U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:45 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,301,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Try to start your own business and stop waiting for someone to offer you a job. Sometimes in life, you have to take an alternate path.

There are plenty of businesses you can start for under $5000.
Like the poster has the money to start a business as they struggle to pay their bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 06:47 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Like the poster has the money to start a business as they struggle to pay their bills.
Those start your business posts are obvious troll remarks and should be reported.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:06 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,449,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
The entire purpose of the JOBs act is to resolve this. What's the issue here?

Old 08-08-2012, 02:32 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,382,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Sometimes it may have nothing to do with something a person did wrong if they reached the final round. The other candidate could just give off a more likable vibe who made the interviewer laugh more.
Still, I wish hiring-managers can be specifically, detailedly, blatantly honest with you, because i learn better when i receive specific feedback but apparently they don't want to risk getting sued

Old 08-08-2012, 04:58 PM

22,759 posts, read 16,836,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Try to start your own business and stop waiting for someone to offer you a job. Sometimes in life, you have to take an alternate path.

There are plenty of businesses you can start for under $5000.
Really? Like what?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 PM

so is it really the job interview itself that is the main, decisive-factor that results in getting the job offer or getting rejected by the job? the resume, application gets the applicant's foot in the door, gets them the interview?

Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 AM

15,028 posts, read 21,748,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
so is it really the job interview itself that is the main, decisive-factor that results in getting the job offer or getting rejected by the job? the resume, application gets the applicant's foot in the door, gets them the interview?
Absolutely. People can lie on their resume (as we have seen threads about this). The interview is to help one see how the person handles situations and if they would be a good fit for the employer.

Someone may be very qualified, but once interviewed the manager realizes they wouldn't 'gel' with the rest of the office. Or they may realize while the experience looks good on paper, discussing actual situations the interviewee doesn't know how to handle them.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Absolutely. People can lie on their resume (as we have seen threads about this). The interview is to help one see how the person handles situations and if they would be a good fit for the employer.

Someone may be very qualified, but once interviewed the manager realizes they wouldn't 'gel' with the rest of the office. Or they may realize while the experience looks good on paper, discussing actual situations the interviewee doesn't know how to handle them.
yeah because for a very long-time in my life whenever i applied for a job, i never even got an interview in the first place but lately i have been getting them, but unfortuneately they are not turning into job offers

Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
Interview is for a applicant to sell their personality traits that's connected to the job.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:37 PM

9,684 posts, read 15,871,097 times
If you're getting interviews, obviously the cutoff came AFTER you were interviewed.

Perhaps you did flub the interview, but from what you say I doubt it.

Try checking your own credit report.A poor report could hold you back. Also, do a background check on yourself. You might find inaccurate information, like criminal history, etc. Try Intellius.

I did find overlapping information about myself on some sites. Employers aren't going to chase down such information to verify it, they just go on to the next candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or