U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 PM

112 posts, read 250,859 times

Advertisements

If I was in your situation I would try it ONE time. If I got the job, great! If not, I would not take the chance again. When my husband interviewed like this he had two phone interviews and then the company flew him out for the final interview. He still had to pay for his cab though which I thought was sort of annoying. He got the job so all of that did not matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 01:09 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,840,456 times
This part seems a bit odd to me:

"I'm expected to cover the cost of traveling across the country for the first interview"

It implies you might have to fly out there multiple times. I have interviewed many people from out of state (or country). We would never ask them to travel more than once.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:10 PM

10 posts, read 14,109 times
Thanks everyone for your responses!

Like I said, I don't mind paying travel expenses for an interview, because I did plan for it. I just couldn't understand the idea of paying to fly across the country for the INITIAL screening. I would think that at least a phone screening would be in order first. Then, if I'm still interested in the company and vice versa, I can shell out the last minute $600+ for a second interview. Luckily, another company in SF just contacted me to schedule a phone interview, so all hope isn't lost

Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,840,456 times
You have to ask yourself if this is a good use of your funds. What are the actual chances an initial interview goes anywhere without any kind of phone interview first? You may have to interview at 50 places before you are hired.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:37 PM

10 posts, read 14,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You have to ask yourself if this is a good use of your funds. What are the actual chances an initial interview goes anywhere without any kind of phone interview first? You may have to interview at 50 places before you are hired.

That's very true. Even with local jobs I've interviewed for, phone screenings usually came first. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going bananas.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:37 PM

28,569 posts, read 62,371,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVieEnRose89 View Post
I would think that at least a phone screening would be in order first.
And you would be right... that only makes good common sense. Video chat or something.

The sort of rigidity being demonstrated on their part (when it should be obvious that you are 3000 miles away)
should be taken as a warning about how they operate otherwise. Don't indict them totally because of this
but it's not unreasonable to consider them as having something to make up for.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:16 PM

69 posts, read 87,781 times
I can only reflect how it works in my country, here the employers are expected to pay for traveling so it's in their own interest to pay for the expenses you had getting there, and to be honest it's not much of money either for a corporation if they really wants you.

I am so glad we don't have phone screenings here, if they are interested you get to a real face to face interview with the manager of the group and some woman/guy from HR usually.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:26 PM

2,953 posts, read 8,638,207 times
Welcome to the REAL WORLD! You are not handed your job or expenses on a silver platter. You want it, then sacrifice for it. They may not have thought about searching outside their local area. Some companies would do an interview or two before they expect someone to go across country. I had a job back in '93, two interviews and tests in San Antonio, TX, then they had a plane ticket for me to go to corporate office in Virginia, roundtrip, one day, left at 6:30am, returned at midnite. That was the final vetting though.
Good luck, its better to live in the area first than to get a job and move there because of it. You get hired, and even tho you are supposed to start, you may not have all your ducks in a row about living, and all thats related to that. some people have stuff, even significant others and children to worrry about.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:40 PM

69 posts, read 87,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Welcome to the REAL WORLD! You are not handed your job or expenses on a silver platter. You want it, then sacrifice for it. They may not have thought about searching outside their local area. Some companies would do an interview or two before they expect someone to go across country. I had a job back in '93, two interviews and tests in San Antonio, TX, then they had a plane ticket for me to go to corporate office in Virginia, roundtrip, one day, left at 6:30am, returned at midnite. That was the final vetting though.
Good luck, its better to live in the area first than to get a job and move there because of it. You get hired, and even tho you are supposed to start, you may not have all your ducks in a row about living, and all thats related to that. some people have stuff, even significant others and children to worrry about.
Unemployed people can't afford flight tickets, how do you suppose they should finance it with the benefits they get?

Let's say you apply for 2 jobs and needs to take a flight and then gets a rejection letter for both?

People with jobs can afford it better but it's always the employers responsibility to pay for expenses, they are the one who took the first contact so it's in their own interest.

I agree that it's always better to be at location before applying for jobs, you have a bigger chance getting it.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:46 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,625,672 times
I think it depends on how interested you are in them. My husband interviewed out of state about 6x while he was unemployed and virtually all of the companies paid for/reimbursed him for expenses. It depends on the company and their budget and I also think it is a way for them to discern how interested you are in working for them. There are probably lots of folks who would love an all expense paid trip to San Fransisco for a few days. Have you got a buddy who might be interested in traveling with you, maybe spend a couple days looking around after the interview (in case they want a 2nd interview while you are in town) and potentially look at areas you may want to investigate as living space if you do get the job. The competition is tough and you have to be ready to step up. I wish you the very best of luck. Don't be discouraged - after all they did call and extend you a great opportunity if you choose to view it that way. Lots of companies aren't even interested in applicants who are not local. And, you can claim the travel expenses on your taxes. Just be sure to keep all your receipts.

Last edited by CFoulke; 07-24-2012 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or