U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,610,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanab View Post
Do you all write down in your CV that you are unemployed or do you just leave the date open on the last position you had?

I tried both and if you leave your last position open like below with no closure date it's much easier to get interviews, just a secret tip to everyone struggling with coming to interviews.

Company A 2007 -
Title: Hiring Manager

When you are there they will probably ask you like "So you work at Company A today as...." No sorry but i left the company.....

I don't know how recruitment takes that, they beleive you are employed but then you are there they find out you actually doesn't have a job currently, no one has ever been annoyed by the whole thing to me but everything is relative.
It's a flat out lie and I would consider it being intentionally misleading and akin to an attempt to lie on the resume. I also would not let on to the candidate during the interview...however you better believe I would not hire the person and would make sure everyone in my job network knew of the issue.

The ONLY way this candidate would make it past me at this point is if they said "Oh my goodness that is an error" and only POSSIBLY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion but this goes both ways, most employers lie in one way or the other and you will not get your job today being total honest, honesty doesn't count in todays financial climate, i have tried both ways and honesty doesn't pay off at all.

Writing down you are unemployed might get an interview at your place but the common view is any unemployed people are not anything to spend time on, there is a reason for people not being honest today and that comes from attitude of employers towards unemployed people.

The employers wants to be impressed, they force applicants to shine on their CV or otherwise you get dumped, no interview at all except maybe a few.

Just look at people coming to the U.S from India in the tech sector, many lie about their university degrees and all kind of stuff and gets their jobs anyway.

If you are pin pointing small things in a CV you will not be good in hiring position as you look for the wrong information, i beleive anyone has to survive today and you need to sell your way in, remember the last time you met a honest salesguy? you wouldn't sell a thing if you were honest today.
I get the impression that you are currently unemployed, are doing this, are saying that it is getting you more interviews, but that at the end of the day you are still unemployed.

Is this accurate? If so, then it is getting you interviews but NOT a job. Which is, essentially, wasting your time.

And as for your last point about pinpointing things, you better believe that is EXACTLY what happens, I am in a hiring position, and people who I know who are also in hiring, we all look for the details. If you are not detailed on a document that not only represents you but should put your best foot forward, at what point exactly will you be detailed? If someone is not precise on their introduction (their resume) they are not going to be precise on the job.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:09 PM

69 posts, read 87,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Is this accurate? If so, then it is getting you interviews but NOT a job. Which is, essentially, wasting your time.
Who cares, i hope you also write down exact hour and day you left your last employer as well as otherwise you would be called a liar as well....

I except you are total honest with your employees as well after you hired them? eg if you really are in hiring position which i doubt you are considering how judgemental you are towards people.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:17 PM

2,371 posts, read 1,194,025 times
Quote:
It's a flat out lie and I would consider it being intentionally misleading and akin to an attempt to lie on the resume. I also would not let on to the candidate during the interview...however you better believe I would not hire the person and would make sure everyone in my job network knew of the issue.

The ONLY way this candidate would make it past me at this point is if they said "Oh my goodness that is an error" and only POSSIBLY.
People get interviews weeks after submitting a resume. So it's absolutely reasonable that 3 weeks before he did work at company A.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:04 PM

Who cares? Well, me for one. And I am guessing the people on here taking your advice, thinking that it will work, as it supposedly worked for you, also care. They need to know it isn't working for you so they know you are trying to get them to be not only unemployed but also liars.

You talk about a great system that you have found...yet refuse to say if it worked for you. Which means that it didn't work for you.

Quote:
Who cares, i hope you also write down exact hour and day you left your last employer as well as otherwise you would be called a liar as well....

My resume has month and year. On applications, I am easily able to put month, date and year of my employment, as in fact I DO know all of those dates.

I except you are total honest with your employees as well after you hired them? eg if you really are in hiring position which i doubt you are considering how judgemental you are towards people.

My current title is Human Resources Hiring/Compliance. I just extended an offer of placement to a candidate this afternoon. And, I am in recruiting, so I hire people all the time. As for judgmental, only against those who come here and try to convince people to lie.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
People get interviews weeks after submitting a resume. So it's absolutely reasonable that 3 weeks before he did work at company A.
And a professional candidate should bring a clean, current copy of their resume to any interview. That is Interviewing 101. And be prepared to have me notice any differences. An even more professional applicant will bring a new resume and be upfront that there have been changes in job status, etc. A resume with a "2007 - " just says "I am lying"

Old 07-25-2012, 07:58 AM

Stretching the truth=lying.

Hopefully anyone who sees this thread gets this far and sees that OP him/herself is finally calling it what it is, "stretching the truth"...I would hate to come back here and see stories of people who listened to OP, "stretched the truth" and lost the job opportunity.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:17 PM

69 posts, read 87,658 times
Quote:
Stretching the truth=lying.

Hopefully anyone who sees this thread gets this far and sees that OP him/herself is finally calling it what it is, "stretching the truth"...I would hate to come back here and see stories of people who listened to OP, "stretched the truth" and lost the job opportunity.
Well, just do a search for the word "lying" in the forum and you can go back and see how many threads there are about people that lie on their CVs.

It's called surviving and according to a article i read today 2/3 of all applicants do it in one way or the other, i am sure you have hired people with semi-fake resumes without you knowing it.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:34 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,131,480 times
I notice that the OP is posting from Sweden. I wonder if perhaps some of the fundamental differences of opinion here have more to do with differing realities between job-hunting in Sweden vs. job-hunting in the United States. Certainly the economies are considerably different, and Sweden's unemployment rate is lower than the US rate is. Those can both have a significant impact on the way a hiring manager views a resume.

In any case, let's keep the discussion on a general rather than a personal level, please, so that it can continue.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Well, just do a search for the word "lying" in the forum and you can go back and see how many threads there are about people that lie on their CVs.

It's called surviving and according to a article i read today 2/3 of all applicants do it in one way or the other, i am sure you have hired people with semi-fake resumes without you knowing it.
I am sure that I have. However, if there is a lie uncovered on a resume, the person is terminated. No matter how long they have been with the company or how many assignments they have been sent to. So, as the mod said, maybe it is fundamental differences in job hunting. However, lying is lying, no matter how common it is, how often it has been done, or how many "hits" come up in a search for lying on a resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search