U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,021,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Try to start your own business and stop waiting for someone to offer you a job. Sometimes in life, you have to take an alternate path.

There are plenty of businesses you can start for under $5000.

Most of which will end in you losing the $5000, never making a penny, and still being unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I thought I was the only one in this situation. Of course, I did land a few contract jobs but still I have had just as many interviews as the OP and did not get an offer (for a full time permanent position) from any of them. For the contract job I landed, it was quite strange in that I felt like the interviewer was trying to get me to succeed in the interview. I had little experience in the field and I personally stumbled on a lot of the questions but the interviewers did not seem to care and just joked around in an unprofessional manner and hired me regardless even if I didn't think my answers to their questions were strong since they told me bluntly that I got them wrong. IMO, I think a lot of interviewers already make up their mind on who they are going to hire even before the interview begins and are willing to cast aside bad interviews from their preferred candidates and just hire them anyways due to confirmation bias and etc.

I just went to an interview Tuesday where I wasnt even asked a single question, and said less than 50 words in 20 minutes. I think the interviewer made up his mind about me before I even opened my mouth. Never experienced anything like it in my life.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,470,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Most of which will end in you losing the $5000, never making a penny, and still being unemployed.
A business has a 66% chance of surviving 2 years and a 44% chance of making it to their 5th year.

What are the chances of an unemployed person finding a job within 2 years?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:13 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,262,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
The ONLY time I ever get hired is when I have a normal conversation with the manager who is interviewing me.
this is true for me as well. i'm great at sticking my foot in my mouth or concentrating on the wrong things in an interview. and the interviews with the idiotic textbook questions are companies that i would hate. even the jobs that had a panel with three different interviews that i waded through and was hired, turned out to be a nightmare. either they like you and it's a fit or never mind. i'm sure it's a good thing that some of those interviews DIDN'T turn in to jobs!

Old 07-27-2012, 12:49 PM

93 posts, read 150,794 times
but if a person is at least getting interviews, does that mean the HR Manager or Boss, anybody of Authority at the employer, actually checked, read the person's resume, job application?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:52 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,262,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HumanResources View Post
but if a person is at least getting interviews, does that mean the HR Manager or Boss, anybody of Authority at the employer, actually checked, read the person's resume, job application?
sure. what is it you are trying to ask? have you tried going through an agency? i never speak well for myself, but the agencies have often done a great job!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
sure. what is it you are trying to ask? have you tried going through an agency? i never speak well for myself, but the agencies have often done a great job!
yes i've applied to two temp agenices in the last 2 months and not one job offer there yet, no openings, the only temp agencies i know of in my area, and what i'm trying to ask is, if a person is getting interviews, does it mean their resume, job application looks fine and it is the interview performance that is killing my chances of getting hired? does the resume, application just get your foot in the door, the interview is the main hiring-factor?

Old 07-27-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A business has a 66% chance of surviving 2 years and a 44% chance of making it to their 5th year.

What are the chances of an unemployed person finding a job within 2 years?
Depends on when they became unemployed. However, there is a 100% chance of an unemployed person not losing money they dont have in the first place, if they dont try to start their own business.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,353,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HumanResources View Post
which is why i started my own thread regarding, what is the difference between a job seeker who applies for jobs but never gets any response, not even an interview, versus a job seeker who applies for jobs and they do get interviews but do not get hired, because for a very long time in my life i was unable to get job interviews but lately i have been getting them but no job offer yet.
The difference is if you are getting lots of interviews but no offers then that means you will always have a resume to generate interview offers but just have to think about how you can do better at the interview

If you have been applying to jobs and never ever get any calls back then that means something on your resume is turning off employers and you have to figure out why.

So I think it's better to be in a position where you get lost of interviews but no offer because that means it's ONLY A MATTER OF TIME before you are hired

Old 07-27-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The difference is if you are getting lots of interviews but no offers then that means you will always have a resume to generate interview offers but just have to think about how you can do better at the interview

If you have been applying to jobs and never ever get any calls back then that means something on your resume is turning off employers and you have to figure out why.

So I think it's better to be in a position where you get lost of interviews but no offer because that means it's ONLY A MATTER OF TIME before you are hired
yeah, i've now had 11 job interviews the last 7 months, since January, most recently i had an interview at Goodwill the day before yesterday, on Wednesday, no word yet if i'm hired or not, i even asked if they had a business card at the end of the interview, but they didn't, i ask that so i can follow up with a thank you e-mail after the interview, but some places i've interviewed at do not have business cards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or