U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:08 PM

18,945 posts, read 9,657,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
lifeexplorer no offense but I would not like having you for a boss.....
Why? Because I demand "failure is not an option"? You know I spend a lot of my time coach my team and help them to be successful. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 01:09 PM

18,945 posts, read 9,657,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
are you saying there is literally nothing beyond any person's control?
I am saying you haven't put in nearly enough effort to say "this is beyond my control."

Old 08-19-2012, 01:10 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,621,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am saying you haven't put in nearly enough effort to say "this is beyond my control."
Seriously. Walk away.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:11 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,181,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why? Because I demand "failure is not an option"? You know I spend a lot of my time coach my team and help them to be successful. :-)
I am successful. I just dont like to be micromanaged.

different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:19 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,382,884 times
alright, so i will conclude it as that my interview skills need improvement, i'd say that is the best option to improve upon

Old 08-20-2012, 01:53 AM

9,688 posts, read 15,884,865 times
Ummmm....maybe the OP stinks? I mean, literally, stinks!

My ds stinks! I don't know why, he insists he bathes every night, has all the right stuff, deodorant, shampoo, soap, etc, but I can't get downdraft from him. OP, maybe he should have someone give him an honest opinion?

Personally, I can't STAND all the clashes of smells people use, everything scented, from laundry soap, deodorant, shampoo, etc. now the newest is peach/mango scented deodorant! And, for women.....well, let's not go there!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:14 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,382,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ummmm....maybe the OP stinks? I mean, literally, stinks!

My ds stinks! I don't know why, he insists he bathes every night, has all the right stuff, deodorant, shampoo, soap, etc, but I can't get downdraft from him. OP, maybe he should have someone give him an honest opinion?

Personally, I can't STAND all the clashes of smells people use, everything scented, from laundry soap, deodorant, shampoo, etc. now the newest is peach/mango scented deodorant! And, for women.....well, let's not go there!
I'll just start volunteering at a Hospital in one of those gift-shops, those gift-shop cashiers, just to get more cashier training and experiece(apparently it counts as experience)

Old 08-23-2012, 03:30 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,786,692 times
I've rarely "aced" technical interviews.. usually these are my kiss of death. I used to lock up and stutter on these but nowadays, I simply tell them "I don't know" or some variant of that in a confident tone when I'm unable to answer a technical question (even if I know it but cannot overcome the nervousness.)

Anyone have experience dealing with technical interviews, preferably one with a "Plan B" in case you can't answer the question (either due to lack of knowledge or nervousness)?

Old 08-23-2012, 04:21 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,816,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I've rarely "aced" technical interviews.. usually these are my kiss of death. I used to lock up and stutter on these but nowadays, I simply tell them "I don't know" or some variant of that in a confident tone when I'm unable to answer a technical question (even if I know it but cannot overcome the nervousness.)

Anyone have experience dealing with technical interviews, preferably one with a "Plan B" in case you can't answer the question (either due to lack of knowledge or nervousness)?
I am not sure what kind of technical interviews you are referring to but generally you should mention that you don't know the answer to it but that you will try to use the best of your ability to answer it. I am more familiar with technical finance interviews and I usually did this and answered to the best of my ability and I usually passed on to the next round. Of course, there was one technical interview I had where I pretty much aced every single technical question they gave me but I still didn't get the offer. It honestly depends on the interviewer. In any case, I think this applies whether it is a programming technical interview or a finance technical interview. You should study up on the technical topics before an interview and prepare as much as you can. You don't want to screw up very basic technical questions (for example: one person I know couldn't answer a basic accounting question, Asset = Liabilities and Owners' Equity). Screwing up a basic technical question usually does mean the end of an interview.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:29 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,632,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Definitely.

Sometimes they will ask you what a former boss was like and if you start bad-mouthing that boss, say he or she was an idiot, or even imply it, it would be a big red flag going up.

Or they will ask you what you liked and disliked about your last job -- so you have to make sure you keep it positive. You can admit to personality differences if you must but you need to make sure you are very careful not to talk bad about the job or the boss.
Absolutely. One answer I've used that got empathy from the interviewer was, "Sometimes it's just time to move on to try something different." It's vague and not negative.

As far as describing a nutty former boss, I've said something along the lines of, "It was an interesting position and I grew both in my professional and inter-personal skills while working for Mrs. X."

Basically divert and deflect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or