U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,788,273 times

Advertisements

I don't know...This is summer...wear a casual skirt, and blouse. I usually wear all black. Can't go wrong with black...flats, not dressy shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 05:04 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,905,096 times
I agree with Marie, they specifically stated its not neccessary and they gave you a heads up about the atmosphere.

I once heard that creative thinkers like to see people stripped of the outter package so they can see the inner package. For men, a suit si a suit is a suit and there isnlt that much creative or fashion behind black or navy. havingt o dress down, jacket, blazer, shirt, appropriate tie, the slacks, all these expose some creativity of the person that is normally hidden by the same old, same old standard suit. In other words, they are trying to see a glimpse into the person.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:37 PM

70 posts, read 208,521 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I think I may stick with the suit, luckily it's a brown suit and not the standard black. I'm going to leave the blazer unbuttoned and wear a professional yet stylish pink lace blouse. I hope I'm not overdoing it with the blazer, but I think the colors I'm using won't come across as too stuffy.

Thanks again!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:38 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,691,862 times
No suit and no black. Be creative, show your personality. I'd go with something bright. Not beachy but bright. I'm mentally going through my closet and I've got a brighter (not neon) blue linen matching pants and blouse that I pair with a colorful chunky statement necklace and bronze ballet flats. That's what I'd be wearing.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:46 PM

6,272 posts, read 18,943,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elletee View Post
Thanks for the tips, everyone! I think I may stick with the suit, luckily it's a brown suit and not the standard black. I'm going to leave the blazer unbuttoned and wear a professional yet stylish pink lace blouse. I hope I'm not overdoing it with the blazer, but I think the colors I'm using won't come across as too stuffy.

Thanks again!
I wouldn't do this! They told you how to dress and I think you should do as told. You don't know if they will look at your refusal to listen to them as a refusal to do the job duties as instructed. Besides, it's nearly 100 degrees out my way right now; a suit is overkill in this heat and many offices have relaxed dress code in the summer because of it.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:50 PM

70 posts, read 208,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I wouldn't do this! They told you how to dress and I think you should do as told. You don't know if they will look at your refusal to listen to them as a refusal to do the job duties as instructed. Besides, it's nearly 100 degrees out my way right now; a suit is overkill in this heat and many offices have relaxed dress code in the summer because of it.
Hmm, maybe I'll wear the blouse, slacks and a black cardigan then. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2012, 07:36 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,224,876 times
I work in IT and we DON'T wear suits, and we tell potential candidates to NOT wear a suit to the interview. You'd be surprised how many people will show up in a suit anyway and it blows my mind every time.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:15 PM

4,523 posts, read 2,899,266 times
Basically, 2 different cases are:

1) you wear a suit, and you get dinged for not following instructions. However, I always wear a suit if I have nothing to go on.

2) You don't wear a suit, you fit in, but out of some odd roll of the dice, the HM (dunno if this is the same person as the HR manager) happens to be looking for a suit. You get points for following instructions, but the HM has to be the one who knows about this.

I'd go with #1. That's better of the 2 IMO. I would show up in business casual.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:35 PM

9,812 posts, read 17,047,608 times
I would follow the instructions I was given.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:46 PM

701 posts, read 928,428 times
I would follow the instructions too. Interview protocol depends on the company and the industry. There is NO "one size fits all." What is completely appropriate for one industry is certain death in another.

True story: my first post-college interview was with a very small, very informal R&D Technology company that had ties to the entertainment/creative industry. They needed a grunt who was willing to sweep up sawdust, drive a truck, do fiberglass layup, etc. I knew that I should dress casually for the interview, but my sister's boyfriend, who was a very corporate publishing type, insisted over and over and over and over again that I MUST, absolutely, positively MUST wear a "dark suit, red tie, white shirt, and polished shoes." I kept telling him over and over again that it wasn't that type of work environment, but he insisted with absolutely certainty that if I did not follow his dress code, I would never have a snowball's chance in hell of getting the job. Since he was quite a bit older and more experienced than me, I took his advice, despite the fact that my intuition told me he was 100% wrong.

And he was 100% wrong. More like 1000% wrong. I met perhaps 6 people that day, and every single one of them remarked on how ridiculously overdressed I was in my stupid "dark suit, white shirt, red tie, and polished shoes." Every single one of them. I gave them the impression that I wasn't willing to do grunt work, and no matter how much I tried to tell them that I was, that stupid uniform told them I wasn't.

So PLEASE, when the interviewer gives you hints, take them. Example:

Getting Hired: To Work at IDEO, Skip the Suit, Tell a Compelling Story and Don't Be Creepy! - Core77

It completely depends on the industry, the company, and the culture at that company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or