U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:41 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,025,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
True - I've seen that before... who knows... maybe she wanted to me say, "Yes, I have a job, and yes I'm at work right now." But the second part has no bearing on unemployment benefits and is an easily dismissable lie since I was clearly being called on my home phone and one could ask my employer if I was at work at the time, and they would say no. Unless she *wanted* me to lie, so the state could catch me on it and then cut off my benefits and save some money...

I don't know, but I'm going to go with the simplier assumption - she was either a moron or a troll who was just enjoying the power she had.
Cant say the the simplier assumption isnt logical here. The officer I had my unemployment meeting with was cold, ignorant, and "holier than though". She reminded me of a DMV employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 12:41 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,492,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Is it an option? Yes.

Is it a viable option? Unless you have tons of capital on hand, or a safety net to fall in, no.
This is an incorrect assumption on your part. You don't need tons of capital. In many businesses you need minimal capital (service industry). For those that do need some capital, there's the JOBs Act.

What's the safety net for an unemployed person to fall in? There is none. So starting a business puts you in no worse position than being unemployed.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:42 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,492,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If someone was born last night they would think

1. All employed people are perfect
2. All employed people love all their coworkers
3. All employed people are normal
4. All employed people are have no criminal background

LOL
We both know that none of those are true about ALL employed people. But we do know that employed people are better at attaining and keeping jobs than unemployed people.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:19 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,385,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
We both know that none of those are true about ALL employed people. But we do know that employed people are better at attaining and keeping jobs than unemployed people.
Most people have a "uncontrollable negative view of unemployed people" because in this society we are taught that when someone is not working it's something WRONG WITH THEM.

And a friend of mine who started a job in April was let go in June because of performance. So not all employed people do a good job in retaining employment

Old 08-01-2012, 04:49 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,525,645 times
Quote:
Most people have a "uncontrollable negative view of unemployed people" because in this society we are taught that when someone is not working it's something WRONG WITH THEM.

And a friend of mine who started a job in April was let go in June because of performance. So not all employed people do a good job in retaining employment
1. No they don't - that's a ridiculous generalization.

2. People who can't perform their assigned tasks are let go all the time. Are you intimating that this is something you just learned?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:30 AM

7,478 posts, read 5,802,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
1. No they don't - that's a ridiculous generalization.

2. People who can't perform their assigned tasks are let go all the time. Are you intimating that this is something you just learned?
Point to consider: The fact that a disturbing number of companies have "no unemployed need apply" policies in place (or just toss all the resumes of the unemployed to the bottom of the pile) strongly indicates a hatred of the unemployed, one that is probably based around the rather popular opinion that "all unemployed people are lazy or unskilled."

From a business perspective, if given two candidates of approximately equal ability, the unemployed one is usually the better choice to hire. He can start work immediately and won't be as demanding about wages and benefits since anything is better than nothing. So, if refusing to hire the unemployed doesn't make sense from a business viewpoint, the only other option is some form of personal bias, as mentioned earlier.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:33 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Point to consider: The fact that a disturbing number of companies have "no unemployed need apply" policies in place (or just toss all the resumes of the unemployed to the bottom of the pile) strongly indicates a hatred of the unemployed, one that is probably based around the rather popular opinion that "all unemployed people are lazy or unskilled."

From a business perspective, if given two candidates of approximately equal ability, the unemployed one is usually the better choice to hire. He can start work immediately and won't be as demanding about wages and benefits since anything is better than nothing. So, if refusing to hire the unemployed doesn't make sense from a business viewpoint, the only other option is some form of personal bias, as mentioned earlier.
Moderator cut: deleted

BTW I noticed this in the past 3 days

"Only Internal Candidates are eligible for this Job"

"Please no drop offs, email or fax your resume"

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 08-01-2012 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: removed unnecessary personal remark

Old 08-01-2012, 03:28 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,525,645 times
Quote:

1. This is your opinion and not one which is generally shared, while "hatred" is an unfortunate choice of a word.

2. I strongly disagree. I have been for many years, and still am, part of a very active professional business community and don't know anyone who subscribes to this point of view. As an employer for many, many years until just recently when I closed my last business, it never once even remotely occurred to me to choose an unemployed applicant over an employed applicant because of the reasons you throw out. My hirings were based on who could best fill the position, who was best qualified. I can't imagine any business doing otherwise. In my opinion that's simply ludicrous.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,383,743 times
Quote:
The difference is if you are getting lots of interviews but no offers then that means you will always have a resume to generate interview offers but just have to think about how you can do better at the interview

If you have been applying to jobs and never ever get any calls back then that means something on your resume is turning off employers and you have to figure out why.

So I think it's better to be in a position where you get lost of interviews but no offer because that means it's ONLY A MATTER OF TIME before you are hired
i wish hiring-managers would give constructive criticism to those who got rejected for the job, so the rejected people can learn from their mistakes

Old 08-06-2012, 04:17 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
i wish hiring-managers would give constructive criticism to those who got rejected for the job, so the rejected people can learn from their mistakes
Sometimes it may have nothing to do with something a person did wrong if they reached the final round. The other candidate could just give off a more likable vibe who made the interviewer laugh more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or