U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:38 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,853,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanab View Post
Unemployed people can't afford flight tickets, how do you suppose they should finance it with the benefits they get?

Let's say you apply for 2 jobs and needs to take a flight and then gets a rejection letter for both?

People with jobs can afford it better but it's always the employers responsibility to pay for expenses, they are the one who took the first contact so it's in their own interest.

I agree that it's always better to be at location before applying for jobs, you have a bigger chance getting it.
The applicant is entitled to nothing but a fair and honest interview.
If they can't afford to travel for the interview, I'm sure the local McDonalds is within walking distance.

How many times have I read right here on this forum that employers are wrong fro getting concerned or checking the finacial status of an applicant? It's the same old broken record that in today's enviroment, employers need to ignore someones less than stellar fincnail record. So, by that thinking, why should an employer care one bit if you can or can not afford a plane ticket? That's on the applicant to be able to get to the interview, not the employer. If they don;t do phone interviews, they don;t do it. Its the company's and only the company's business how they do hiring, just like its the applicants busines to say sorry, not interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 06:43 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,065,526 times
Quote:
People with jobs can afford it better but it's always the employers responsibility to pay for expenses, they are the one who took the first contact so it's in their own interest..
the OP made the first contact-seeking the job. Until one does that, the employer doesn't know you.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 PM

69 posts, read 87,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
the OP made the first contact-seeking the job. Until one does that, the employer doesn't know you.
Ah ok, i didn't read that part, thought it was the opposite.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,606,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I understand the OP's frustration. Why wouldn't they do a 1st interview over the phone? This could at the very least let the employer and the OP know whether or not it is a good fit. I would understand if this were a second interview, but a first interview?

They contacted the OP interested, no they are not obligated to do a thing. But I would think that a company would be willing and understanding to do a phone interview. IMO not worth your time or money.
Some companies choose not to do any phone interviews, which is their right. And if OP wants to be in the running for a position with a company that does not phone screen, then OP needs to travel and make arrangements to get to the interview just like all the other applicants are doing. A request for a 1st interview isn't a summons. The company is not forcing OP to interview and spend money, OP has a choice.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:09 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,091,072 times
I recently had an out of state interview after a phone interview and an out of state interview without a phone interview. In the latter interview the interviewer even seemed surprised when I mentioned I was from another state. He was interviewing a lot of people and I guess he preferred cutting out the phone interview and instead meeting his candidates in person. It can ultimately boil down to an interviewer's preference.

I really don't mind as long as I'm able to pull off a good interview and think I stand a chance at being hired. I also don't expect the employer to pay for my hotel or travel expenses. It would be nice, but it's not the employer's fault I live out of state and when one chooses to seek out of state work, they should be aware of the expenses.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,203,760 times
I just got a call today from a recruiter and they had a Tech Writer job in Greenville, SC. They talked to me about the job and it was agreed that a webcam Skype interview would do. Sure beats draving or flying 720 miles just for an interview!

If you are very far away from an interview you should agree to a Skype webcam interview!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:09 PM

69 posts, read 87,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
If you are very far away from an interview you should agree to a Skype webcam interview!
And if you don't own a Webcam what do you do then?

If they wanted you to fly there they need to assure you get the job or they pay for the flight, nothing else should apply in the real world.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:56 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,203,760 times
Buying a good webcam is $30 to $90 and that certainly is way cheaper than traveling to a long distance interview.

Back in 2008 a Chicago company was interested in me while I lived in Houston. They wanted an in person interview and I said I will not do that unless they pay my airfare or travel expenses. I told them they should settle for a Skype or telephone interview but they wouldn't. So I didn't bother with them, since 90% of my Chicago interviews never result in a job.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:59 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
From their perspective they are not refusing anything. In fact, they are offering you the opportunity to interview with them if you so choose. They have no obligation to pay for any of it.
This. If you don't want to pay the cost of travel, pass on the interview. You choice, and no guarantees.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,759,971 times
Quote:
And if you don't own a Webcam what do you do then?
Buy one. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or