U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,611,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanab View Post
And if you don't own a Webcam what do you do then?

If they wanted you to fly there they need to assure you get the job or they pay for the flight, nothing else should apply in the real world.
Oh give me a break. Good to know the useless advice is available all over. A job interview is not a summons. OP applied for a job in an area in which he/she intends to relocate. It is the OP's problem to get to and from the interview. The company didn't have an ad that said "apply from all over we will pay your costs"

As for the real world, in yours, lying and stretching the truth are not the same thing...so, I am not at all surprised your definition of the "real world" and reality are so far removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 10:40 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,862,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Oh give me a break. Good to know the useless advice is available all over. A job interview is not a summons. OP applied for a job in an area in which he/she intends to relocate. It is the OP's problem to get to and from the interview. The company didn't have an ad that said "apply from all over we will pay your costs"

As for the real world, in yours, lying and stretching the truth are not the same thing...so, I am not at all surprised your definition of the "real world" and reality are so far removed.

This mentality that everyone owes me something is why so many of them are still out of work! If they spent as much time working at getting a job over all the moaning and groaning they do, they would have been employed a long time ago.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post

This mentality that everyone owes me something is why so many of them are still out of work! If they spent as much time working at getting a job over all the moaning and groaning they do, they would have been employed a long time ago.
I agree. I lost my job in the end of February in a lay off. By April I had started a new job. But, it is much more fun to complain, blame others, and try to use the economy as an excuse than it is to go on interviews.

Apparently.

Personally, I was more fond of actually going on interviews. You think that is why I got a new job? *pondering*

Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,743,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I agree. I lost my job in the end of February in a lay off. By April I had started a new job. But, it is much more fun to complain, blame others, and try to use the economy as an excuse than it is to go on interviews.

Apparently.

Personally, I was more fond of actually going on interviews. You think that is why I got a new job? *pondering*
Funny, I HATE interviewing. I am in the process now and cannot stand to go on one more interview. (knock wood) they have all gone well, and luckily I am interviewing with several companies. That said, I just want to get an offer and move on!

It can put you in a sticky situation where there is one company you like better than the other, but have to do a balancing act to find out if that is the offer you get. I don't want to put my eggs all in one basket, but found the job I want. So I want to STOP interviewing but can't, just in case it doesn't work out.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 AM

I don't like the actual interview process (actually it is the filling out the applications that I hate, LOL) but the process, attempting to move forward and find something, is MUCH better than sitting round whining.

Best of luck with yours!

Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 AM

10 posts, read 14,093 times
Lol, well this took a turn. But thanks everyone for your replies! As an update: I had my phone interview with a different company in SF yesterday. It was a conference call with the two hiring managers. It went well and I'm flying out next week for the face-to-face, at my expense. No complaints about this one, since I feel a bit more confident about the company.

But just to clarify, for anyone who missed it, I didn't think the first employer owed me an all-expense paid trip to SF. I just would have liked a phone or Skype interview, or at least a few more details on the position and company before investing in the trip.

Thanks again!

Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 PM

319 posts, read 453,631 times
Since you will be out there, do you still plan to interview with the first company? You don't have anything to lose, and you may find that the first company is actually a better fit for you.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:34 PM

10 posts, read 14,093 times
Yes, I am going to set something up with the first company since I'll already be there=)

Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,776,585 times
Try like hell to set up another one.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:20 PM

169 posts, read 424,993 times
I have never had an on-site interview where the company does not offer to pay for travel, lodging, meals etc..

I would not have much expectation for employee benefits if a company does not even reimburse out of state candidates... If they don't have the budget, they can surely do phone interview, Skype/webex interview...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or