U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,736,236 times

Advertisements

What is your area of expertise? Are you on LinkedIn and use that for both networking and job search?

How is your resume and interviewing skills? Perhaps they need a bit of fine tuning?

Lastly I would recommend you start volunteering for an organization. Keep yourself busy. This is impressive to potential employers, actually got me a job once because I had it on my resume.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:44 AM

2,677 posts, read 3,864,236 times
If you need a job to keep afloat then apply to retail/restaurant and leave all of your education off. Put a retail/restaurant job on your application and have a friend vouch as you manager. Don't use a chain restaurant name, something mom and pop. With the way things are, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,736,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
If you need a job to keep afloat then apply to retail/restaurant and leave all of your education off. Put a retail/restaurant job on your application and have a friend vouch as you manager. Don't use a chain restaurant name, something mom and pop. With the way things are, you gotta do what you gotta do.
I would say you can do this but don't lie using a friend to pretend he/she is your manager. Last way you want to start of a new job.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,562,727 times
Is there a father of this child who can help?

Did you plan to have a child while unemployed?

I would definitely consider relocating. I have seen some HR openings, but generally HR is a paper pushing compliance function, which gets CUT to the bone in recessions.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:49 AM

640 posts, read 1,087,162 times
The father is probably some ex-con "bad boy" thug guy who's getting love from big bubba right now. Yeah, you can't find a minimum wage jobs. Neither can I and I only have a G.E.D. You know why? Because the employers are egotistical and lazy. They will hire their friends or an attractive *deadbeat* female over someone who actually did some studying and has a conscience. Welcome to 2012, where you can be discriminated against for your race, gender, having brown hair, having a birth mark, etc. etc. Even a documented disability. YES, a disabled person who WANTS TO WORK, can get discriminated against, even if they are fully capable of doing the job. How? How could this happen? This is seri-.. YES, it is. Your system is corrupt. But people are programmed to believe it is their own fault. Not always so.

Employers and hiring managers are the new version of the Nazi's.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:09 AM

4,544 posts, read 4,728,739 times
You mentioned you were in human resources.

Have you tried SHRM's site?

How about this?

JobNet

This site usually lists job for those with I/O psych degrees, but they usually say/or HR related majors.

Also I have heard the society of human resource management (SHRM) also posts job on their website as well.

Hopefully this helps, good luck.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:30 AM

12,675 posts, read 14,012,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
The father is probably some ex-con "bad boy" thug guy who's getting love from big bubba right now. Yeah, you can't find a minimum wage jobs. Neither can I and I only have a G.E.D. You know why? Because the employers are egotistical and lazy. They will hire their friends or an attractive *deadbeat* female over someone who actually did some studying and has a conscience. Welcome to 2012, where you can be discriminated against for your race, gender, having brown hair, having a birth mark, etc. etc. Even a documented disability. YES, a disabled person who WANTS TO WORK, can get discriminated against, even if they are fully capable of doing the job. How? How could this happen? This is seri-.. YES, it is. Your system is corrupt. But people are programmed to believe it is their own fault. Not always so.

Employers and hiring managers are the new version of the Nazi's.
This nice lady came here and described here situation of hardship. While the situation is not looking good, she seems at least someone optimistic and remains polite and dignified. While the thread could have remained free of whining, self loathing, and hateful blame, you had to come along and change that. Thank you for your valuable contribution...

Old 07-20-2012, 05:41 AM

4,131 posts, read 4,777,847 times
Personally I would start looking out of state. Since you are in HR there really are not jobs for HR people in Florida. My ex co-worker got laid off from my previous job in June 2011, he just now found employment ( last month). He also has an MBA. Are you on linkedin? If I were you I would make a profile and start looking for HR recruiters..also I would do the google phone numbers and start looking in other states.

As you know Florida has a terrible economy and find a job here...well it seems difficult to say the least.

Good luck

Old 07-20-2012, 08:26 AM

2,677 posts, read 3,864,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I would say you can do this but don't lie using a friend to pretend he/she is your manager. Last way you want to start of a new job.
Why not? She needs some restaurant/retail experience on the application, what if they need to verify. Employers make you fill out an hour long application online these days with personality tests and the like and then never call you, I think it's acceptable. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:17 AM

640 posts, read 1,087,162 times
That's not equal opportunity employment if friends get preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or