U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 04:02 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,091,487 times

Advertisements

Ah, it's so brutal. Even if the interview went really well (I think mine went pretty well), a thousand scenarios still play around in your head, making it easy to over-analyze the situation. How does everyone cope with the waiting after an interview? After my last interview, no one ever got back to me with an answer after I drove 700 miles to interview with their company. I hear that's to be expected nowadays, but it seems kind of unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 04:21 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,627,672 times
I got a job offer late Thursday night, was supposed to start Friday. No word. I sent a "breezy" email inquiring on Friday if he got my response that yes, I would start on Friday. Nothing. I sent a text Monday morning, asking if he was receiving my emails, that I wasn't receiving his. Nothing. Maybe he went with someone else? I don't know, but if he contacts me and the first sentence doesn't include the phrase, "I'm really sorry, but this really bad thing happened to me and I've been unable to use the phone and email..." then he will hear back from me just what I heard from him... nothing. (As to the equipment he shipped me already... it's severance, as far as I can tell)

Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,789,309 times
Yeah, the waiting game is brutal... at least you got an interview, so that's a start!

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,454,407 times
Last interview I had, after a discussion about quality and work ethics, the hiring manager told me I was exactly what the company was needing and looking for in an employee. @ weeks later I get a letter from them offering their apologies and stating that im not the kind of worker theyre looking for. It looks like more and more businesses are going towards quantity over quality.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:41 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,736,236 times
Lucky enough to be interviewing for a few different companies. Worst part is the job you want is generally the last one to make you the offer. Hoping to have two offers by next week if all goes well. FINGERS CROSSED!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:21 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,091,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I got a job offer late Thursday night, was supposed to start Friday. No word. I sent a "breezy" email inquiring on Friday if he got my response that yes, I would start on Friday. Nothing. I sent a text Monday morning, asking if he was receiving my emails, that I wasn't receiving his. Nothing. Maybe he went with someone else? I don't know, but if he contacts me and the first sentence doesn't include the phrase, "I'm really sorry, but this really bad thing happened to me and I've been unable to use the phone and email..." then he will hear back from me just what I heard from him... nothing. (As to the equipment he shipped me already... it's severance, as far as I can tell)
Wow, I would be so frustrated. Getting a job offer can be really exciting. That would be such a let down if they withdraw it, not to mention completely unprofessional. Hopefully it works out for the best for you. Sometimes these things happen for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Yeah, the waiting game is brutal... at least you got an interview, so that's a start!

Good luck!
Thanks! And yeah, getting interviews is a start, but an offer would be really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Last interview I had, after a discussion about quality and work ethics, the hiring manager told me I was exactly what the company was needing and looking for in an employee. @ weeks later I get a letter from them offering their apologies and stating that im not the kind of worker theyre looking for. It looks like more and more businesses are going towards quantity over quality.
It's always hard getting the rejection note, but I prefer getting them over waiting weeks and weeks and never hearing anything back. I understand that hiring managers are busy, but sending a quick email notifying the applicant of their decision to look elsewhere doesn't take a lot of effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Lucky enough to be interviewing for a few different companies. Worst part is the job you want is generally the last one to make you the offer. Hoping to have two offers by next week if all goes well. FINGERS CROSSED!
Fingers are crossed. I hope you get both! Good luck with the wait.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:48 AM

15,024 posts, read 21,736,236 times
Interesting article they had on LinkedIn about people who do not send out a letter to potential employees that they did not get the job. This will at times cause a company to lose business.

The example they gave was retail stores. Many people who apply are customers who love the store and clothes. They are treated so badly after the interview that they don't shop again. And of course, tell everyone that they won't shop there and why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or