U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:57 PM

255 posts, read 573,837 times

Advertisements

Want to wish you the best of luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 06:22 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,969,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breneo View Post
Hi! I'm a finalist for a job in another state. I traveled there for my first interview but didn't have a chance to meet anyone except to answer the interviewers' questions.

My finalist interview will be via phone. What kinds of questions could I diplomatically ask to get a better sense of company morale, etc., without wrecking the chance to be hired?

If I'm selected, is it okay to ask for a chance to speak to a random staff member before I accept? Any ways to ask without making a negative impression?

Getting the job offer would be a big deal. I don't mind some unknowns and don't want to ruin the chance. But it would mean a costly move far away from family and friends.

P.S. Unfortunately, not a type of company where I could ask around in the industry network. I'm on my own for this one. Thanks!
Some of the questions I always ask in an interview:

1. Why is the position open? (Growth, replacement of a departing employee, etc).
2. What do you think is the most fulfilling aspect of this role?
3. What are the biggest challenges will this new person encounter in this role? (This is where I usually end up getting some pretty insightful responses about the 'timbre' of the place such as-- navigating various groups, being politick, etc.)
4. What are the department's/organization's biggest challenges?
5. What are the goals of the organization for this year (next few years), how does this role fit into them?
6. From your experience what are the most vital skills needed for this position that you may have not called out on the posting
7. What is the natural progression in this job (aka potential for advancement, is there a place to go?)

Sometimes I don't get all of them in-- I try to ask them throughout the interview and in my experience I have found that they give me a really good insight into what working in that environment is like. They are also usually disarming meaning I find the interviewers relax and end up telling me ALL kinds of good stuff (aka diarrhea mouth) to help me make my own decision.

The key, in my opinion and from my career coaches at school, is that you should have control of the interview so you are getting what YOU need from the interview to make your own decision. Think of the interview as something you called versus something you have to attend.

Good luck.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:12 PM

16 posts, read 16,386 times
Default Excellent insights and questions...

Many thanks for the insights and sample questions. I can see how tactful questions can elicit more information about the company. I'll politely ask for more information instead of just trying to say the right things so they hire me. Now I understand what "win-win" means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or