U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:28 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,916,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanab View Post
At my last inteview two weeks ago they followed up and told me they wanted people that were less entrepeneurial, otherwise they would have offered me the job she said.
That's a new one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:35 AM

69 posts, read 87,781 times
Or when some idiots call you for a job you applied to and the manager in the phone asks you what you want to work with?

What kind of question is that? if i applied for the job he knows what i want to work with.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,468,158 times
Quote:
Or when some idiots call you for a job you applied to and the manager in the phone asks you what you want to work with?

What kind of question is that? if i applied for the job he knows what i want to work with.
or "are you a team player?" If i wasnt id go into business for myself.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:33 PM

93 posts, read 150,910 times
Quote:

well it doesn't surprise me, when even low-end jobs, minimum-wage jobs, entry-level jobs, still get flooded, bombarded with resumes, applications, it's probably very easy for them to forget, but nevertheless it is still very frustrating, but the fact i've been getting interviews lately is something new because remember, for a very long time when i applied for jobs, not only would i not get hired, i would not get an interview in the first place, so something must be new, something must have changed and i am not aware of it

Old 07-27-2012, 12:39 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,671,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Remember when the interview process was this:

"Are you a hard worker?"

"Yes, Sir, I am"

"Can you start tomorrow?"

"Yes, Sir, I can"

"Welcome to the team"
Even my first interview for my first job in high school asked more than that. They wanted to know if I could be flexible with my hours on weekends and summers. They wanted to know what I was studying in school and what I thought I might want to do after I graduated.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:56 PM

so the resume, job application is what gets the person's foot in the door, leads to the interview? because i'm guessing the employers i've had interviews at this year probably saw something they liked on my resume, application, enough to get me an interview

Old 07-27-2012, 02:35 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,468,158 times
i keep getting told that i have to fight to get a job and its not about fighting. There is no fighting in todays job market. You fight and youre seen as harassing, defensive, short tempered, etc etc etc. Nobody is hiring the most qualified, or the person willing to learn, or try hard. Its all about who shows theyll do whatever it takes to be a company man and make the company extra money. After this huge recession all these businesses want to make up for lost profits and if youre not willing to sacrifice your personal time, weekends, and first born, then they will pass on hiring you and not even bother telling you why (because that would cost money and need as much as they can get).

Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,671,366 times
Quote:
i keep getting told that i have to fight to get a job and its not about fighting. There is no fighting in todays job market. You fight and youre seen as harassing, defensive, short tempered, etc etc etc. Nobody is hiring the most qualified, or the person willing to learn, or try hard. Its all about who shows theyll do whatever it takes to be a company man and make the company extra money. After this huge recession all these businesses want to make up for lost profits and if youre not willing to sacrifice your personal time, weekends, and first born, then they will pass on hiring you and not even bother telling you why (because that would cost money and need as much as they can get).
Moderator cut: deleted

I'm a hiring manager, and I hire the best person for the job. That takes into account their experience, personality, and yes, flexibility if I need them to work overtime some times.

By the way, if my company doesn't make money then no one who earns a paycheck there will have a job. I don't think my employees want to work for free, nor would I expect them to...

And no, I won't tell someone why I didn't hire them because I refuse to give someone ammunition to try to sue me, even if they have no case.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 08-11-2012 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: removed personal comment

Old 07-27-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
yeah i know, and at the same time you can't just wait or expect to hear back from them, you have to make the first move on them, you have to chase them, and when you are just being assertive by calling them, they will think you are a pest, harassing them, etc.

Also, i don't see how someone can sue an employer for rejecting them, why they did not hire them, when after all, in capitalism and free enterprise, private property is legally allowed to do what it wants, i thought there was no such thing as discrimination

Old 07-27-2012, 05:31 PM

810 posts, read 1,546,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HumanResources View Post
yeah i know, and at the same time you can't just wait or expect to hear back from them, you have to make the first move on them, you have to chase them, and when you are just being assertive by calling them, they will think you are a pest, harassing them, etc.

Also, i don't see how someone can sue an employer for rejecting them, why they did not hire them, when after all, in capitalism and free enterprise, private property is legally allowed to do what it wants, i thought there was no such thing as discrimination
Unfortunately in today's world you can sue someone for practically anything, so I understand why hr can't tell you why you were not hired. I don't think that is fair at all because it would be helpful if you could get honest feedback from hr.
I am in the same situation, I have even had 2 mock interviews with the workforce connection office and received positive feedback. I was in a temp office interview and the person looked at my resume and said "You have a solid work history with a major company, good skills, you are presentable and professional, why are you not working full time and getting more money?" I just responded with something like I really wish I knew that one.
It's frustrating, but try to look at it this way with each interview you have you should be getting more relaxed and if you have any nervous habits then you should be dropping them with your experience.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or