Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM

86 posts, read 354,817 times

Advertisements

Good Morning Everyone:

I have been looking for a job for over a year. In the last few months I have expanded my search out of state (I live in Florida). I am willing to relocate. I have had no responses....except for rejection emails that state I am no longer being considered.

I am truly at a loss.

I cannot go back to school. I have 2 Bachelor degrees and my MBA. I have been working since I was 14 (I am now 35). I have over 15 years of professional, progressive human resource experience. This is my salary/career history:

Job 1: Earned $45k - exempt (salaried) employee
Job 2: Started at $45K...ended at $50K...exempt
Job 3: Started at $50K...ended at $63K+bonus...exempt
Job 4: Started at $72K...ended at $83K+bonus...exempt

Now...I can't even become employed for an hourly position. This week alone Target, Walmart, Office Depot, Macy's , Ross Dress for Less, Home Depot and Loew's all turned me down for sales associate/cashier positions.

Please offer me suggestions...my unemployment ends shortly. I have a 9 month old son. I am a single mother with no family. This is all on me.

I appreciate any feedback. Last week Adriadne22 offered suggestions and I have been acting on it.

Thank you,

Jennifer

Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
I suggested she expand her search to areas around DC where the money is, and other low unemployment areas. Hopefully, others can weigh in.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Hi Ariadne22:

Yes, thank you. I have expanded my search and have been applying in the areas you suggested.

Many thanks.

Just looking for more suggestions...as the old adage states..."Two heads are better than one."

Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 PM

307 posts, read 1,097,000 times
No one will likely hire someone out of state. I would suggest getting a few Google Voice numbers and put those on your resume. I would also look into North Dakota. They have very low unemployment.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:47 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
If you have a friend or relative in the state in which you wish to relocate - ask permission to use their address as your mailing address for cover letters. Sometimes, employers will not even bother with out-of-state resumes and if they feel you already live in the area, it might work more in your favor.

Are there any decent/ethical temporary or placement agencies in your area? If so, have you signed on with any of them?

Years ago when I was unemployed and single - I created income for myself by advertising as a personal household helper for seniors and working mothers - I did their groceries, walked pets, received packages, did light housekeeping and yard work, prepared meals, etc. Maybe this is something that might work for you.

Since you have small child of your own - could you maybe watch 2 or 3 other children in your home for pay?

Old 07-18-2012, 02:46 PM

good suggestions thank you...

Unfortunately, I won't consider watching any other children in my home. I do not want that liability.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:59 PM

326 posts, read 949,443 times
Have you applied with hotels/resorts? Travel and tourism (as I'm sure you know) are huge in this state and it seems as if there are always hotels hiring. I assume there are also many applicants for the positions as well, but you never know. I imagine you could always move up to a position you're used to working in as well if you get on with a big hotel. Down here in South Florida it seems as if it's almost necessary to be bilingual and I've even seen a few positions that pay little more than minimum wage wanting trilingual.

It's tough out there. I wish you luck.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:47 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,091 times
Definitely you and your baby are in a difficult situation and time. Did you try networking with people you knew from your previous jobs? What about contacting other people you knew in your field over the years? Or contacting acquaintances? You said you applied for everything, what about going to small businesses in person? Leaving behind a business card with your job skills on it, email and phone number. Or how about just talking to people as much as possible in person to let them know you are seeking work. It sounds like you might have to relocate, either way, you have tough decisions to make. All the best in your job search.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:15 AM

Hi:

Yep...I have been networking with previous co-workers and have been going to different meetup. com events, also...yes, delivering resumes in person, online searches, yes to hotels and tourism..

I honestly have tried most (90%) of what was mentioned above. I do appreciate the suggestions...I have wrote them down in list format and will make it my job to keep trying day in and out.

I cant even get an hourly minimum wage job...this is crazy...

Old 07-19-2012, 07:26 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennieb25 View Post
Hi:

Yep...I have been networking with previous co-workers and have been going to different meetup. com events, also...yes, delivering resumes in person, online searches, yes to hotels and tourism..

I honestly have tried most (90%) of what was mentioned above. I do appreciate the suggestions...I have wrote them down in list format and will make it my job to keep trying day in and out.

I cant even get an hourly minimum wage job...this is crazy...
Hi Jennie,

I feel for you on your frustration. You seemed to be waaaayy over qualified for any position. These employers are more than likely thinking you wouldn't be worth training because you will probably leave right away with your education and experience.

My suggestion to you is to move to Wyoming. Seriously. They cannot get enough people to fill positions out there. I overheard the starting pay for a McDonalds employee is $14 and hour.

I had a friend move there and met someone in town and told them he was there for an interview for a job and the local said, "Congratulations." Like he will get the job.

Plus, Wyoming has alot of sun. Probably more than Florida and less humid. Winters are dry.

My thoughts anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search