines, chanting "Profits are up! All is well!" It gets really tiresome.

Oh, and I've been told "there is no job" by companies to my face, too. It's a joke - if there's no job, stop posting it! And even if you have to post *something* to Careerbuilder or whatever to maintain your account, have the respect for applicants to label the job "contigent on contract award" or something so we don't waste our time applying to (or interviewing for) jobs that don't really exist.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
A valid point - many people survived the previous Depression by returning to the family farm and substinance agriculture. Good luck with that now. People today have nothing to offer but their labor. In a sane society, the good workers would be employed... but not today. No, instead brown-nosers and idiots retain their jobs, the rest of us are left competing for dwindling scraps, and morons stand by on the sidelines, chanting "Profits are up! All is well!" It gets really tiresome.

Oh, and I've been told "there is no job" by companies to my face, too. It's a joke - if there's no job, stop posting it! And even if you have to post *something* to Careerbuilder or whatever to maintain your account, have the respect for applicants to label the job "contigent on contract award" or something so we don't waste our time applying to (or interviewing for) jobs that don't really exist.

We are experiencing what happens with a technological society, but too large of a population, and jobs that have left our shores. Unless those factors change, things will get worse, and the people who have it good will become a minority, not a majority. I for one, feel caught in the cracks.

I agree, we have nothing to offer but our labor, and we have no unions, and I use the term loosely here, to represent solidarity.

Thomas Jefferson told James Madison: "I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries as long as they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant lands in any part of America. When they get plied upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."

Old 07-17-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
We are experiencing what happens with a technological society, but too large of a population, and jobs that have left our shores. Unless those factors change, things will get worse, and the people who have it good will become a minority, not a majority. I for one, feel caught in the cracks.

I agree, we have nothing to offer but our labor, and we have no unions, and I use the term loosely here, to represent solidarity.

Thomas Jefferson told James Madison: "I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries as long as they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant lands in any part of America. When they get plied upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
Far too many Americans these days would happily lead a blind man into a wall if they could get a laugh out of it. Just look around at all the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps!" and "nobody owes you anything, even if you did follow the rules, work hard, and do everything right!" louts that float around this forum and you'll see what I mean.

Jefferson also wasn't too fond of large banks:

Jefferson made in a letter to John Taylor in 1816. He wrote, "And I sincerely believe, with you, that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."

Notice he didn't add on the end, "But it's okay if they screw the people if they turn a profit."

Old 07-17-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Far too many Americans these days would happily lead a blind man into a wall if they could get a laugh out of it. Just look around at all the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps!" and "nobody owes you anything, even if you did follow the rules, work hard, and do everything right!" louts that float around this forum and you'll see what I mean.

Jefferson also wasn't too fond of large banks:

Jefferson made in a letter to John Taylor in 1816. He wrote, "And I sincerely believe, with you, that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."

Notice he didn't add on the end, "But it's okay if they screw the people if they turn a profit."

Yes, people who haven't truly struggled don't want to get it. I've moved around the country (not to the next county) to stay employed.
I've worked hard and went the extra mile. If I had not done all those things, I would not be frustrated. I would know I had been lacking. But when one knows they tried, more than tried...
I've had people tell me I need to keep calling a company over and over to let them know I am interested. They don't get that's decades old, and no one wants calls. "Don't call us, we'll call you."

Some just spread the sunshine, because things are going well for them but someone on here once wrote a great comment about how those comments are full of fear, that what's happened to us, could very well happen to them.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2MA2NC View Post
Now I'm not under any illusion the job market is good but is it normal to be this hard to even get a phone call?
To be blunt?
Yes, it is that hard to get a phone call.

Lets put aside the sour-puss, the world is all ahgainst me, nonsense some throw out to mask their failure in life and not being able to get or hold a job. What is going on?

Years ago, a company post a job, they had a hundred or so applicants applying. NOW, they can have thousands applying. Just on that alone, your odds are drastically reduced from what most people assumed would be a normal hiring process.

next, you are in competition with many similarly situated (education and expereince) applicants in numbers we have not seen in a long time. So as the number of jobs go down the number of qualified applicats seeking open positions goes up.

Add to all this is that there are many current employed who did not loose their jobs but found themself now with wage freezes, cutback or increased work loads. They are looking and are also in competition for that job.

We all have seen the overqualifed person willing to compromise and now take that lesser position so they are earning wages. They add to the number of applicants and competition.

You have a large number of militray that are facing forced reductions and are now being basically laid off from the military. they are seeking jobs and some companies give preferances so not only are you in competetion with your skilled equals, but also in competetion with a national desire to employ those who served by giving them a chance even if more qualified by education and expereince candidates exist.

Companies are also discovering that their employees WILL work harder and longer and faster and better and more efficient, and not complain so long as they are working. The need to have 100 people has been reduced to maybe 90 thus eleiminating 10 jobs and sending 10 people searching for jobs and 10 less jobs for the 10 that were cut from another company on tiop of these 10 and the 10 from the company that just realized they can increase productivity while reducing head count and their employees will do it.

So, basically, its a very, very, very hard time to be looking and its a very frustrating issue. The question is, do you spend 12 hours a day on City Data responding to every emplyment post with the same tired old, worn out, complaining, whining, moaning about the man beating you down and not getting anywhere cause its everyones elses fault? OR, do you lift youtr head up, push asde those fools, maintain a positive attitude in the face of adversity, and get that elusive phone call that could be yopur next job invite because you are strong AND MATURE enough to not give up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search