Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:57 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,030,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
1. Every industry has barrier entries to get into it. This is Business 101. Whether it's money or something else...how any early 20 somethings you know have the funds to start a successful business?

2. Having a job while you start your business is something to fall back. If you quit your job today or concentrate 100% in creating your business and 50/50 chance it will fail...then you have NOTHING to fall back on AND you lose money doing so.

3. It's not complaining nor excuses...it's called reality. Not everybody was meant to run their own business. Not everybody has it in them. Just like not everybody is made to be a lawyer or a doctor. Everybody in life weren't meant for certain things. Just the way life goes.
Thanks - I'd rep you again, if I could.

I am so tired of these "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" types denying reality. Apparently, citing facts, such as the failure rate of small businesses, the immense financial investment needed to get them going (if you intend to make any real money), and the fact that most home businesses are, at best, small sources of extra cash on the side is now "putting up barriers." Yes, facts are barriers to the great dream that each of us fully controls our own destiny - the Just World Fallacy strikes again!

And, for the record, I do sell prints of my artwork online. No, I'm not going to post a link since that would give away my identity, but yes, I do "own a small business" - one that in over a year has yet to produce enough money to pay a month's worth of rent. That's the way the real world works, regardless of one's "go getter" attitude and use of "positive thinking."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,473,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
1. Most small businesses fail within the first year...therefore you still need something to fall back on.
2. How many unemployed people you know have a lot of money laying around to invest in their business? I would like to open up my own business and the startup costs aren't that huge, BUT I would be fooling myself into thinking there's not some sort of start up investment to get it started.
3. Not every person is destined to become a manager or an owner. Not everybody was made for it.
Some businesses, namely internet/software companies, do not have very high startup costs (but be prepared to work hours and hours on end to get your product working.)

Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

I am so tired of these "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" types denying reality. Apparently, citing facts, such as the failure rate of small businesses, the immense financial investment needed to get them going (if you intend to make any real money), and the fact that most home businesses are, at best, small sources of extra cash on the side is now "putting up barriers." Yes, facts are barriers to the great dream that each of us fully controls our own destiny - the Just World Fallacy strikes again!

And, for the record, I do sell prints of my artwork online. No, I'm not going to post a link since that would give away my identity, but yes, I do "own a small business" - one that in over a year has yet to produce enough money to pay a month's worth of rent. That's the way the real world works, regardless of one's "go getter" attitude and use of "positive thinking."
Rep here. Most small business do fail. We are often told do what you love and the money will follow, However it never states how much money. One still needs to do important things like live, eat, pay expenses to keep the business running etc. Small part time things usually work in regards to bringing in some side income and it's not a drag if it is something you are passionate about, Like your artwork. Good post.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:35 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,030,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Rep here. Most small business do fail. We are often told do what you love and the money will follow, However it never states how much money. One still needs to do important things like live, eat, pay expenses to keep the business running etc. Small part time things usually work in regards to bringing in some side income and it's not a drag if it is something you are passionate about, Like your artwork. Good post.
Precisely!

I'm a big fan of people having income streams on the side, be it selling artwork, walking dogs, cleaning yards, handyman work, etc. But we need to be realistic about the income that can be generated from such ventures... you're not likely to be able to pay your bills on any of that type of stuff, and barring great luck, any job that could pay your bills falls into the catagory of needing: a lot start-up capital, a lot of luck and connections, and very special skills that can applied to that business. Most folks don't meet any of those requirements, and even if they do, most small businesses fail anyway.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,076 times
Valid points everyone! BUT I think some of you forgot the OTHER City-Data creed: The employer is ALWAYS right! NEVER EVER question The Employer, as they do no wrong or never behave poorly. It's always YOUR fault, got it? Good.
Now go out there and start your own business- I expect you all to be making six figures by the end of July. Failure to meet that goal can only mean you are lazy. I will NOT take care of you!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:36 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Valid points everyone! BUT I think some of you forgot the OTHER City-Data creed: The employer is ALWAYS right! NEVER EVER question The Employer, as they do no wrong or never behave poorly. It's always YOUR fault, got it? Good.
Now go out there and start your own business- I expect you all to be making six figures by the end of July. Failure to meet that goal can only mean you are lazy. I will NOT take care of you!!!

Repped

Old 07-23-2012, 03:39 PM

644 posts, read 1,144,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

Most business owners I know still had a job while their job was gaining its recognition. I don't know too many people who were broke as all get out and unemployed and said, "You know what?! I'm going to open up a business today with NO money!" I don't care what business your getting into, but it's not free to start anything in life.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Some businesses, namely internet/software companies, do not have very high startup costs (but be prepared to work hours and hours on end to get your product working.)
How many unemployed you know can afford all the high tech software involved to do it though? It doesn't matter what your business is, it requires some investment. I don't care if you're just selling a bottle of flavored water or getting into the repo business, you have to know what your barriers are and how it will cost to get into. When you create your Business Plan this is all apart of it.

For example, I would like to open up my own bakery business someday. Right now it would be convenient for me to sell online like a lot of people do nowadays, BUT...I'm unemployed..so where do you think I'm going to get the money for ingredients(you know how expensive food is nowadays?), how am I going to pay for the monthly cost of my own website(even places like etsy you still have to pay them to use them regardless if you sell anything or not), how am I going to pay for the equipment to make my baked goods, etc.

Especially in some states you're not even allowed to operate in your home, so you have to lease a space to do so...and that costs MONEY.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Also to add, "If you speak on your frustration with the way things are going although you made the efforts to do better in life...it's still your fault because you complain and whine too much."

Expressing yourself is "whining" and "complaining."

Old 07-23-2012, 03:56 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Hmmmmmmmm. I would be inclined to think that if an applicant had gazillion FB friends, that perhaps they had no real social life, with real live human beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search